Author Topic: Could Avast be blocking my connection  (Read 11747 times)

SafeSurf

Re: Could Avast be blocking my connection
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 11:05:19 PM »
If you did a Custom install for CCleaner instead of the normal install, then it prompts you (gives you boxes to check/uncheck) if you want things installed...like the Ask Toolbar, eBay Toolbar.  Those are the ones to watch out for.  You can always uninstall CCleaner and put the slim version in, but if you uninstall, I'd recommend doing it with Revo since it will remove ALL traces of these toolbars, which can be difficult to remove.  The normal way to remove CCleaner is Add/Remove Programs.  If you installed the normal way, you may see "Ask" in one or several of your browsers.

If you are comfortable with History_Killer_Pro and Registry_Mechanic, then leave it.  You probably don't need TFC at this time.  Just don't go over kill on too many security programs.

Regarding the Microsoft Net Framework, you have nothing to worry about.  Just let MS Update take care of things from that point of view.

It sounds like you have a problem with Acronis though.  When Dell did the factory Image Restore, did they do anything to Acronis?  You may want to give them a call to find out?  Have you used Acronis since doing the major repair on your machine and if so does it work properly?  If not, you may need to uninstall and reinstall.  Clean your machine up first, then do a System Restore before you uninstall so you have something to fall back on.

Any Acronis users have any feedback to offer on this (see OP's previous post for problem)?

Nikilet

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 01:08:31 AM »
I have been using Revo Uninstaller for quite awhile now. I wrote to the Acronis forum about this white box icon. I just received an answer not to worry about it. As long as I can tick it in Add-Remove and it provides the options to Uninstall/Repair it is ok and I don't have to uninstall it. I haven't used it yet because no sense in it until things get straight. After what happened I don't feel real secure in it but will probably give it another try.

Dell didn't do the factory image restore. There is an option for it witin my Advanced Boot options. I just clicked on it, ok'd it and it went forth. When you click yes it tells you that it's going to completely erase your drive before restoring. Pretty simple. All I had to do was put in the Drivers disk at one point. What was hard was reinstalling all my many programs, both paid and free, the service packs, IE8 and of course the tears over losing 4 years worth of pictures.

SafeSurf

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 06:41:42 AM »
Oooh...all those pictures must have hurt.  :'(  You've really been through a lot.  Sorry to hear about it.  Perhaps an external backup for your pictures might help for the future.  I know...we all learn from our mistakes.  :-[

Well, at least you got good news on Acronis.  You are progressing considering the mess you had with your machine...no offense intended.

So now you are still left with the PSI issue.  When I checked my OA settings, I found the PSI .exe and one driver under Programs and another driver under Autoruns (kind of strange to find a different driver under Autoruns, but PSI works fine for me), and everything is "Trusted."  I'd still recommend contacting them via the email link I sent you so that they will have the email when they open for work first thing this Monday.  You can also try their forum as well or do both.

Nikilet

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 07:51:11 PM »
Thank you so much. I don't know who you are, but you are a special person. I have had two people really pitch in and try to help me and stick with me all the way on this. You are one of them and the Lord is smiling on you for your kindness and your caring attitude. The other person is one from the psi forum. He is still working on things and I do not want to insult him by going over his head and directly to psi. He even gave me an email address on the forum so that if I felt it was needed we could write back and forth about the various problems in more detail, etc. The email address has psi in it so perhaps he is a part of the company or an employee or something. I have kept your link and if he strikes out I will use it.

At least Avast is running so smooth and trouble-free. I haven't installed the Online Armor yet as I don't want to add to the problems right now.

SafeSurf

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 01:05:59 AM »
Thank you so much for your compliment, Nikilet. <blushing> I, and others are here to help all users.  Some have a different "touch" than others.  Should you ever have problems, I'm always here.  I understand your cautiousness with reinstalling OA at this time.  Should you at a later date want to reinstall, I can always troubleshoot with you on that as well since I am familiar with both products.

You can leave this thread open until you resolve your issues with PSI and always come back and repost to it if you want.

Nikilet

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 05:06:43 AM »
I did go ahead and try that link you gave me for psi, but apparently that is only if you are a registered, paying customer. I am just using the free psi. It just kept telling me that User Namer/Password wrong.

SafeSurf

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 08:38:11 AM »
Then I suggest you go through the contact you made at PSI and work from there.  If you have any further difficulties, let me know and I'll see what I can dig up on my end.  ;)