Author Topic: { Resolved }Avast 5.0.677 Mail Shield Running but shows No Scans Done  (Read 8065 times)

athome34GBK

Hi,
i updated from avast! 4.8 to 5.0.677 about 2 weeks ago. Today I noticed that the Mail Shied shows Protected status: Running, but the Traffic history shows scanned items 0 for the  entire time.
Does this mean that because my Mail is not scanned, it is not protected? Should it be scanned?
{ Shows the same in IM and P2P shields }    Below is a snap of my OS.
Thanks in advance for helping.                    athome34GBK
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 05:12:03 AM by athome34GBK »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast 5.0.677 Mail Shield Running but shows No Scans Done
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 07:26:46 PM »
Hi,
i updated from avast! 4.8 to 5.0.677 about 2 weeks ago. Today I noticed that the Mail Shied shows Protected status: Running, but the Traffic history shows scanned items 0 for the  entire time.
Does this mean that because my Mail is not scanned, it is not protected? Should it be scanned?
{ Shows the same in IM and P2P shields }    Below is a snap of my OS.
Thanks in advance for helping.                    athome34GBK
What is the mail client your using ? IM and P2P wont show anything unless your actually using those sort of program's.

athome34GBK

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 12:06:57 AM »
Hi,
 I use both Gmail and Windows live and did so with avast 4.8. My settings seem fine in both emails and in the avast! Mail Shield. But I really am not sure. I have noticed that the drop down page in IE no longer shows a link for Gmail, only for windows live.
 I am not even sure if I should be using my emails although avast! shows Protection Running.

Thanks for looking into this, athome34GBK

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 12:14:48 AM »
I use both Gmail and Windows live and did so with avast 4.8.
How do you connect to Gmail ? Webmail or do you use a mail program ?
When you say Windows live do you mean the webmail or the windows live mail program ?

athome34GBK

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 04:01:22 AM »
 Hi,
!) My connection to gmail is via the Web. (IE) It is a google accoumt.   mail.google.com
2) I investigated gmail and as of Sept 10/10 it is SSL encrypted. I use POP3. The POP3 incomming
    port is 995  and the STMP SSL outgoing  port is 465.
3) Closed the windows live mail account. It is under Hotmail. No issue.
4) Noticed that the avast! Mail Sheild SSL setting page is blank.

Do I fill in the page with  gmail or mail.google.com ?    POP3     Port 995 or Port 465 ? I have no idea if these ports are universal but was all I could find. There may be a standard port.

Will this fix the lack of scanning and should I be using email before it is fixed?
  Hope this makes sense, am fairly new to computers.  Many Thanks   athome34GBK
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 04:58:04 AM by athome34GBK »

Gargamel360

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 05:02:31 AM »
Do you not have an email client program?
If don't use an email program like Outlook or Thunderbird, where the mail actually lands on your machine, then the mail shield has nothing to scan.  That is all handled by whichever webmail provider you use.  I think Google scans with McAfee and one other engine. 

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 07:05:39 AM »
The same with window's live mail as you would have to have it on your cpu to connect and download from hotmail but i tried some settings that someone else gave me here on the forum's for avast to scan live mail and did not have any luck, it just kept timming out. Hotmail has it's own scanning anyway which i think is trend micro.

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 09:15:39 AM »
Most webmail (including gmail webmail with SSL) have their own AV scanners.  I have experienced this myself in looking at my Avast mail shield.  Since the email is automatically scanned by gmail, I don't worry about it.

athome34GBK

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 10:25:41 AM »
Hello,
Thanks everyone!

Sorry I was not able to answer the question about email client programs correctly. Thought gmail was an email program (for clients) on the Web!!!   Then becme more concerned with gmail changing to SSL encryted right at this time.

All your help is much appreciated and will not worry about avast! not scanning for my gmail Webmail anymore. Again avast! is doing a great job!
                                                                    athome34GBK
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 10:51:15 AM by athome34GBK »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 10:48:33 AM »
If you connect to Gmail here ?
https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=mail&passive=true&rm=false&continue=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.google.com%2Fmail%2F%3Fui%3Dhtml%26zy%3Dl&bsv=1eic6yu9oa4y3&scc=1&ltmpl=default&ltmplcache=2
That means you are using web mail and read the mail online so there is no mail for avast to scan

same thing if you use windows live here
http://login.live.com/login.srf?wa=wsignin1.0&rpsnv=11&ct=1253879194&rver=6.0.5285.0&wp=MBI&wreply=http:%2F%2Fmail.live.com%2Fdefault.aspx&lc=1033&id=64855&mkt=en-us

Gmail check all mail accounts with McAfee and Authentium ( Postini spam/virus filter)
Hotmail/Live mail use TrendMicro
Yahoo use Norton

you can however use a mailprogram to download the mail to your computer and sett up avast to scan the incomming/outgoing mails
info on that you can find here
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=458

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 11:04:13 AM »
I think Pondus gave a thorough answer.  Do you have any other questions we can help you with?

Dch48

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 04:57:47 PM »
Hi,
 I use both Gmail and Windows live and did so with avast 4.8. My settings seem fine in both emails and in the avast! Mail Shield. But I really am not sure. I have noticed that the drop down page in IE no longer shows a link for Gmail, only for windows live.
 I am not even sure if I should be using my emails although avast! shows Protection Running.

Thanks for looking into this, athome34GBK

I'm not clear what you mean by Windows Live Mail. If you are using the Windows Mail client that is bundled in Vista and you are receiving gmail and/or Hotmail through POP3, it behaves just like Outlook Express. You have to turn off the SSL encryption for the mail accounts in that client in order for Avast! to be able to scan the mail. This changes the port settings to the normal 110 for incoming and 25 for outgoing mail. If you are not using the mail client and you are actually going to the Gmail site to read and send your mail, then Avast! will not scan it and doesn't need to.

athome34GBK

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 12:34:23 AM »
Hi,
Thanks very much Pondus for the links and for explaining. The links take me right to my sign in pages for gmail and windows live.ca { Hotmail} accounts. So all is web mail and scanned as you said.
Excellent. I am relieved and will read up on the mail program link. My questions are well answered,                                Thank You, athome34GBK     

« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 12:44:52 AM by athome34GBK »

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: Avast 5.0.677 Mail Shield Running but shows No Scans Done
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 01:11:03 AM »
athome34GBK,

Since your issue is now resolved/fixed, please go back to the first open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed. 

Feel free to come back any time you need help, to learn something new, or just to ask questions.  We are here 24/7 for your convenience.  Thank you.  :)