Author Topic: Cannot process- Accessed position of memory non valid  (Read 2611 times)

justnet

Cannot process- Accessed position of memory non valid
« on: August 03, 2004, 12:01:21 PM »
If you are not already all to the sea  :)
 I would like the technical explanation.  
Through MSN messenger has arrived to me an infected zip file (virus W32.Hybris (Wrm)).The Avast has quickly individualized the virus but I was not able to cancel or put it in the Virus Chest. It gave me the error:  Cannot process "C/Documents/...... (Accessed position of memory non valid)
*log:While moving file to chest, error occurred: Accesso a posizione di memoria non valido *
To decontrol the situation I have had to give OK.  
Avast has told again me of presence of the virus and now has allowed me to cancel the file with Delete.  
Because the first time I could not undertake any action? Perhaps because the file was busy from another application?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 03:25:13 PM by justnet »

techie101

Re:Cannot process- Accessed position of memory non valid
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 05:12:12 AM »
justnet,

I am not exactly clear on what actions you took to remove the virus, but here is a basic explanation.

Avast will detect a virus in an email as an attachment or an .exe file
It will NOT remove it.  It alerts you to the presence of the virus.
Since the virus is self contained (in the zip file or exe file), Avast does not need to do anything and therefore the options will not be effective.  Had you opened the infected file, then Avast would allow the "options" to move, delete or repair.

The normal course of action is to manually delete the infected email.

;D

justnet

Re:Cannot process- Accessed position of memory non valid
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 10:12:36 AM »
Thanks for the answer, I thought all already gone to the beach ! ;D  
Perhaps my explanation was not clear.  
Infected file has not arrived to me through e-mail but through the file transfer with the MSN Messenger.  
1) After the first notice of presence of the virus the avast has opened the usual window with possible actions, but pressing on any key (Delete, Move/Rename,Repair....) error message appeared me:"Cannot process"C:/Documenti/File ricevuti/......2002.exe" file .  
2) For progress I have had to press the key OK.  
3) L'avast warn again me of presence of virus.
4) This time if I press the key "Delete" virus is eliminated.  
My question: because the first time the file was not accessible  (cannot process).
I hope that this time is clearer. :)
Thanks

« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 10:13:48 AM by justnet »