Author Topic: Error Processing Avast4workstation  (Read 4550 times)

robby5

Error Processing Avast4workstation
« on: September 07, 2010, 07:48:11 AM »
I recently got infected with Trojans and other viruses (program called "Security Tool" was installed) on my windows vista OS which completely stopped me from using most programs and stopped me from trying to remove the viruses through Windows, so i burned Ubuntu 10.04 to a cd and am currently using that. I'm trying to rid Windows of these viruses by using avast to scan and remove them, but got an error message early into it.. I tried downloading the Avast! Linux Edition (DEB Package) and then used the Terminal to enter:
~$ cd Downloads
~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i avast*

and recieved the error message:

dpkg: error processing avast4workstation_1.3.0-2_i386.deb (--install): package architecture (i386) does not match system (amd64)

Also first time using Ubuntu so not extremely familiar with anything.
If anyone could help me with the entire process of identifying and removing the viruses off Windows with ubuntu and Avast! it would be much appreciated, thank you.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: Error Processing Avast4workstation
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 10:36:07 AM »
I recently got infected with Trojans and other viruses (program called "Security Tool" was installed) on my windows vista OS which completely stopped me from using most programs and stopped me from trying to remove the viruses through Windows, so i burned Ubuntu 10.04 to a cd and am currently using that. I'm trying to rid Windows of these viruses by using avast to scan and remove them, but got an error message early into it.. I tried downloading the Avast! Linux Edition (DEB Package) and then used the Terminal to enter:
~$ cd Downloads
~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i avast*

and recieved the error message:

dpkg: error processing avast4workstation_1.3.0-2_i386.deb (--install): package architecture (i386) does not match system (amd64)

Also first time using Ubuntu so not extremely familiar with anything.
If anyone could help me with the entire process of identifying and removing the viruses off Windows with ubuntu and Avast! it would be much appreciated, thank you.

Hallo,
all this architecture-flag is a bit misleading, the application IS marked i386 and in the fact CONTAINS 386 32bit code internally. Thus, the package is marked correctly, and what's wrong here is the installer which must be instructed to install it using --force-architecture.

more info here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=38405.0

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

robby5

Re: Error Processing Avast4workstation
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 10:00:51 PM »
Thank you, it worked.