Author Topic: Avast Update Wrongly Identifies "mirc.exe" As Virus  (Read 5175 times)

Hose

Avast Update Wrongly Identifies "mirc.exe" As Virus
« on: August 03, 2004, 04:09:51 AM »
Avast had been working perfectly, but today's update wrongly identifies mIRC's "mirc.exe" as a virus.  I had to uninstall Avast to get mIRC back.  

Any suggestions?

TIA

Hose

dscans

Re:Avast Update Wrongly Identifies "mirc.exe" As Virus
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 04:45:44 AM »
same here....I've got mirc 5.5 and mirc 6.03 installed, but it only detected mirc 6.03's mirc.exe as a trojan.

Servetus

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 06:59:55 AM »
Same here. I had to reinstall Mirc. Suggestions? complain to Tech to fix it. In the meanwhile, when the warning comes up don't delete or move the file

sunnyyen

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 08:00:10 AM »
I got the same false alarm just now after the latest update. Avast warned that it found a trojan in an exe file that's been on my hard disk for more than a year.  

Now if Avast reports some file contains a "trojan" but doesn't give a specific virus name, I just ignore it.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 09:23:01 AM »
Mirc 6.16 is the latest. All earlier version had exploits. I've used them and Avast is NOT reporting a false positive about them nor is Avast stopping mirc from working. And if I may say so myself. I know this for sure. I am a official helper in #windows95 (voiced), #nohack (voiced) #Avast (op), #windows98 (voiced). In most of the channels already several years. Did you people bought mirc or are you using a crack. MIRC is a trial version and the trial periods of the versions you mention are over.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 09:24:06 AM by Artras »

dscans

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 10:53:26 AM »
Forgive me if I sound like a noob  ;D

But is Avast reporting that I've been infected by a trojan (which I doubt)....or is it reporting that the program is potentially exploitable?

I've scanned the system with spybot and adaware and it came up empty. FYI, for the occasional time I get on IRC, I use Mirc 5.5. I only the IRC client for chatting, not for DCC or file serving. I don't leave IRC running 24/7 either.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 11:47:24 AM »
Yeah, as you figured out, it's a false alarm. Sorry. :-\
See this thread published yesterday for some background info: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=6344

The false alarm(s) will be removed shortly.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 05:05:28 PM »
Strange, Avast pro 4.1 418 and vps 432-0 doesn't detect mirc (6.14) as a trojan. The previous vps also didn't detect it as infected. Is this only with old mirc versions?