Author Topic: Avast consuming all RAM  (Read 3639 times)

Liquid

Avast consuming all RAM
« on: August 03, 2004, 03:56:58 PM »
Hi again! I´m writing to ask about something that´s been happening lately and is getting annoying. When i start avast to do a scan i´ve almost always set it to thourough scan and to scan within files. Well, nothing unusual about that but for about the last 1-2 weeks it´s acting weird, seems to scan slow and computer gets slow to, so i check and it seems it´s the ashSimpl.exe process that´s consuming pretty much all of my ram, and i have 640Mb in ram so you would think that´s enough  ;). It goes up and down randomly consuming from between 100Mb-450Mb of ram, slowing down my computer to a halt and once it rebooted because ALL of the 640Mb were used up.

Got any ideas why it has started doing this?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Avast consuming all RAM
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 03:58:51 PM »
Do you have any big archives (RAR, ZIP, ...) on your disk?

Liquid

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 04:00:55 PM »
Yes, come to think of it i have quite a few games that is downloaded in Rar and Zip formats. Do you think it´s them that´s causing it?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 04:08:16 PM »
When you check scanning inside of archives, avast! unpacks their content. If enough memory is available, it's unpacked to memory (otherwise, to the temp folder). So, I think it really can be the cause.

If you have these archives in one folder, I suggest to put this folder into the list of avast! exclusions (so that avast! won't scan them).

Liquid

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 04:14:34 PM »
Ok, that sounds logic, and yes, i do have them in the same folder so that seemed like a good suggestion,
(why didn´t I think of that), well i guess it´s just easier to ask someone who knows than to have to think yourself ;D

Once again, thanks for the help and quick reply here guys!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 05:19:19 PM »
If you buy the games on cd/dvd you won't have this problem  ;D