Author Topic: Is my Google Chrome infected?  (Read 7985 times)

AzurePhoenix

Is my Google Chrome infected?
« on: September 16, 2010, 11:58:48 AM »
It's almost 3am, and I can't sleep because I am so scared about what happened to Google Chrome while browsing. I was being an idiot, clicked on a site with a red rating from a community, and later when I browsed on normal sites, I see a message that a trojan horse was blocked. I then visited other sites (that are COMPLETELY safe), and the SAME trojan got blocked over and over for five times. I visited those very same sites on Firefox, and I received no more messages.

Would reinstalling Google Chrome help? Also, can malicious files spread between browsers? I don't want to surf the net and have hundreds of blocked malware attempts every day. I am really scared.

Using Avast 5.0 Free version

P.S: I am a COMPLETE newbie when it comes to this stuff...so if there is any extra info you need or want to tell me, go right ahead and mention it. Please don't bite me...being new and being surrounded by a bunch of professionals makes me a bit nervous T_T.

Hermite15

Re: Is my Google Chrome infected?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 12:01:57 PM »
no, re-installing Chrome won't help ;D , you have to clean your system, what does avast tell, alerts? >>> screen shots please ;)

AzurePhoenix

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 12:07:14 PM »
This is embarrassing but...I don't know how to take screenshots and edit the important parts for people to see...

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 12:23:29 PM »
...reading the end of your firt post that I skipped, silly me, seems that Avast already did a good job. Just in case, download this too and install it, then when you launch it don't forget to fist update it and run a quick scan (not a full scan)
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php

then please report the output here (you will see a result window popping up when the scan is finish)

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 01:27:03 PM »
yeah considering you got the same popup coming back again and again, might be some remnants in you temp files, so just press ctrl+shift+del in Chrome, and clear your private data, cookies etc...keep browsing history and download history if you want.