Author Topic: Startup Problems after Upgrade to 5?  (Read 10282 times)

Fluidwill

Startup Problems after Upgrade to 5?
« on: September 14, 2010, 03:51:13 PM »
Followed on screen pop-up prompt to upgrade this morning and since then computer hangs at start-up. Gets to showing wallpaper and about half desktop icons but the task bar and everything else thats usually at the bottom stays blued out.
Used the removal tool succesfully and did a clean install.
I use Zone Alarm Firewall but switching that off made no differnce.
What next?
Windows XP Media Centre Service pack 3, what else do you need to know?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Startup Problems after Upgrade to 5?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 03:57:25 PM »
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

Fluidwill

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 04:10:08 PM »
Did that, no change

Fluidwill

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 04:11:07 PM »
N.B.

Have to go to safe mode to do anything when have avast installed.

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 04:25:51 AM »
What previous security software did you have on this machine in the past (including antivirus, firewall, other security programs)?

How did you uninstall the previous security software (vendor's unintaller tools or another way)?

What version of Avast did you have prior to upgrading and what version are you using now (5.0.677)?

What product of Avast do you have now?  Free, Pro, AIS?

Did you try uninstalling the previous version of Avast you had plus the current version you have in Safe Mode using the Avast Uninstall Utility Tool?

kaufam7

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 04:34:20 AM »
Hi, I had the same problem when I upgraded to version 5.0.667. It didn't matter whether it was a clean install or not. DELL customer support told me I needed more memory. I only had 1GB on my laptop. My desktop has 2GB and the latest version of Avast gives me no problems. So I have to think that DELL is probably right. Apparently the newer version is more memory hungry. I ordered another 1GB for my laptop, but it won't come for about a week. If I can remember, I will try to reply back at that time and let you know if that solved the problem.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 05:00:09 AM »
Wrong, the new avast5 is actually lighter on memory to the same 4.8 version. Depending on your OS 1GB should be fine, especially if you had no problems with 4.8 with the same software running, it should at least be the same but probably slightly.

So I think someone at Dell is reading from a crib sheet or trying to sell you a bill of goods or rather more RAM.

Are the two systems running the same OS ?
Are they basically running the same software ?
Or more importantly what are the differences in the systems (what does one have that the other hasn't of vice versa) ?

There are people running avast5 on XP with less than 1GB of RAM without issue.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Fluidwill

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 10:32:18 AM »
What previous security software did you have on this machine in the past (including antivirus, firewall, other security programs)?
Just Avast previous versions for approx 2 yrs
Zone Alarm Firewall (works with avast no probs on my laptop)

How did you uninstall the previous security software (vendor's unintaller tools or another way)?
with avast uninstaller

What version of Avast did you have prior to upgrading and what version are you using now (5.0.677)?
not sure now but it had the "old style" graphics not the new orange splash.

What product of Avast do you have now?  Free, Pro, AIS? Free

Did you try uninstalling the previous version of Avast you had plus the current version you have in Safe Mode using the Avast Uninstall Utility Tool?
Yes 3 times, all goes fine installs no bother, uninstaller no prob, PC will work fine with new Avast installed (which updates no problem too) then hangs on restart.

AdB

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 12:38:17 PM »
Followed on screen pop-up prompt to upgrade this morning and since then computer hangs at start-up. Gets to showing wallpaper and about half desktop icons but the task bar and everything else thats usually at the bottom stays blued out.
Same here... I upgraded from Avast 4.8 Pro to Avast 5 Pro. First I uninstalled the old version, then did a clean install of Avast 5 Pro. Everything seemed to go smooth, but just until next reboot. Windows started, played its startup jingle, then I waited over half an hour, but the desktop did not appear. I switched off the PC and tried again, with the same result. Then I started Windows in Safe Mode, uninstalled Avast 5 Pro, and now there were no more problems. Windows started normally. Reinstalled again Avast 5 Pro, and again Windows locked up in the startup phase, no desktop to be seen.

Now I am running with the 15 days remaining of my previous Avast 4.8 Pro license....
Question : suppose there isn't an immediate solution to this problem, can I ask that the new Avast 5 pro license be converted to an Avast 4.8 Pro license ?  Avast 4.8 Pro ran perfectly, no problems whatsoever... this new version 5 seems to be a bit faulty....  

Thanks

Alberto
P.S. Opsys is Windows XP Pro SP3, 4 GB of RAM, with all the latest fixes applied
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 12:46:21 PM by AdB »

SafeSurf

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 09:57:29 AM »
Hi AdB,

What previous security software did you have on this machine in the past (including firewall and other security programs)?

Can you please check your computer for malware with Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (MBAM).
·    Download free http://www.malwarebytes.org/ for an on-demand scanner.
·    Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
·    After install, click update so you have latest database before scanning.
·    Under Settings:
o    General: Automatically Save File After Scan Completes is checked off
o    Scanner SettingsCheck all boxes
o    Updater: Download and install update if available is checked off
·    Once the program has loaded, select "Perform FULL Scan", then click Scan.
·    The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
·    When the disinfection scan is complete, a log will appear in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note).
·    Click the “remove selected” button to quarantine anything found.  You will find the infection details under the Quarantine tab.
·    The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
·    Copy & Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Please let me know if you have any questions.  Thank you.  :)

AdB

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 10:58:13 PM »
What previous security software did you have on this machine in the past (including firewall and other security programs)?

I was using Avast 4.8 Pro (paid for) as anti virus program, and ZoneAlarm as firewall (its anti virus function is disabled). After receiving from Avast the notice that my subscription was about to expire, with the offer of the new Avast 5 Pro, I accepted it, download the new version (which was 5.0.0594), uninstalled Avast 4.8 Pro using Revo Uninstaller Pro, then installed Avast 5 Pro, immediately updated it online to 5.0.0677. Everything seemed to work ok, until I rebooted, which failed as describes previously.

Can you please check your computer for malware with Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (MBAM).
·    Download free http://www.malwarebytes.org/ for an on-demand scanner.
·    Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
·    After install, click update so you have latest database before scanning.
·    Under Settings:
o    General: Automatically Save File After Scan Completes is checked off
o    Scanner Settings:  Check all boxes
o    Updater: Download and install update if available is checked off
·    Once the program has loaded, select "Perform FULL Scan", then click Scan.
·    The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
·    When the disinfection scan is complete, a log will appear in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note).
·    Click the “remove selected” button to quarantine anything found.  You will find the infection details under the Quarantine tab.
·    The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
·    Copy & Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Please let me know if you have any questions.  Thank you.  :)

Ok, I did it. Probably I did not check something, as the Log file was not listed in the Logs tab after the end of the scan. Anyway I clicked on the Quarantine tab, and captured a screen shot to show you. If this works, I will insert it here below. In any case you can see it at this URL
http://www.sdradio.eu/images/mal1.gif

I have temporarily re-enabled the anti virus function of ZoneAlarm, but I would rather prefer to use Avast for this function.

Thanks for any help.

Alberto

Gargamel360

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 11:49:30 PM »
Wow, what a filthy Mbam log.

First, never keep 2 resident AV's on you system, turning it off it is not enough.  It makes you not more safe, but less, and can cause system problems as well.  I have never used ZA, so I don't know if you can remove only the AV component, or if you would need to totally re-install ZA, leaving the AV out of a custom install.

Second, whatever Revo's dogma of being the master of all uninstallers, it is not meant for AV applications.  For AV's, always try to remove naturally through Windows first, then use company made removal tool.
(if normal uninstall fails or you have problems on next install).

Those two things above I would normally point to as the source of your system troubles, but what Mbam removed might have had something to do with it as well.

SafeSurf

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 12:25:12 AM »
@ AdB,

1.  I'm glad you ran the MBAM scan and items were quarentined.  Do not delete these items. 

2. As was pointed out, you cannot have two resident AV's as it will cause problems and conflicts.  See here:

Clash Of The Antivirus Apps:
http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/2003/s1407/38s07/38s07.asp

Why you should never run more than one AV (see reply from quietman7):
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?s=49db784baecf17e7b189c833aafb624d&showtopic=260844&view=findpost&p=1441638

Therefore, I suggest that you uninstall ZA http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/ - see #53, via the vendor's tool, then do a Custom Install without the AV portion and only use the FW.

3. With any security software, you need to use the vendor's uninstaller tools and not a third-party tool like Revo.  Revo is a great product, however security programs are often designed differently.  Avast has it's own Uninstall Utility Tool http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility.

4.  Since you are having problems, I recommend that you uninstall Avast and do a clean install:

1. Save a copy of newest version of Avast (5.0.677) for the version you need and save it to your HDD:
Pro –  http://www.avast.com/pro-antivirus#tab4
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.0 and 5.0).  Run the uninstall tool for BOTH versions 4.0 and 5.0 at this time.
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Uninstall Avast through "Add/Remove Programs" through Control Panel if possible. 
5. Boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.
6. Reboot twice.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
7. Get Internet access and update Avast definitions.
8. Register your copy or add the license key for Pro.  Reboot.

5.  Update MBAM and run a Quick scan and see if anything comes up.  If so, please let me know (screen shot works great). 

6.  Also run an Avast FULL scan and see if anything comes up.

Let me know if you have any questions.  Thank you.

AdB

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 12:32:57 AM »
Wow, what a filthy Mbam log.

First, never keep 2 resident AV's on you system, turning it off it is not enough.  It makes you not more safe, but less, and can cause system problems as well.  I have never used ZA, so I don't know if you can remove only the AV component, or if you would need to totally re-install ZA, leaving the AV out of a custom install.
I don't have two AV running at the same time.... The AV portion of ZA can be disabled independently of its firewall function , and that's exactly what I did. I use only the ZA firewall, not its AV.

Second, whatever Revo's dogma of being the master of all uninstallers, it is not meant for AV applications.  For AV's, always try to remove naturally through Windows first, then use company made removal tool.
(if normal uninstall fails or you have problems on next install).
What Revo does is first to use the Windows uninstaller (which ran correctly to completion), then removes any remnants from the registry. Anyway I have just run the Avast uninstaller, but there were nothing for it to find.

Those two things above I would normally point to as the source of your system troubles, but what Mbam removed might have had something to do with it as well.
I wish you were right.... Windows still locks up when starting... do you know whom I have to write to have a reimbursement of what I paid for the Avast 5 Pro license ? Or at least have it converted to an Avast 4.8 Pro license ?

TNX
Alberto

Gargamel360

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 12:40:49 AM »
Disabling is not enough.  I went through this with McAfee disabled on my PC, Avast! running, thinking (logically it seemed), that all those naysayers where just fanboys defending their product.   

BSOD's are educational, I learned how wrong I was after 3 full months of that setup with no problem at all.

So to put it differently.......Remove Avast! OR the ZA anti-virus, pick one.  I would prefer and recommend Avast!,  but for the health of your system, be rid of one or the other.