Author Topic: Windows 7 Starting in Repair Mode after attempt upgrade from Free 4.8 to AIS  (Read 15983 times)

Mackinaw

Re: Windows 7 Starting in Repair Mode after attempt upgrade from Free 4.8 to AIS
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 12:26:18 PM »
Still no luck.  There was nothing left of 4.8 to remove, removed 5 in safe mode, rebooted. Installed AIS, with license, rebooted and failed.  Rather than go to restore point following the repair attempt, allowed it to attempt to repair again.  Then it failed and gave me several options.  I selected Restore point and it gave me about a months's worth of restore points.  Went back to a point prior to AIS install issues.  4.8.1368 was available but was corrupted.  Reinstalled that via filehippo.  Lost the license I had but on a demo 60 days.  Is working but still getting the Windows 7 notice that I do not have AV. 
From here, did another run at AIS with newest version but get the same results.
So, the original issue of Windows not seeing AV is not related to this issue, correct?  Very frustrated.
Should I be uninstalling 4.8.1368 and / or disabling Defender or Firewall or ????

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Windows 7 Starting in Repair Mode after attempt upgrade from Free 4.8 to AIS
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 01:12:25 PM »
Mackinaw, you need to use avast uninstall tool to remove version 4, then boot, then run the tool again, remove version 5, then boot again, try to install the latest 5 version after that.
The best things in life are free.

Mackinaw

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 11:03:30 PM »
Tech,
I have uninstall tool but does it not require a folder/path to point to in order to uninstall 4 or 5??  When I noted that I did not have anything left of 4.8, I meant that there is not a file/folder to point toward.  So I ran it on AIS folder.  Are you saying I should have been able to run it without identifying a folder? 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 12:06:47 AM »
I have uninstall tool but does it not require a folder/path to point to in order to uninstall 4 or 5??
If you don't have any, create a new one, empty, and point the uninstaller to it.

Offline wonderwrench

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 05:55:51 AM »
You should be able to read the error message by disabling automatically restart in system properties advanced tab. Reproduce the error and snap a picture of it and post it. If you cant take a picture write down the basic error message and post that.
Main Box*i7 930*GB X58A-UD3R*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD 2TB Green*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*LG WH14NS40*Corsair AX750*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 8 Pro 64 bit*Avast 8 Free 8.0.1482*MBAM Pro*Firefox 19.0.1*NoScript

Mackinaw

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2010, 04:05:22 AM »
wonderwrench, thanks.  Do you mean under Startup and Recovery>System failure> deselect "automatically restart"?  How does that help with the brief screen flash I get just prior to going to system repair?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2010, 04:18:05 AM »
That could avoid automatic restart and you can see the error message.
Please, zip and upload the C:\Windows\Memory.dmp file to this anonymous ftp server: ftp://ftp.asw.cz/incoming

Mackinaw

Tech,
Reverted back to 4.8 - still unsuccessful with upgrade but am back at it.
Did take your advice re: Comodo Time Machine, so with this last fail, was able to go back to state prior to attempt.  Pretty slick.  I know if it is going to fail because I get the Dell logo and MS Starting Windows twice and select CTM to get my snapshots.  I do not see any memorydump file.

Tech support had recommended that I run HiJack This and Fix the following:
Run again HijackThis
- In the next window, clic on the bouton "Do a system scan only"
- then select the following lines by checking the relatives boxes to these lines. After that clic on the button "Fix checked":
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Launcher] C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\Components\scheduler\Launcher.exe

This did not work.  Before I go back to running the uninstal utility, would upgrading to the 5.0 Free be worth a try?  I am getting warning that 4.8 is about to expire.
Thank,
Mackinaw

Mackinaw

Okay, got a look at the blue screen by disabling autorestart.  Did not get an screen shot but this is what it says:

INVALID_KERNAL_HANDLE

Then the usual "if this is the first time . . ." and the rest. Then, STOP info that included 0x00000093, 0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFFF8A000001768, and then more zeros.

Bit more info this time.

Ideas?

Mackinaw

Mackinaw

Correction,

INVALID_KERNEL_HANDLE.

Tech support is recommending uninstall (with utility) and then reinstall with AIS.

Thoughts?

Mackinaw

SafeSurf

Uninstall Avast and do a CLEAN install:

1. Save a copy of newest version of Avast (5.0.677) for the version you need and save it to your HDD:
AIS –  http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for all products of Avast).  Save it to your desktop so you can find it easily.
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Avast through Add/Remove Programs if possible and reboot.
5. If Step 4 fails, boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.  Uninstall all products you have used for Avast on this machine at this time including AIS.
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and register your copy or add the license key for AIS.
9. Update the Avast definitions.