Author Topic: Avast 5.0 freezes on boot-time scan  (Read 16427 times)

dlaraH

Re: Avast 5.0 freezes on boot-time scan
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 05:03:34 PM »
ASC is installed, but will not be started automatically, ie. it will be started manually from Desktop Shortcut only !
(Running processes are neither linked in any manner with ASC !)
Therefore I think, that ASC in my case may not have such disturbing influence as you describe or ?
The only running "Safety Process" beside AVAST 5.0 is IObit Security 360 v1.50 !
- are you still recommeding to uninstall ASC and proceed as described ?

(I may be a bit lazy, Sorry !)
- I may have a better idea, I could block IObit Security booting with ASC (without Uninstall) ! What do you think ?

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 05:15:56 PM by dlaraH »

YoKenny

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 10:10:15 PM »
Get rid of IObit Security 360 v1.50

You are running a very old operating system in Windows 5.0.2195 Service Pack 4

Believe what SafeSurf says.

SafeSurf

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 06:51:21 AM »
Since you are running an old OS, I recommend uninstalling (not disabling as the drivers and registries of these programs still are on your machine if you just disable) both IObit Security and ASC.  You do not need them with your other software and I think these outdated software may be causing your conflict problems.

Uninstall each program one at a time, then reboot the machine twice.

After the final uninstall and rebooting, then use CCleaner and defrag your machine.  Reboot again.

Next, uninstall and do a clean install of Avast and see if this fixes your problem.  Thank you.

dlaraH

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2010, 02:21:01 PM »
Someone may consider ASC and IObit Security 360 v1.50 as "outdated" sw´s - I don´t !
- I have used them succesfully already years in different machines/OS´s in XP, VISTA and WINDOWS 7 and I consider them useful and safe
- therefore I prefer to stay in my present sw-configuration and may study to try "Boot-Time-Scan" of some other verdor´s instead

Thank you for your comments and proposals !

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2010, 02:45:29 PM »
Someone may consider ASC and IObit Security 360 v1.50 as "outdated" sw´s - I don´t !
They're not outdated.
They come from a THIEVE company!  >:(
Do you trust in a thieve to secure your computer?
The best things in life are free.

YoKenny

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2010, 08:30:44 PM »
They're not outdated.
They come from a THIEVE company!  >:(
Do you trust in a thieve to secure your computer?
IOBit Theft Conclusion
Some weeks ago we presented evidence demonstrating that the Chinese company IObit had stolen Malwarebytes' database and incorporated it into their software. In the days that followed we saw a complete denial of wrongdoing by IObit. They ascribed the matches between their database and our own to anonymous sample submissions, a dubious claim which we debunked.
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=33217

dlaraH

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2010, 04:09:23 PM »
You might be a bit right with your surprisingly negative statements concerning ASC and IObit Security 360 v1.50 as !

After last update of ASC yesterday my both browsers Internet Explorer and Firefox stalled with rotating logo !
- Hijackthis reported about Unknown File in WINSOCK related to ASC
- I did not try to manipulate WINSOCK, but uninstalled ASC instead

Thereafter everething worked normally again !

Summa Summarum:
- it´s obvious, that last update of ASC is NOT w2k-compatible !
(possible risky with other OS´s as well !?)

Therefore it´s better to start/continue to denigrate ASC !

SafeSurf

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 12:48:09 AM »
I'm glad things are working fine for you now.  :D  Often ASC will leave some remnants behind, so you may want to run CCleaner to get rid of them, then defrag your system to speed things up, then reboot.  See how your machine runs over the next few days and if all goes well report back...with continued good news (I hope).  ;)

dlaraH

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2010, 05:27:37 PM »
W2k is still going strong ...

- I may slowly possible start thinking to try AVAST Boot-Time-Scan again !?

I have still IObit Security 360 v1.50 running - keeps informing new sw´s pendings -
ASC is and stays removed - Hijackthis found actually five "Unknown Files" related ASC

I use regularly YL Software´s WinUtilities 9.86 for "housekeeping"
- any experiences/comments ?

SafeSurf

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 08:54:46 AM »
ASC is and stays removed - Hijackthis found actually five "Unknown Files" related ASC

Often ASC will leave some remnants behind, so you may want to run CCleaner to get rid of them, then defrag your system to speed things up, then reboot.
Did you run CCleaner and the registry cleaner after uninstalling ACS?  You can safely remove these files.  You may also want to go into Safe Mode > Search > All Files and Folders > More Advanced Options (everything checked off except Case Sensitive) > Type in ASC in the top box > Search.  Repeat the steps but type in Advanced System Optimizer instead and see if anything comes up.  Anything that comes up on the right side of the window, you can delete -> Put in the recycle bin, the delete with CCleaner while in Safe Mode.  If in doubt of a file, right-click it > Properties to see if it belongs to ACS.  Restart your machine and you are done.

I use regularly YL Software´s WinUtilities 9.86 for "housekeeping"
I would stick with CCleaner and defragging.  See if free Puran defrag will allow you to download on to your system: http://www.puransoftware.com/Puran-Defrag.html.  It does a regular defrag plus a boot-time defrag and it light on your system.  That is all you need for "housekeeping."

Yes, I would try the Avast boot-scan again after your definitions are updated.  Let us know if you have any problems.  Thanks.  :)

dlaraH

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2010, 09:54:52 AM »
IObit Security 360 v1.50 is now also removed and everything works even better!

I have noticed a phenomen of "leaking handles" long time ago - possibly since IObit installation. Leakingspeed on idle was abt. 10.000 handles/h.
Taskmanager located the leakage now into IObit Security 360 v1.50.
As result memory use dropped 25% and nbr. of handles 10% without any leakage !
IObit Security 360 v1.50 was used for "Patrolling" of possible changes in critical areas due certain sw-trials.
Earlier I used Winpatrol succesfully for that.

I´ll follow the situation for a while now and proceed as proposed.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2010, 12:02:48 PM »
IObit Security 360 v1.50 was used for "Patrolling" of possible changes in critical areas due certain sw-trials.
Earlier I used Winpatrol succesfully for that.
I will never trust IObit again after they steal MBAM property. They're thieves.
Winpatrol is very good, stable and does the job.
The best things in life are free.