Author Topic: Firewall won't Engage  (Read 3431 times)

MacGyver86

Firewall won't Engage
« on: September 12, 2010, 02:06:44 AM »
Computer goes online via Verizon wireless setup.  Bought Avast Security because it's a non-profit organization needing antivirus.  After installing, the Verizon link says it's online, the firewall says it is not engaged, and you can click all you want on it but it won't engage.
You can't get online either.  Not until I uninstall the whole thing.  Then I can get online.
Is it the Verizon wireless connection for internet causing the problem or is it the install that's bad?  What is it?

Gargamel360

Re: Firewall won't Engage
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 03:14:17 AM »
What, you cant fix it with duct tape and bubblegum?  ;)

Jokes aside, what other security software installed on machine currently/recently removed?

MacGyver86

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 03:23:27 AM »
Had Norton 360 on it, but had been expired for quite a while.  Had McAfee on it at the same time...both were uninstalled before Avast was installed onto the PC.  Also removed Spyware Doctor as it didn't do it's job and stop the stuff.

Did reboot the computer before installation.

Also noted that since (obviously it's connected) it could not get online after installing the Avast, that it could not update itself either.

Note:  I know it needs replaced once this is working correctly..but the Avast Free install worked perfectly.  I just could not leave the place defenseless.  I paid for the Avast for Business license for the place so that they would be legal and all.  It's just not working right.
All the place really needs is Antivirus.  But it seems I couldn't find that as an option to just get that by itself.

Gargamel360

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 03:31:54 AM »
Sounds like a "leftover" problem.
Did you use removal tool for Norton and McAfee?

You could also re-install Avast! AIS minus the firewall component, just using windows firewall.  But potential leftover remnants of those other AV programs might bother you in the future anyway. Better to get Norton and McAfee removal tools and run them, if you did not already.  Find them both through here>>http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/

MacGyver86

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 03:34:27 AM »
I had used Windows Add/Remove Programs...

Gargamel360

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 03:42:50 AM »
And one would think that is enough, rightfully so. ;)  Unfortunately, it is often not the case, more with security programs than others.

MacGyver86

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 03:45:11 AM »
it DID say, at least once, that some files had been changed and wanted to know if I wanted to use them or put the Windows XP CD in to replace them.  I am guessing that since it's XP SP3, that that CD would do little good. Am wondering if I ought to also consider removing/installing SP3 as well?

I will look into those uninstallers that you'd mentioned too.

Gargamel360

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 03:56:18 AM »

Try the 2 removal tools first.  Let the forum know how it goes. :)