Author Topic: Need help: Avast won't update.  (Read 19658 times)

Bill44

Re: Need help: Avast won't update.
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 06:40:09 AM »
Tried Repair again, no difference.  Also ran Update from that same screen in Add/Change/Remove Programs window; it appeared to connect and open a number of folders/files and reported that update was successful.  However manual update attempts from the Avast app screen still freezes.

SafeSurf

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 07:43:18 AM »
@ Bill44,

Since you are having so many issues and cannot update, can you please check for malware with Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (MBAM) to see if this is causing any problems:

·    Download free http://www.malwarebytes.org/ for an on-demand scanner.
·    Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
·    After install, click update so you have latest database before scanning.
·    Under Settings:
o    General: Automatically Save File After Scan Completes is checked off
o    Scanner SettingsCheck all boxes
o    Updater: Download and install update if available is checked off
·    Once the program has loaded, select "Perform FULL Scan", then click Scan.
·    The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
·    When the disinfection scan is complete, a log will appear in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note).
·    Click the “remove selected” button to quarantine anything found.  You will find the infection details under the Quarantine tab.
·    The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
·    Copy & Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Please let me know if you have any questions.  Thank you.

Bill44

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 06:47:46 AM »
Ran MBAM as suggested. No threats found. No mention of a reboot or of any items to be quarantined.  Scan log text follows:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4649

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

9/18/2010 8:55:28 PM
mbam-log-2010-09-18 (20-55-28).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 255307
Time elapsed: 2 hour(s), 59 minute(s), 34 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

SafeSurf

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 07:07:57 AM »
Bill44,

Your MBAM log is clean...good news.  How do you connect to the Internet and what is your FW?

Bill44

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 03:32:22 AM »
Save Surf,
I connect through an ADSL modem via a router.  Aside from the Windows firewall I understand that my Netgear router has a firewall, but I have never used it to my knowledge; I will dig into its configuration to see what I can learn about what it is doing.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 04:44:16 AM »
Most routers that say they have a firewall still only protect against inbound attack, unless it specifically says it provided full outbound protection I would assume it doesn't.

So in a case where something gets past your defences, it has almost free reign to connect and download more malware, upload data, etc. as any inbound traffic resulting from an outbound connection would sail through your inbound firewall protection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Bill44

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2010, 05:16:00 AM »
DavidR
Checked my router config; it shows a capability to block outgoing by keywords or by specific websites. I have never turned this feature on, so it is not involved in my current Avast update problem.

SafeSurf

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 06:02:59 AM »
I have the same problem, 'won't update.'  Using XP and Windows Firewall (unfamiliar with accessing its settings, if any are user available).  Avast update was working until last week.  Tried Repair, Uninstall/Reinstall, same result.
- Are you using SP3 in you OS? [XP]

- What other security software do you currently have on your machine and what did you have in the past on this machine?  If you removed previous security software, how did you remove it (vendor's uninstaller tool or another way)?

- When you did the uninstall of Avast, did you use the Avast Uninistall Utility Tool in Safe Mode?

- How do you connect to the Internet?  By Broadband/Cable/DSL?

- When you open the Avast GUI > Settings > Updates > Update Parameters ... what do you have checked off)?  What do you have checked off under Proxy Settings?  Or give me a screen shot if it is easier.

Bill44

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 01:21:16 AM »
Safe Surf,
Running XP with SP3.
Besides Windows Firewall I am running SpywareBlaster and regularly run Malwarebytes AntiMalware. Last security scheme was Microsoft Security Essentials until it slowed my system down to a crawl.  Prior to that I ran AVG and ZoneAlarm. And long ago I ran Norton SystemWorks Premier. I think all were uninstalled using Windows Add or Remove utility in the Control Panel (except used Norton's uninstall for all SystemWorks but Ghost which is still installed but is only run manually).
Uninstalled Avast with its utility, which came up in the Windows Add or Remove sequence.  But I did this in normal mode, not Safe Mode.
Internet connection is by DSL.
Avast Update Settings follow.
- Engine/definitions = Automatic update
- Program = Ask when an update is available
- Update parameters = neither box checked
- Update options = all three boxes checked
- Auto update interval = every 240 minutes
- Proxy Settings = Direct Connection (no proxy)

SafeSurf

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 09:50:45 AM »
Last security scheme was Microsoft Security Essentials until it slowed my system down to a crawl.  Prior to that I ran AVG and ZoneAlarm. And long ago I ran Norton SystemWorks Premier. I think all were uninstalled using Windows Add or Remove utility in the Control Panel (except used Norton's uninstall for all SystemWorks but Ghost which is still installed but is only run manually).
Uninstalled Avast with its utility, which came up in the Windows Add or Remove sequence.  But I did this in normal mode, not Safe Mode.
OK.  I think I've identified some issues here.  It is possible that you have remnants on your machine from these other prior security software: MSE, AVG, ZA, Ghost (Symantec) - these all can present conflict with ANY antivirus software.

Use these links to find the vendor's uninstaller tools to run the uninstaller again, even if you did so already:
http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/
http://www.askvg.com/ultimate-collection-of-uninstallers-removal-tools-for-all-popular-anti-virus-software/
Norton removal tool from here to clear them  http://service1.symantec.com/support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

After running each uninstaller in Normal Mode, you must reboot your machine in between after each uninstall.

I suggest that after running the above uninstaller tools for the prior security software that you do an uninstall and clean install of Avast, but this time uninstall in Safe Mode and install in Normal Mode.

If your Internet connection is DSL, aren't you connected to the Internet all the time or do you turn something off?
Avast Update Settings follow.
- Engine/definitions = Automatic update - OK
- Program = Ask when an update is available - OK
- Update parameters = neither box checked - Change to My Computer is permanently connected to the Internet
- Update options = all three boxes checked - OK
- Auto update interval = every 240 minutes - You can change to 120 minutes if you like
- Proxy Settings = Direct Connection (no proxy) - OK
Note my comments in bold colors above, esp. the one in red.  This may help if you are permanently connected to the Internet via DSL.

Let me know how this goes.  Thank you.

Bill44

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 01:51:25 AM »
SafeSurf,

My Avast installation is back in the update business. My problem was solved by checking the 'My Computer is permanently connected to the Internet' box in Settings. I have no idea what changed it, as I had not ever changed any of the default settings when it was working from the initial installation. To answer your question about whether I turn something (i.e. router/modem) off, I often do just that when a non-internet savvy user wishes to work locally. That is the reason that I did not try checking the permanent connection box when I first reviewed my settings to send them to you.
Thank you for your patience with my problem. I now feel Safe to Surf again!

Bill44

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2010, 01:55:13 AM »
SafeSurf,

P.S. to my last post.
I also appreciate your suggestions regarding uninstalling previous apps and installing in safe mode. I intend to proceed with those recommendations to clean up any residuals that may remain in my system.
Regards

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: Need help: Avast won't update.
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2010, 08:54:44 AM »
I now feel Safe to Surf again!
Hey, I knew my name would come in handy some day!  ;D

I'm very glad that everything finally worked out for you.  Feel free to come back any time you need help, to learn something new, or just to ask questions.  We are here 24/7 for your convenience.  Thank you for allowing me to assist you.  :)