Author Topic: Avast Free Bluescreens on Windows 7  (Read 1907 times)

jbhelfrich

Avast Free Bluescreens on Windows 7
« on: November 14, 2010, 03:03:06 AM »
I'm running Avast Free 5.0.677.  I have had, today, two blusecreen crashes (one 7f, one 24) that report AvastSvc.exe as the process name.

Unfortunately, figuring that out is the limit of my debugging skills in Windows.

I had one other bluescreen a few days ago, that was hardware related, and appears to be my processor cache.  But I was also in the midst of updating a lot of drivers when that happened, so I'm not sure if it's relevant.

Is there someone able to look at the dmp files who might be able to tell me what's going on?  I tried to attach them to this post but they're too large.

Thank you!

Joe

sw

Re: Avast Free Bluescreens on Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 04:00:03 AM »
Are you running any other security products alongside avast?
Is it possible that avastsvc.exe was experiencing a memory leak.
You can try compressing the dump file and uploading it. I don't know how to interpret dump files either. ;D Sorry.

SafeSurf

Re: Avast Free Bluescreens on Windows 7
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 09:50:09 AM »
1. Did the blusecreen crashes begin after you started updating your drivers?  What drivers were they? 

2. Are you getting any error messages?

3. What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including antivirus (AV), firewall (FW), and other security programs? 
- If they were in the past, how did you remove them (the vendor's uninstaller's tool or another way)?

Dump files are not sent to the forum; they go directly to Avast.

- Here is additional information on how to invoke a memory dump file:  http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71.
- Please, zip and upload the C:\Windows\Memory.dmp file to this anonymous ftp server and name it uniquely: ftp.avast.com/incoming.  Avast will analyze it and report back to you in this thread or by email.  Thank you.