Author Topic: Resolved Updates in Avast! version 5.0.677 and VRDB  (Read 12585 times)

athome34GBK

Resolved Updates in Avast! version 5.0.677 and VRDB
« on: September 08, 2010, 10:40:12 AM »
I downloaded Avast! 5.0.677 very early Sept 7/10. I was using avast! 4.8 before. The download went well.
In the update section, under maintenance, it always reads.. " last update attempt ", with date and time.
No update information is given. Very early today an auto upate was announced as sucsessful. I have now manually updated the engine and virus definitions. It was needed as I was also asked to do a reboot.
No info was shown . I did this manually as the..attempt to update... was showing for about 30 minutes after log on and over 15 hrs had passed since the auto update.
All is set to update in auto, as shown in the Current status page. The proxy setting in updates was maked by avast! as....auto detect using internet explorer settings and I have kept it. I manually ticked..always connected to the internet in the update parameters setting.
  1}  Was this wrong?
  2}  Does the statement....last attempt to update.....mean that auto udates are not working?
  3}  Can the update logs be viewed to check their status as in ver. 4.8 ?
  4}  How does the VRDB work in ver. 5.0.677. ?
Please help as I am very concerned that I recieve auto current updates and have a current VRDB.
Below is a snap of my OS.      Thank you, athome34GBK
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 11:38:50 AM by athome34GBK »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Updates in Avast! version 5.0.677 and VRDB
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 11:13:12 AM »
1) No, all is good.
2) No, above that statement is the number of the current database release, in the format yymmdd- (and the number that day, followed by the release date. "last attempt to update" refers to the program checking for updates, whether one is available or not. (I have mine set to check every hour. It usually updates once or twice daily.)
3) Pass. Sorry, don't know for sure.
4) There is no VRDB. It was an outdated technology by the time Avast 4 was near the end of it's product cycle, (or even before then) and it has not been replaced.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

athome34GBK

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 12:40:58 PM »
 Hi,
Thanks for clearing my questions up so fast !!  Perhaps I will find out about the logs when I do a scan. it was a good way to view several items.
                                                  Great Product. athome34GBK

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 11:35:50 PM »
It is a great product, isn't it?

I think the logs might be in the program files folder, under C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\Setup\setup.log.
Look at the bottom of the log. It's a text file, mine is 495kB, and shows an update since startup.

swttxgrl

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 03:29:46 AM »
I updated to 5.0.677 yesterday.  Now today, I can no longer open any web page on Mozilla, nor IE 64 bit.  I went to my avast settings and "stopped" web scanning.  Now it works.  What did the update do that caused this problem?  I hate to go unprotected, but can't find a setting that allows me to open any web pages other than the disable.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 03:50:37 AM »
I updated to 5.0.677 yesterday.  Now today, I can no longer open any web page on Mozilla, nor IE 64 bit.  I went to my avast settings and "stopped" web scanning.  Now it works.  What did the update do that caused this problem?  I hate to go unprotected, but can't find a setting that allows me to open any web pages other than the disable.
Which is your firewall?
Did you use any other antivirus before avast?
The best things in life are free.

Hawks

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 04:38:17 AM »
I had the same prob. I have posted in another thread under the heading "Re update Sep 8 2010

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 06:07:21 AM »
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

babytyger8888

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 09:08:55 AM »
I have the same problem when I tried to access the internet. There are some websites that I can get to but most are not allowed. GoogleVoice, Title Company, and it seems there is no specific reason.  The only way I can access all of the websites is disable AVAST. 

My laptop have no problem. Avast is blocking my internet access so why people keep bringing up the issue of Firewall blocking Avast?  Avast can be updated....

Please help!!!!!!! If the problem is not solve then I guess I can only use its Sandbox for web browing.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 09:33:26 AM »
babytyger8888,
your issues are being dealt with in the other thread you posted to.

Please don't post the same problem in multiple threads, it will simply confuse the helpers and dilute the help available.

The help is suggesting that you remove any other AV, whether active or not, and if it has already been uninstalled, in many cases a removal tool should be run.

It also suggests to remove Avast completely using the uninstall utility, rebooting, and reinstalling from scratch.

You need to answer to that thread, advise the helpers there regarding the suggestions/questions posed, please.