Author Topic: Problems with Internet suite Firewall  (Read 2817 times)

Buggrit

Problems with Internet suite Firewall
« on: September 15, 2010, 11:23:16 AM »
Hi I have a customer who has installed Internet suite on all of his PC's. He now cannot access any of the machines file shares (standard SMB file shares created by windows networking). He asked me to help and I've done the following:

• Switched off the windows firewall
  • Added the network to the trusted (friendly) network zone
  • Set-up packet filter rules allowing incoming and outgoing traffic to ports 135 - 137 (TCP) for the local network ip range.

BUT... we still cannot get a connection between machines. I have tried disabling the firewall completely and that solved the problem but it is not a long term solution. 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated...?

Thanks

JB

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Problems with Internet suite Firewall
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 12:33:40 PM »
Check the firewall's log and see what part of the filesharing is blocked.
Set the appropiate rule for it in the firewall so that it is allowed.

Buggrit

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 02:28:42 PM »
Hi Unfortunately I don't have access to the computers there right now, but I'm sure the logs were not showing anything blocked.  That is why I was having problems.

Even with an "any source to any destination - Pass - always"  rule in place, it (the firewall) was still blocking the file and printer sharing (SMB) traffic this did not show in the logs and was only evident when the firewall was switched back off - everything sprang back to life then.

Same story for all the network computers at the site and unfortunately I don't have another avast installed site against which, I can compare this with.

Surely an "any-any-pass-always" rule will pass any traffic from any machine to any machine always....?

Colour me confused!

JB
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 02:32:07 PM by Buggrit »

Buggrit

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 10:35:32 AM »
Does anyone have a similar problem? or any suggestions.  It feels like there may be a single setting or perhaps an IPS rule that I can just switch off.  ???

Thanks

JB

Gargamel360

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 06:37:15 PM »
In firewall's expert settings, do you have "internet connection sharing mode" on?
Try that, if you have not already.