Author Topic: Problem with RPC error on startup  (Read 16631 times)

geokef

Problem with RPC error on startup
« on: August 04, 2004, 08:26:05 AM »
Hi friends
I have a problem on startup , the blue icon appears with the red mark that shows is inactive for about 20-30 sec and then comes up in active mode and everything is ok!!
In that time the taskbar is frozen and if i try to activate avast i have the RPC error!! I tried clean install , repair , change to XML  , check the services are ok , deactivate Zone Alarm but nothing! My system P4 2.4  , 1 G ram . Win2000 SP4 with the latest updates!
Can anyone help??
Thank a lot my friends!!!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Problem with RPC error on startup
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 09:44:01 AM »
Sounds like you have many things loading at boot time. Remove the things that aren't needed for the system to work properly from the startup list and see if it still happens. Use this util to remove them.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 09:44:41 AM by Artras »

geokef

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 10:10:41 AM »
No , not at all my friend , its a clean install of win2000 and then sp4  and all the updates.
This doesnt happen from the beginning but after a thorough scan of my drives! But i will try the link to the program to see if something in start up causes the problem!
Thanks a lot for replying in my message!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 10:19:59 AM »
It si normal for Avast to show as inactive for a little time at strtup, but 20-30 seconds is a bit long. Let us know if you find anything in the startup list. You may want to disable things there one at a time and reboot after doing so to narrow down the cause of this behaviour. Don't forget to enable it again ofcourse.  ;)

Metallo

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 10:31:12 AM »
Geokef,

Ho esattamente lo stesso problema che hai te, stesse condizioni, nuova installazione ecc. addirittura, direi che per me sono un po piĆ¹ di 30 sec, forse anche 45.

Non ho per niente molte applicazioni che partono allo start up, come te.

Spero che questo induca AVAST a guardarci dentro.

Grazie!
Alex
 ???

Oops...sorry guys, I was convinced to be on an Italian forum ::)

Anyhow, what I meant is that I've got the same issue as Geokef, maybe the waiting time is even longer, around 45 sec. but the operating conditions are the same, new installation W2K, PIII, 1GB RAM.
Very few applications that have to open on Start Up.

I hope this will lead AVAST guys to look into this issue with more concern.

Thank you!
Alex
 ??? ???
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 10:38:27 AM by Metallo »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 10:38:49 AM »
For those who don't understand Italien, this is what Metallo said:

Perhaps I have the same problem that you have you, same conditions, new installation etc. Execpt for me it takes more than 30 sec, more like 45. I do not have many applications that are loading at sart up, like you.

I was not able to translate the last line but if I'm correct it is something like:
"I hope the people of Avast can help us with this"

Sorry for any translation errors, but I don't undrstand Italien that well  :D

galooma

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 11:15:09 AM »
M$ have a new patch(KB867810) out today or yesterday dealing with RPC vulnerability  so i know it is probably not but worth a look maybe.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 11:45:16 AM »
I think you got the kb article number wrong. ;D
Visio 2003 appears to stop responding and takes a long time to save the drawing when you save a large Visio 2003 drawing as an AutoCAD Drawing (*.dwg) this is that article number and it has nothing to do with a rpc update. ;D

Metallo

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004, 01:35:47 PM »
Artras,

Congratualations for your Italian skills.
Maybe you didn'see, but I made already the translation below my original post, when I realised I was on an English forum ;)

Also I have an issue with Microsoft Outlook 2003, I still don't know if depends on AVAST or not, but I can easily check.
However, the problem is that when I open  MS Outlook, it should automatically send/receive mails, but notwithstanding the box into the Options is checkced, the mail is not sent or received until I click the Send/Receive button in the toolbar.

This evening I'll try to disable AVAST and let you have the results.

Ciaooo
Alex

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2004, 01:48:06 PM »
While I was busy with translating, you posted that english part. Anyway people now will know for sure what you said ;D

geokef

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2004, 03:04:50 PM »
Here is the pic of start up control panel
Start up user  empty , start up only the drivers for ISDN modem and the wacom tablet i use but i tried to disabled them and start manually. The result was the same!!
Strange...!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2004, 03:14:21 PM »
Ah zonealarm, that can be it. ZA seems to block certain things while it is loading. Disable ZA from loading, reboot and see if Avast loads/start faster. I have the same behaviour as you only here the delay is about 3-4 seconds. Avast starts as soon as ZA has started here.

geokef

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2004, 03:37:12 PM »
Unfortunately nothing happens even if disabled ZA on start up!! What i noticed is that it takes over 40 secs frozen taskbar and then hard disk activity for 5 secs and then avast is autoenabled!!! I deactivated also avast from the start up in order to open it manually but again 40 secs frozen taskbar etc so i thought it was a windows problem but when i unistalled avast everything was ok on startup!! Pitty , i have the same programs on my laptop ( but win XP) and everything works fine!! Anyway i thank you for your help (amazing how quick i have response , thanks a lot) if you think there is anything else i can do pls write back!!

Metallo

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2004, 03:38:11 PM »
I have no firewall and this evening I'm going to install Kerio... ???

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2004, 03:47:09 PM »
You got me puzzled here geokef ;) Got no clue what it is then. Perhaps someone else jumps in with ideas.

Metallo, very wice decission to install a firewall.