Author Topic: Win32:Trojan-gen {Other} false positive explorer.exe  (Read 3876 times)

TMack

Win32:Trojan-gen {Other} false positive explorer.exe
« on: August 03, 2004, 05:02:32 PM »
As header - suddenly this morning Avast 4 started reporting that explorer.exe is infected with Win32:Trojan-gen {Other}  OS is  Windows 2000.  After HOURS of messing around I have determined conclusively that this is a false positive.  Housecall and Panda both report no problems.  I have run HijackThis, Spybot and Adaware6 and again nothing found.  The problem is complicated by the fact that the Avast initial memory scan reports that memory is infected - this means that when the Avast reisdent scanner is initialised during boot it halts windows.  If I disable it by temporarily renaming the Avast folder windows boots OK.  I have tried excluding explorer.exe but Avast still reports Win32:Trojan-gen {Other} in memory as soon as I start it up.  As explorer.exe is accessed during simple operations such as opening windows explorer this renders Avast absolutely useless.  Up to now I have been really impressed by Avast and I would like to keep uing it.  However, If I can't find a quick solution I will have to abandon it.  Does anyone have any suggestions????

Thanks
Tony

whocares

Re:Win32:Trojan-gen {Other} false positive explorer.exe
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 05:53:31 PM »
There should be an update available for this false positive, see here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=6366

;)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 05:57:00 PM »
TMack, before starting a new thread, please search first. Many "new" threads are about issues already covered in others.

TMack

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 08:07:02 PM »
The problem with only posting within the one other thread that referred to this problem (which, incidentally, offered no solution at the time I posted) is that it may not be read by people who actually have a solution.  The title of the other thread was "Avast update brings virus ?", which gave NO clue about the specific problem refrred to.  The title of my thread "Win32:Trojan-gen {Other} false positive explorer.exe" made it VERY clear what the issue was - and would be more likely to catch the attention of others who might have had this problem.

Anyway after only 6 hours of wasted time it is finally sorted with the latest update - issued AFTER my original post.

Tony