Author Topic: [Resolved] What is the lowest update interval in avast 5 pro?  (Read 2827 times)

Offline Julian59

[Resolved] What is the lowest update interval in avast 5 pro?
« on: September 13, 2010, 01:01:41 PM »
what is the lowest update interval in avast 5 pro? 30 minutes does not work, it is actually updated in 40 minutes
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 10:32:35 PM by Julian59 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: What is the lowest update interval in avast 5 pro? 30 minutes does not work
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 01:19:37 PM »
avast checks if there is an available connection each 40 seconds.
If there isn't, wait more 40 seconds to check. Checking does not take more than one second and, of course, does not use the Internet band.
If there is a connection, check for an update. If there is not any new file to download, wait 4 hours to start checking again. If there is an available update, start it and install it. Again, wait 4 hours to check the next time.
Some of this settings could be configurated different, I posted the default values of the avast4.ini file. The updates are incremental.

ashServ.exe sends ping packets to find out if the Internet connection is alive. You can turn this off by checking the "My computer is permanently connected to the Internet" box in the avast Program Settings > Update (Connections) page.

The program updates are released but to avoid excessive load on the servers the auto update check happens randomically every 12 hours and it's not checking every time you connect to the Internet as with the virus definitions checks. The cycle is controlled by the servers and can be changed at any time. So no later than 12 hours after the update is released, everyone should get at least one popup. The order is machine-fixed (not random-generated for each update).

Avast Free AV checks for updates every 4 hours. Avast Pro AV and IS check every 1 hour. The program already knows that the update is there, but it won't tell you until it's your turn. You have to allow the update, i.e., it's not a forced and automatic update.

The minimum intervals currently are like this:
Free AV: 120 minutes ( = 2 hours)
Pro AV, IS: 15 minutes
The best things in life are free.

Offline Julian59

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 01:38:04 PM »
Many thanks! To me all is clear. All the best! And best regards!

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: What is the lowest update interval in avast 5 pro?
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 08:43:47 AM »
Welcome to the forum Julian59.  :)

If you feel that your issue is now resolved/fixed, please go back to the first open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed. 

Feel free to come back any time you need help, to learn something new, or just to ask questions.  We are here 24/7 for your convenience.  Thank you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 02:21:07 PM »
Many thanks! To me all is clear. All the best! And best regards!
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help or just to change experiences 8)
The best things in life are free.