Author Topic: avast! Internet Security severely affects Filezilla Server transfer speeds  (Read 3637 times)

Skello

Hello,

A few weeks ago I did a fresh clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate on my laptop. I use portable versions of most of my applications and I keep them synced between places with Dropbox. Therefore I only keep very few installed, like my tv tuner app or Filezilla Server for in-LAN file transfers.

I don't transfer files too often, but a few days ago when attempting to copy some on my other laptop I noticed that I get speeds of 20 KB/s, instead of the normal 5-6 MB/s. I was in a rush and fortunately I only needed a few .docs so I didn't bother with it. Today however I wanted to transfer a large video file on my desktop and again, same low speeds.

I set out to investigate and since I don't do many changes to my setup it didn't took me long to eliminate all possibilities except avast! Internet Security, which I installed two weeks ago. First I thought it might be the firewall component so I disabled it. This had no effect.

Then I decided to uninstall avast! completely and see if that changes anything. Apparently it did and without it my Filezilla Server is operating within normal parameters, speed-wise.

Now, the interesting part is that I clearly remember using Filezilla Server and avast! Free Antivirus before with no problems. This leads me to believe that it's something in Internet Security that's messing with the FTP traffic. I'm going to install avast! Free Antivirus before putting back avast! Internet Security and see how that works out.

If anyone has any ideas of special settings I should try in Internet Security to alleviate this, please share.

Also if you have the possibility, please try to replicate this weird behavior.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:21:37 PM by Skello »

Skello

Re: avast! Internet Security severely affects Filezilla Server transfer speeds
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 08:52:16 AM »
Seriously? No one bothered checking this in 20 days?

C'mon it should only take a couple of mins to set FileZilla Server up and test it.

Thanks.

CharleyO

Re: avast! Internet Security severely affects Filezilla Server transfer speeds
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 01:44:53 PM »

Welcome to the forums, Skello   :)

Most probably, your first post fell sown the list quickly before someone got a chance to answer it.

For me, it is now early in the morning, I have been up all night, and I am very sleepy.

Hopefully, someone can give you an answer soon.