Author Topic: inaccessible settings- resolved  (Read 9239 times)

emel

inaccessible settings- resolved
« on: September 11, 2010, 11:35:26 AM »
INACCESSIBLE SETTINGS AND HELP MANUAL
I am blind and have 2 computers.
My laptop has a fully accessible avast5. (Installed in April). I can configure the settings to my liking.

Avast in my desktop is partially accessible. My screen reader cannot read the settings and help files. The settings page also looks different from the accessible version.
[Installed in July]. I cannot configure the program.
(the  inaccessible settings page which has main screen blacked out automatically; the accessible version does not have blacked out main screen.)

Recently I received an upgrade to Avast 5.0.677 for both machines. The problem in my desktop remains.

In early August I asked a sighted person to uninstall Avast in my desktop in safe mode using the Avast uninstaller and reinstall a version downloaded from CNET but the problem persist in the desktop. So how can I get a fully accessible version of Avast like in my laptop?
Thanks, blind user
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 05:57:16 AM by emel »

SafeSurf

Re: inaccessible settings - Visually Impaired Person
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 07:15:03 AM »
Hello emel and welcome to the forum.  :)

1. Can you clarify for me what product of Avast you are using -- Free or Pro or AIS?

2. Is your laptop and desktop the same OS (operating system)?  Can you please tell me what they are?  If I understand correctly, everything works fine in your laptop, but it is your desktop that has the problem...correct?  Your screen reader works fine with everything else on your desktop except Avast on your desktop?

3. I am slightly confused as to what you are looking for here:  Are you looking to download version 5.0.677 again or something else?  Yes, there was a recent upgrade, but you can also change your settings to NOT automatically get the upgrade and just be notified of the upgrade and you can do it when you are ready just by clicking a button.  To do this, open the Avast GUI > click on Settings > Updates > under Programs click on "Ask when an Update is available" (middle button).  When a Program update is available, your program version on the Summary/Main GUI page will turn from green to red and there will be an "Update" button to the right of the version number -- just click this "Update" button and the version will automatically update for you when you are ready.

4. Some people are finding the colors and font/print of the GUI difficult and too light who are not having visual impairments.  Suggestions have been made to the Avast developers for improvements for future versions; this is to be determined.

If I misunderstood you in anyway, please clarify.  Thank you.  

How can I help you further?

Offline yonatan

• Avast team
Re: inaccessible settings
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 09:22:17 AM »
Hello,

Which screen reader are you using?
Could you send me a screenshot of the 'blacked out main screen '?
You may do a screenshot by pressing ALT +  Print Screen.

please try the folowing:
1. reboot your system
2. run your screen reader
3. only after the screen reader is running, open avast window.

thanks for your patience
Yonatan Omer

emel

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 09:54:11 AM »
i use JAWS10 and NVDA , XP pro in both computers. security software in both computers the same but in desktop i have an additional software called 'disk disinfector ' that prevents auto startup by pendrives.  current avast 5.0.677 in both computers.
the problem is my screenreader cannot read  help center,  and settings after  i clicked on the buttons and taken to the page.
 in my laptop, i can access for configuration such as 'basic settings, updates, virus chest, virus alerts, exclusions, , set pass word  etc but in desktop i cannot set my preferences as my screen reader cannot read anything.

i have made a printscreen but do not know how to upload. can you please give instruction?

thanks, emel

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 10:05:43 AM »
Which screen reader are you using?
How do you normally do a screen shot?  Do it the way you are more comfortable.  You can also:

1. Click on the window that you want the snapshot
2. Hold down the Windows key and press R
3. Enter MS Paint and click OK
4. Click in the work area and press <Ctrl> V to paste the screen print
5. File > Save As
6. Give it a name that means something and change to type to jpg and click save

Then when you go to post, click on "Additional Options" > "Attach" > Browse to where the folder with the jpg is saved > Post.

There should be no conflict with your Flash Disinfector causing this problem.

The Avast Team will analyze this and get back to you after you post the screen shot and let them know the name of your screen reader.  Thank you.

emel

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 10:43:29 AM »
i use jaws10

Offline yonatan

• Avast team
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 11:18:05 PM »
hi,

the window in the screenshot is protected by Avast self defence module.
it means that no program can access it, including screen readers.
being accessible will expose it to potential malware attacks.
please ask a sighted person to turn off Avast self defence( see settinst - trouble shooting -"enable avast! self defence module").
or did you find other parts of avast which are not accessible?

thanks for your efforts
Yonatan

Offline yonatan

• Avast team
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 11:30:15 PM »
you have password protection in your avast settings.
i suspect that you have accidently entered an empty password.
as the 'black screan' appears, try to press Enter.

is it working now?
if so, go to settings -  password and unchek the 'protect avast with password' checkbox.

please let me know if it worked
yonatan
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 11:40:32 PM by yonatan »

emel

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 06:35:45 AM »
1-
I pressed enter when black screen appear but got message:
‘wrong password

2-
Restarted computer. Tried typing my computer password when black screen appeared
‘wrong password ‘ again.

What to do next?
thanks, emel

Offline yonatan

• Avast team
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 01:04:18 PM »
did you have access to avast settings in this computer before?
when did this password window started to appear?
it seems that you or someone else have entered a password in avast settings.
i recommend you to reinstall avast - it will reset the settings and remove the password protection.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 01:14:03 PM by yonatan »

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 12:32:57 AM »
emel,

Let me know if you need assistance with uninstalling and doing a clean install of Avast.  Thank you.

emel

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 12:55:58 AM »
i had asked a sighted person to use avast uninstaller to uninstall in safe mode in august. this is the reinstalled
 version but password remained.
perhaps there is something that is done wrongly? i asked my nephew who is just a primary school kid to help me. will revo uninstaller clean up all crumbs better?
anyway, all sighted help are on vacation till next week.

SafeSurf

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 12:57:16 AM »
Do not use Revo.  You need to use the Avast Uninstaller Tool in Safe Mode like you did before.

SafeSurf

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 12:58:26 AM »
What product do you use of Avast?  Free, Pro, or AIS?

SafeSurf

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 01:13:36 AM »
Depending on what product of Avast you have, install the product you need (Free, Pro, or AIS).

Here are step-by-step instructions you can print and give to a sighted person to have them uninstall Avast and do a clean install for you:

1. Save a copy of newest version of Avast (5.0.677) for the version you need and save it to your HDD:
Freehttp://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download#tab4
Pro http://www.avast.com/pro-antivirus#tab4
AIShttp://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.0 and 5.0).  If you had 4.0 on this machine in the past, uninstall BOTH 4.0 and 5.0 at this time.
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time; turn off your connection from the Internet.
4. Uninstall Avast through "Add/Remove Programs" through Control Panel if possible. 
5. Boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.
6. Reboot twice.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and update Avast definitions.
9. Register your copy or add the license key for Free, Pro, or AIS.
      Free – http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php

Let me know if I can assist you or the sighted person assisting you more with this.  Thank you.