Author Topic: Compare three antivirus  (Read 7361 times)

KITJAI

Compare three antivirus
« on: September 14, 2010, 06:44:57 PM »
compare avg, avast and avira , which is the best antivirus? Can you explain all functions between them? ;D

Thank you for your reply.

Gargamel360

Re: Compare three antivirus
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 07:14:24 PM »
no

marc-d-l

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 07:47:47 PM »
Depends on what you prefer.I used all 3 at sometime or another and prefer Avast.Better updates for one.But the main reason,I can depend on it.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 08:13:15 PM »
You could go to each programs Webpage and document the specifioc functions and tasks each software program states it will do.....and then compare.
You could also download, try and uninstall cleanly each program seperately, make notes.....and then compare. 8)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 08:23:26 PM »
compare avg, avast and avira , which is the best antivirus? Can you explain all functions between them? ;D

Thank you for your reply.
I can tell you that no one will recommend avg as it is resource hogging and limited in it's detection rates, avira is good but has alot of false positives and not the best help forum. Where all these av's fail is where avast has it's strength's.

Dch48

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 09:15:36 PM »
I can tell you that no one will recommend avg as it is resource hogging and limited in it's detection rates, avira is good but has alot of false positives and not the best help forum. Where all these av's fail is where avast has it's strength's.
I agree with the above but you can go to the AV comparative sites and see for yourself instead of asking where you're sure to get somewhat biased answers :-). I would rate them this way:

1. Avast!
2. Avira because of frequent update problems and false positives
3. AVG which used to be the best but has declined a lot in recent years.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 09:22:41 PM »
Although I had used all three and, some months ago, Avira, I won't have time to a fair comparison.
I'll prepare, if I had time, an AIS and CIS (Comodo) comparison.

Shortly:
1. Avira has a lot of popups (really annoying), reduced protection in the free version (compared with Pro), no Web Guard (shield) in the free version, updates erratic. Good detection rates and heuristic.
2. AVG (can't speak about the last versions, but the detection rate is not that high).
3. avast... well... almost perfect and always improving :)
The best things in life are free.

rambo1940

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 09:51:19 PM »
It would be interesting to ask the same question on the other forums and see what answers you.
The answer to your question is which ever virus program does not cause problems to the smooth running of your computer.
I have tried all three and Avast is the only one which does not cause any type of problem
So i am staying with it.
Please try all three(one at a time) and see how you get on.
Regards

Joe S

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 10:55:18 PM »
I belong to Windows 7 Forums and many people send crash dumps for analysis. It's quite noticeable that AVG is frequently mentioned as something to uninstall.
Joe   

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 11:58:27 PM »
Happy Avast user, personally I have no reason to change.

Have used the others in the past, long time ago. Avast has always worked the best overall, in terms of resource use, updating, and protection. If I couldn't use Avast, I'd probably try MSE or use Avira.

As the others have said, you could try each one, and see which works best on your system. Whenever removing one to try another, it's a good idea to run a removal tool. You can find tools for most programs here.

You should modify your profile to hide your email address, this might help reduce spam.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 12:08:21 AM »
I left AVG over six and a half years ago for avast and I haven't looked since. I haven't looked as avira as I have had no cause to.

avast has been working great for me, good protection, very flexible/configurable, light on resources, covers all of my needs, so for me it is the best.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 02:33:24 AM »
I hope you are not all having your 'legs pulled"

American expression ;)
printed on 100% recycled bytes

KITJAI

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 05:44:53 AM »
thanks for a reply. Besides that, does avast home edition 5.0 detect any tracking cookies?

Gargamel360

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 05:49:16 AM »
Nope, try the Cookie Monster for that,
it will gobble them all up ;) >>>>>http://www.superantispyware.com/

JerryM

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 06:17:53 AM »
I have not used AVG due to the lower detection rates. I have recently used both Avast Pro, and Avira Premium IS.

Avira seems to consistently demonstrate slightly higher detection rates than Avast. However, on one of my machines, W7 64 bit, complete scans have taken close to 6 hours, or would have except I terminated them at about 3 hours and 60% complete. Other than that Avira runs well on my computers. I went to another AV as a result.

Avast also runs well, and scan times have been about an hour for a complete scan. Avast has always been my fall back AV.

In the free versions it seems that updates are sometimes a problem for Avira, but not Avast.

Both AVs provide excellent security with the edge going to Avira. I have not had FP with either Avira or Avast.

The only way to make the best choice is to try both, ans see which runs better on your computers
My personal opinion is that any AV is well complimented with Malwarebytes, and I run it real time with the Av I use.
Regards,
Jerry