Author Topic: avast free 5.0.673 will not auto update  (Read 2356 times)

ron0903

avast free 5.0.673 will not auto update
« on: September 05, 2010, 08:23:47 PM »
I have deleted and reinstalled avast. When I go to maintenace and try to due an update it says it can not connect to the server. I saw under settings>udates>proxy settings that avast is set to use internet explorer settings. When I change it to direct connection it seems to work. What in internet explorer is stopping avast from getting updates automatically. Can someone help? I have IE8

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: avast free 5.0.673 will not auto update
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 08:26:40 AM »
I have deleted and reinstalled avast. When I go to maintenace and try to due an update it says it can not connect to the server. I saw under settings>udates>proxy settings that avast is set to use internet explorer settings. When I change it to direct connection it seems to work. What in internet explorer is stopping avast from getting updates automatically. Can someone help? I have IE8
Hi ron0903,you will need to provide some imformation about your system for anyone to help you,xp,vista,windows 7? firewall, are you using a router?. I dont think ie8 will stop avast as i have same browser and avast with standard setting's and all is fine.

CharleyO

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 08:45:52 AM »

Welcome to the forums, ron0903   :)

It appears that you are using a beta version when you should be using 5.0.0594 which is the latest stable version.

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 08:49:54 AM »
Hi ron0903, and welcome to the forum.  :)

1. What version and product of Avast are you using? 
-  v. 5.0.594 or something else?
-  Avast Free, Pro or AIS?

2. What is your firewall and did you check to see if it is blocking Avast?

3. Do you use a router and is that blocking Avast?

When I go to maintenace and try to due an update it says it can not connect to the server. I saw under settings>udates>proxy settings that avast is set to use internet explorer settings. When I change it to direct connection it seems to work.
How do you normally connect to the Internet?  Proxy or Broadband/Cable/DSL?

You can also try this:
Open Avast GUI > Click on Settings> Click on Updates >Scroll down and click on Proxy.
Ensure automatically detect settings or direct connection is selected (unless you use a proxy of course) > Click OK.  Now please try to update.

But this all depends on how you connect to the Internet, and if you found a setting that works for you, use it.  It has nothing to do with IE stopping Avast from updating.

Let us know how you do.  Thanks.