Author Topic: Windows 7 Starting in Repair Mode after attempt upgrade from Free 4.8 to AIS  (Read 15982 times)

Mackinaw

Need some helpful advise with this. 
Background:  Have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit having performed an upgrade from Vista.  Had Avast Home Edition 4.8.1368 Free installed on Vista and 7.  Defender is on board as well.
Started getting a pop up (from Avast) regarding pending registration key expiration (11/1/10) about a month ago.  In the last couple of weeks, the Action Center started calling out an issue with not recognizing active anti-virus even though I was getting updates and could run scans with Avast.  Thought it was not one of the recognized AV for MS but found it was.  Then thought it was related to the pending expiration.  Decided to go ahead and upgrade to AIS.  Do not recall if I went via the pop link or the Avast site.  Completed the transaction, downloaded the software and installed the software, got the license, rebooted.  Didn't reboot fully - went to BSD and the option to repair or to start normally, opted for the former, which returns me to the restore point prior to installation.

Have been reading about both (related??) issues on Forum - the "nonrecognition" and the installation problem.  I have tried these steps:  downloaded Avast uninstaller, rebooted to Safe Mode to remove both 4.8 and AIS, returned to Normal, tried install again but still getting no farther than repair/restore.  Tried reinstalling 4.8 with what I believe is the original app and it failed.  Got a log that included the line "Operating system:  Windows Vista ver 6.1., so did not try that original app or 4.8.1368.

I have run Malwarebytes scan and no issues found.  Have run ccleaner as noted in some posts to get after any left over AV files.  I had AVG on the machine the first day (by mistake - had it on a previous box and did not care for it any longer but had a brain misfire and downloaded when this PC was new) and have run the uninstaller with nothing found on the machine.

Ideas?  Wondering about the Vista to MS 7 upgrade and any impact.

CharleyO

Bump

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Need some helpful advise with this. 
Background:  Have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit having performed an upgrade from Vista.  Had Avast Home Edition 4.8.1368 Free installed on Vista and 7.  Defender is on board as well.
Started getting a pop up (from Avast) regarding pending registration key expiration (11/1/10) about a month ago.  In the last couple of weeks, the Action Center started calling out an issue with not recognizing active anti-virus even though I was getting updates and could run scans with Avast.  Thought it was not one of the recognized AV for MS but found it was.  Then thought it was related to the pending expiration.  Decided to go ahead and upgrade to AIS.  Do not recall if I went via the pop link or the Avast site.  Completed the transaction, downloaded the software and installed the software, got the license, rebooted.  Didn't reboot fully - went to BSD and the option to repair or to start normally, opted for the former, which returns me to the restore point prior to installation.

Have been reading about both (related??) issues on Forum - the "nonrecognition" and the installation problem.  I have tried these steps:  downloaded Avast uninstaller, rebooted to Safe Mode to remove both 4.8 and AIS, returned to Normal, tried install again but still getting no farther than repair/restore.  Tried reinstalling 4.8 with what I believe is the original app and it failed.  Got a log that included the line "Operating system:  Windows Vista ver 6.1., so did not try that original app or 4.8.1368.

I have run Malwarebytes scan and no issues found.  Have run ccleaner as noted in some posts to get after any left over AV files.  I had AVG on the machine the first day (by mistake - had it on a previous box and did not care for it any longer but had a brain misfire and downloaded when this PC was new) and have run the uninstaller with nothing found on the machine.

Ideas?  Wondering about the Vista to MS 7 upgrade and any impact.
Hi Mackinaw, i find that the uninstaller's still seem to not remove all the remains of our leftovers, what i do is type avg in the run bar hit enter and then click the computer tab and let it search and if it finds anything related to avg then delet it, you can also type avast and search that then type alwil and search and delet any leftovers that popup. This option has always found the extra bit's for me that the uninstaller's fail to clean.

Mackinaw

:)Thanks craigb, I will give that a try.  I noticed folders remain in ProgramData for Avast.

???CharleyO, Bump???

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
No worrie's. Avg is a real pain to, had to uninstall from my brother's cpu and even after running the uninstaller and a window's search for leftover's i still found lot's of it through the software location's under regedit, this is also necessary for symantic.

CharleyO

Your post had gone down the list without a reply and I "bumped" it back to the top since I did not have time to answer as I was very sleepy. So, that "Bump" was to keep it from getting lost before someone could answer you.   ;)

Mackinaw

CharleyO, thanks for that bump.  craigb,searched for avast, alwil, and avg bits and pieces.  Did not find anything. 
Attempted the installation again and still end up in the Startup Repair mode.  There is a brief flash of BIOS (?) before going to error repair. 
Diagnosis Repair diagnosis and repair log includes:
System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0
Windows directory = C:\Windows
AutoChk Run = 0
Number of root cause = 1

Test Performed . . . then a lengthy set of tests all ending with the same result.
Result:  Completed successfully.  Error code = 0x0

Then Root cause found:  Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem and then the action of System Restore.

This is frustrating.  What am I missing?  Thanks.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Problematic little bugger isnt it, all i can think of is trying the action centre and run a check in trouble shooting/ run maintenance task's and check for performance issue's, if that cant find or solve anything then we might have to bump this along to one of the member's with more technical knowledge.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
bump

SafeSurf

What other security software do you have on your machine currently and in the past that have not been mentioned?  Did you reboot after doing the uninstalls?

After doing the System Restore (prior to the Avast installation), are you back to Vista or Win7 now?  Is your machine working correctly other than Avast at this point?  If it is and you have completely removed prior security software, I would suggest a clean install of Avast.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 10:56:09 AM by SafeSurf »

Mackinaw

Re: Windows 7 Starting in Repair Mode after attempt upgrade from Free 4.8 to AIS
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 02:46:32 AM »
SafeSurf, I did reboots after the uninstalls. 

I had Spywareblaster on there but removed it before attempting to intall AIS the next time/this time.  I did remove folders for any files related to Avast, AVG (empty), and Spywareblaster.  As for what was on the box with 4.8 prior to the attempts to intall AIS, Defender, MS FW, Spywareblaster, and Avast.  Malwarebytes came later.

The upgrade from Vista to 7 was earlier this year, so the restore point takes me to just prior to install of AIS.  I did the next install using the disc I had requested rather than what I downloaded.  Still no luck.  There is a brief boot (in blue) screen but I was unable to catch what is shows. 

As for performance, it appears to be working fine.  I have been avoiding it a bit because of this issue and not wanting to be connected to the internet.  Using a laptop in the interim  It is odd that after reboot, I get the Dell logo, then the Windows Starting screen, a brief and brilliant flash of the boot, then a second Windows Starting, then the Startup Repair.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Windows 7 Starting in Repair Mode after attempt upgrade from Free 4.8 to AIS
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 02:52:48 AM »
System restore messes avast installations all the time...
Use AVG Remover that can be downloaded here: http://www.avg.com/download-tools
Then I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

Mackinaw

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 02:05:52 PM »
Tech, et al,
I have run and ran again the AVG Remover and the log states nothing was found. 
Not possible to uninstall from Conrol Panel.  Did uninstall via Safe Mode using the utility.  Rebooted.
Installed the AIS (rather than the Free version or Pro, since this the issue/software that I want to install), added license.  Rebooted.
Went to Repair and then restore point. Still unable to catch what flashs on screen between Windows Starting screens.

Have started a ticket with support.  They had me run a HJT scan and provide the log.  Newbie, here, I know, but saw mention of Avast 4 in the log.  At any rate, there has not been a response to the log but they did instruct me to download the latest version/updated version released "yesterday"  I am not sure 1. If the new version is for Free or AIS or 2. If the later, how would I get a copy b/c I paided for the download and do not wish to do so again.

Thank you, all

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 02:41:17 PM »
Went to Repair and then restore point.
Restore point just messes the situation... as Windows does not make a full snapshot as Comodo Time Machine, for instance.
The uninstall tool could be run to remove version 5, then booting, removing version 4.8.
The best things in life are free.

Mackinaw

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 03:01:56 PM »
Tech, Good morning,

Thanks for the note. 

Restore point is not what I am selecting directly, meaning, when it fails to boot after the install, it comes back with two options:  Repair or Start Normal (with consequences  . . . . I assume not good ones).   Then it does the testing I have noted in another Post, then it goes to restore point.  I do not recall (could be wrong) getting an option to decline restore point.  I will walk through the steps again and let you know.

All the best,
Mackinaw