Author Topic: Having a problem with a new avast feature for avast free edition  (Read 5793 times)

Diddy

Having a problem with a new avast feature for avast free edition
« on: September 16, 2010, 08:32:23 AM »
HI I was wondering if I could ask a question.  Today I went on the avast software website and found the avast surprise.  I went to find out how I could make avast free talk like a pirate.  So I followed all the instructions fully.  This is where I have the problem I went into settings into avast free and then I went down until I found Language in the window I found add additional languages so I clicked on that button witch brings up Language setup window and then I went down the long list of languages until I found Pirate talk so I put a check mark beside pirate talk now I am having trouble now because this window only has in the right corner a big red x to exit the window I cannot find the OK button or cancel button or apply button at the bottom of the Language Setup window so I would like to now how do I apply the pirate talk Language to my Languages pull down menu that has English right now.   When I use the pull down menu English is the only language in the pull down menu at this time.  I would like to add pirate talk to the menu as well so avast free will speak like a pirate.
help please

some info that might be useful

Avast free antivirus software
Avast free edition
avast defintion update: 100915-1
avast program update: 5.0.677
Windows Vista home Basic

SafeSurf

Re: Having a problem with a new avast feature for avast free edition
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 08:58:29 AM »
Since this is new, I believe the Pirate Talk is English-Pirate Talk.  Are you familiar with how pirates speak?  It is somewhat slang but in English. 

If you have a red "X" then I suggest you reboot your machine to see if it goes away.  Otherwise, try an Avast Repair:

Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus > Remove.
Then choose Repair function in the pop-up window (Repair).  Reboot.

Let me know if this fixes the problem.  Thank you.  :)

Diddy

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 09:36:27 AM »
HI SafeSurf no your suggestions did not work after I did the repair and rebooted I went back through the settings and into Language and went through the language setup window and pushed on install additional languages again and the Language setup window came up again and I checked the Pirate talk and again I have no OK button at the bottom of the language setup window or cancel button i can not find any of these buttons at all.
I have the lastested version of avast free edition.
thanks for your help
appreciate it a lot.

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 09:41:03 AM »
Was Avast working fine prior to you trying to do this?

When was the last time you did an Avast scan?  If so, what type did you do?

Diddy

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 01:16:15 AM »
HI I never change the language in avast I always keep it on English.  Yes avast is working find and yes I did do a virus scan last Monday I do a full system scan once a week and all the time it comes up saying that their is no threat found.

Since I don't change the language on avast very often I did not notice that the language setup window did not have any buttons at the bottom of the window.

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 01:21:17 AM »
Uninstall Avast and do a CLEAN install:

1. Save a copy of newest version of Avast (5.0.677) for the version you need and save it to your HDD:
Freehttp://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download#tab4
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD.
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Uninstall Avast through "Add/Remove Programs" through Control Panel if possible. 
5. Boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
7. Get Internet access and update Avast definitions.
8. Register your copy or add the license key for Free:
      Free – http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php

Let me know how this works for you.  Thank you.

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 01:43:27 AM »
I was just informed that there is a bug in the Pirate Talk and that an uninstall and clean install of Avast is needed for Avast to work.  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=63996.0 - see last post by Vlk.  There will be an update later to fix this bug.  In the meantime, do the uninstall and install, but do NOT do anything with Pirate Talk.

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 01:46:28 AM »
I was just informed that there is a bug in the Pirate Talk and that an uninstall and clean install of Avast is needed for Avast to work.  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=63996.0 - see last post by Vlk.  There will be an update later to fix this bug.  In the meantime, do the uninstall and install, but do NOT do anything with Pirate Talk.
hello SafeSurf :) i installed Pirate talk on my avast free just to see what it sounded like and looked like on avast but it looked cool and avast on my computer didn't mess up at all.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 01:50:20 AM by Coolmario88cp »
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 07:42:34 AM »
@ Coolmario88cp,

Then consider yourself lucky and don't mess with the settings anymore until the official new release on September 19.  Many others are having problems if you read the forum threads, as I am trying to help this OP and others.  Thank you.  :)