Author Topic: Auto-Scan after resume from standby/hibernate - hard disk blocked for minutes?  (Read 13682 times)

Gargamel360

I'm pretty sure the problem is caused by Avast.  AshServ.exe for example seems to produce a lot of activity. If I disable Avast, the problem is gone.  A conflict with what?  It occurs on every XP, Vista and Seven PC I have, Originally I thought, the massive amount of hard disc activity a few minutes after waking up from standby or hibernate is caused by the Windows Search process, but this is already disabled.  There must be something Avast is performing on the hard disc a few minutes after resumung from sleep.  I cannot image I am one only one that has this problem (on several, totally different PC)...What is Avast doing a few minutes after getting back from standby/hibernate - and how can I stop this massive hard disk activity caused by Avast?

How many systems do you have?,  It is virtually impossible to troubleshoot as you are not giving enough info to make a real pin-point judgement.  And even if you did, if you have as many systems as you claim, it would take up a huge amount of space, and many users will simply pass by such a daunting task as trouble shooting at least 3 system types, hardware and virtual.   

Summarize each system, including OS, service packs, Security programs, ram, disc space, ......you see how much that would total?   Each of your systems would need its own individual thread, with specs and separate setup logs or dumps for each. 

Alternative; clean install on all of your many varied systems.
How 2?>>1. Get the Avast! uninstall tool>>
        http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html
        2. Go get appropriate Avast! setup again,
        3. Uninstall avast normally. reboot.
        4. Use the removal tool.  reboot.
        5. Run Avast! setup. reboot (yes, again)

Amel

Each of your systems would need its own individual thread, with specs and separate setup logs or dumps for each.
No, not at all. Because the problem occurs on so many diffent systems with diffent Windows OS versions, it is not a conflict with a certain 3rd party hardware or software that I may have installed as well.

Instead, it is a general behaviour of Avast. And I just like to know how I can tell Avast NOT to perform this massive hard disc access a few minutes after the PCs wakes up from standby/hibernate. What option or switch do I have to disable to get rid of this silly hard disc access-mania after every wakeup?

Gargamel360

It is NOT a general behavior, sorry.  There would be many(many) more people here with the same problem, especially across OS's from XP to 7, heck even one sweeping bug across a single OS would be quickly evident. 

My Win7 w/ AIS has not any problem coming back from sleep like you describe, i.e. "massive HDD activity that locks you from accessing disc".  Nor has anyone else I have seen post here recently. 

Have you maybe changed any of the file system shields expert settings, i.e. the Sensitivity or Packers sub-sections?

Atani

In other words, do this on one of your systems:

Alternative; clean install on all of your many varied systems.
How 2?>>
        1. Get the Avast! uninstall tool>> http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html
        2. Go get appropriate Avast! setup again,
        3. Uninstall avast normally. reboot.
        4. Use the removal tool.  reboot.
        5. Run Avast! setup. reboot (yes, again)

Don't skip any steps. Then, once you are absolutely certain that all remnants of previous avast! versions are gone, and you have nothing left but a clean install, see if you still have the same problem.

If not, you know then that the problem was due to not properly uninstalling previous versions, or perhaps a faulty installation altogether.

If you still are having problems, try to figure out what things all of your systems have in common. Installed programs and whatnot. Perhaps there's one program you installed on all three systems that is causing a conflict, or perhaps on all three systems you just have so many programs that startup at the same time, that when avast! attempts to scan all of them as they start running, it causes lots of lag.