Author Topic: Can't select anything. Avast Free  (Read 5903 times)

Toboe

Can't select anything. Avast Free
« on: September 09, 2010, 04:53:11 PM »
Okay, so I've run a virus scan,and it's detected 49 infected files, and says to select the required action for each result and click apply. But I can't click apply, or select viruses for an action. What's wrong/am I doing wrong?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Can't select anything. Avast Free
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 05:10:25 PM »
Does the scanning finish?
The best things in life are free.

Toboe

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 05:35:20 PM »
I believe it does, yeah.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 05:45:28 PM »
Is "apply" button disabled?
Strange... it should be enabled after the scan is finished and you have already selected files/actions to be taken...
The best things in life are free.

Toboe

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 06:02:47 PM »
That's the thing, I can't select the files. I click on them, but nothing happens at all.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 06:11:29 PM »
Okay, so I've run a virus scan,and it's detected 49 infected files, and says to select the required action for each result and click apply. But I can't click apply, or select viruses for an action. What's wrong/am I doing wrong?

Are you sure these are infected 'files' as if there are no infected files or there is no appropriate action to be taken, then the Action button will be greyed out.

This normally happens if the items in the list are:
1. detections in memory blocks - which aren't files but virtual locations in memory.
2. files that can't be scanned - which is not an indication they are suspect or infected, just that they can't be scanned.

Can you give some examples of the file names, locations and malware names, e.g. (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ?

What was the scan that you ran, Quick, Full System or Custom scan ?
If a custom scan, what areas were selected and what sensitivity, settings, etc. did you set ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Toboe

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 06:39:37 PM »
Actually, they are all memory blocks it looks like. And, I can give a few names, but there's like 49 of them >< Most of them have [Trj] [Expl] and [Wrm] tags.

Here's a few

BV:FormatC-E [Trj]
Win32:Small-HZN [Trj]
HTML:IFrame-AZ [Trj]
Win32:Gremo
Win32:RPCexploit [Trj]
Win32:PcClient-OD [Trj]

--Edit--

Forgot these: Custom scan, Scans: All Hard Disks, System Drive, Memory, Auto-start programs and Rootkits (full scan). File Types: Scan all files. Sensitivity: Normal
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 06:57:25 PM by Toboe »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 07:25:31 PM »
The key to this is the process loading them into memory ?
That is likely to be another security application loading its unencrypted virus signatures into memory.

Since these are memory blocks, you are running a custom scan and have chosen to scan memory (as your Edit states). When you grab a tiger by the tail you expect to be bitten, by selecting a memory scan (and perhaps a few other scan options) you can be bitten by the results (well scared at the very least). This is one of the unexpected consequences of scanning memory.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Toboe

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 07:47:36 PM »
You mean msmpeng.exe? So, are these not really issues at all? If they are, how do I fix them?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 08:17:44 PM »
Yes, that is windows defender loading unencrypted virus signatures into memory.

So that is a consequence of having avast's on-demand scan check memory when it is specifically hunting for virus signatures, it isn't to know that the signature isn't a real virus signature.

Personally I have never been a fan of windows defender and this to me only supports my feeling of it.

Toboe

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 08:23:53 PM »
So, should I just not scan memory? Or should I ask my friend whose in tech school for something better, or if I should just get rid of it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 08:47:25 PM »
I don't think there is a huge benefit in scanning the memory or that would likely be a default action in the pre-defined Quick or Full System scans.

I can't tell you to get rid of a security application that has to be your choice. However, some find it uses a lot of system resources. Some have disabled the resident scanning function as avast does have anti-spyware built into the main program. That would mean just doing periodic on-demand scans with it.

As far as something better, MBAM free is a good anti-malware scanner, it isn't resident (unless you pay the one off fee for the resident option). Or SAS another good anti-spyware, the free is also on-demand only, but I bought the Pro (one off fee) version a couple of years ago before MBAM was as well known.

Toboe

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 08:56:36 PM »
Oh, so Avast! also works as a security program? That's good to know. And what do you mean uses a lot of resources? Sorry, I'm not all that great with computers(At least, not yet anyways.)

YoKenny

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 08:59:21 PM »
I don't have a problem with Windows Defender on Windows 7 but I do not run it on XP Pro.

MBAM Pro one time fee is well worth the licence.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 09:06:28 PM »
Oh, so Avast! also works as a security program? That's good to know. And what do you mean uses a lot of resources? Sorry, I'm not all that great with computers(At least, not yet anyways.)

Mainly CPU % and RAM, are what most associate with using system resources.