Author Topic: what browser now?... and a few words about IE9 beta  (Read 51847 times)

Onix

Re: what browser now?... and a few words about IE9 beta
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2010, 09:34:21 AM »
Opera does well enough, but it has too many features most of which are useless...
Which are disabled by default ;) And if you don't want to use them, just don't turn them on.

I would hate to be sent to Siberia as you seem to like it.
http://digitalculture-ed.net/saraht/2009/10/08/cyberia-siberia-the-mighty-boosh
Siberia is a great region, especially when you live near lake Baikal ;) There are very beautiful places here.  

13thSlayer

« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2010, 01:32:47 PM »
He continues to post Rubish

Sadly, you continue doing it too
Sadly I do not have access to cheap Russian Vodka so I will continue. ;)

A typical Russian having a good time.

Using pirated XP SP2 ::)

˙ʍou ɟʇʍ ˙ɯnɹoɟ ɐ ƃuıןןoɹʇ oƃ ʇ,uop ןoɥoɔןɐ oʇ ssǝɔɔɐ ou ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɟı ˙˙˙ɥsǝǝɥs ˙˙˙ǝsuǝsuou ɟo pɐoן ɐ ʇɐɥʍ

YoKenny

« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2010, 02:53:17 PM »
Microsoft Says IE9 Beta Demand 'Pretty Overwhelming'
By Kevin McLaughlin, CRN  7:16 PM EST Tue. Sep. 21, 2010

Microsoft (NSDQ:MSFT) expected Internet Explorer 9 to be popular, but after more than two million people downloaded the IE9 beta in the first two days after its release, the software giant is having a hard time choosing which eye-popping statistics to cite.
Microsoft says its "Beauty of the Web" site, which illustrates the aesthetic advantages of IE9's support for HTML5 and hardware acceleration, has had more the 9 million visits and 26 million page views since the IE9 beta launch on Sept. 15. Microsoft's developer-oriented IE Test Drive Site has had 4 million page views during the same period.

All of this has apparently exceeded Microsoft's expectations for how things would play out with the IE9 beta. "The initial reaction has been pretty overwhelming, and we are very humbled by the response our customers have had," said Roger Capriotti, director of marketing for Internet Explorer, in a blog post Monday.
http://www.crn.com/news/applications-os/227500389/microsoft-says-ie9-beta-demand-pretty-overwhelming.htm;jsessionid=RJ8G2cHewJsftPGWWQXQ-g**.ecappj02

Online bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 63 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2010, 04:01:50 PM »
Would be nice if I could get it to run on my main system. All it ever does is crash, restart, crash and mess up the rest of the system.  :'(
Working fine on another desktop system and my laptop.  ??? ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline nobility

• The Family Historian
« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2010, 05:22:50 PM »
It would appear that Microsoft will be dropping support for XP soon if IE9 doesn't work on XP. Yoo bad because XP is still used tremendously!

:-[
Windows 10 Home  - Avast Free

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2010, 06:01:57 PM »
Hi 13thSlayer,

I also have Fx 4.0 on my computer and I like the Mozilla browser with NoScript, RequestPolicy and various other add-ons I use, but after my Flock Mozilla type (without geo-location) crashed, I wanted to try how far I could go adjusting security for, and set GoogleChrome to my likings and I think I came quite some way with the following extensions. Click&Clean (you know it from Mozilla) for Chrome, AdBlock with some special blocklists applied, Ghostery to view and block commercial - and other trackers, AdThwart (because you can block on the fly) and the extension is additional to Adblock's, Better Pop up Blocker, NotScripts, the easier to handle NoScript equivalent for Chrome, that just has some Java hick-ups, which are compensated by FlashBlock and NOREF. SecBrowsing to watch over the update status of all browser plug-ins, and I like what I experience there, gonna find more and analyze with Fiddler what is going round under the browser hood (works like a charm under Chrome),
So my conclusions the GoogleChrome that could not be tweaked and came without adjustable extensions a la default is long, long history, my friends, and if the Windows OS allowed it to work to the full capacity of it's javascript clockwork, everybody would like it best, only issue you have to store your extension settings somewhere on your machine to restore at once after total silent uploads of the browser, i.e. for the personal password settings of the NotScripts extension, you could even install GoogleAlarm to watch the Google tracking moments (could block these issues now as well). I try to restore my personal Flock special on Vista, but what I experience with GoogleChrome is not bad, not bad at all, it is still on my desktop and has a nice SuperMan theme, try it out and remember - GoogleChrome has not been hacked in hacker contests so far....

your friend,

Damian
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 06:07:24 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
It would appear that Microsoft will be dropping support for XP soon if IE9 doesn't work on XP. Yoo bad because XP is still used tremendously!

:-[

IE9 has nothing to do with XP Support, which is in the extended support cycle and ends in April 2014.

It just means you can't install IE9 if you have XP, no big loss to me I haven't used IE as my default/primary browser for many years and I can't see that happening any time soon.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.8821.762) UI 1.0.796/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2010, 06:21:57 PM »
Hi DavidR,

I agree with you with what you say about XP and IE, I would install IE8 on XP SP3 at any rate, because of security issues and implications for the rest of the OS. The use of a mitigation tool like EMET bringing in the new security features of Vista and Windows7 could be a very welcome thing for those that postpone the mitigation to Windows7 for whatever reason.
Another related issue is that MS like us users to mitigate and would welcome the urge to do so, especiallyvas a lot of firms are hesitant, because of apps compatibility or just money-wise.
But as a lot of users go clicking on a la default with the now obsolete XP and have not upgraded to XP SP3 or did nothing to bring in the newer Windows security features to XP, they then will be prone to more and more malware and hacks in the foreseeable future, no doubt about that,

polonus
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 06:23:54 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

MAG

« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2010, 08:38:37 PM »
I have been trying IE9. I normally use FF + noscript + linkextend, but I use one website that just won't work with FF.

I was looking for a fix for a minor IE8 problem, and MS were pushing IE9 beta on the same page - so I tried it.

It seems nice to use, and quick, but even in very limited use I have come across two fairly significant (for me) issues.

(1) It won't load BBC site weather maps (possibly one of the most popular UK websites)

(2) It won't load Trusteer Rapport (pushed by many bank and credit card sites as a necessary security feature).

Given that beta for MS probably means tens of millions of users, I am a bit surprised they've gone from the platform development version to public beta with issues of this type. I'll uninstall and go back to IE8 for my one FF problem site.

(my FF problem site is the UK government savings scheme - so maybe FF just can't believe that anyone trying to invest money with the UK government by debit card hasn't been the victim of a scam!)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2010, 09:45:40 PM »
What is the URL I can have a look and see if it also affects me ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.8821.762) UI 1.0.796/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2010, 10:19:07 PM »
I have been trying IE9. I normally use FF + noscript + linkextend, but I use one website that just won't work with FF.

(my FF problem site is the UK government savings scheme - so maybe FF just can't believe that anyone trying to invest money with the UK government by debit card hasn't been the victim of a scam!)
Maybe that FF + noscript is flawed ???

Online bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 63 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2010, 10:26:19 PM »

Maybe that FF + noscript is flawed ???
Please stop fishing for trouble.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

MAG

« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2010, 02:37:27 PM »
@DavidR
Thanks for the offer to help - it's nsandi.com (I'm not keen on full links - you never know what sort of place they get you to - hence my use of linkextend).

To get to the problem though you'd have to first set up an account, log in, then try to add money to your account by debit card - so don't feel obliged! The problem is that the mastercard secure/VbyV authorisation page never appears after entry of card details.

It works fine on IE8 - it's just a shame that there isn't a Noscript for IE (and the linkextend add-on for IE isn't much good). I have reported the problem to NS+I (who didn't really seem to believe it).

@YoKenny
Thanks, but it happens with Noscript disabled too. I have read of Noscript reloading of pages after permissions are changed causing card service sites to fail though.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2010, 03:26:02 PM »
Well I have been able to use the "mastercard secure/VbyV authorisation page" in the course of on-line shopping at a number of sites without problem, so I don't know if this is specific to that site only.
Has it ever worked on this site ?
Have you ever used it (mastercard secure/VbyV authorisation) in another on-line shopping site where it worked ?

You're right setting up an account to test it is a step too far for me ;D

Do you also use any other security based add-ons in firefox ?
I also use RequestPolicy, prevents cross site scripting and that can get in the way at times so for on=line shopping sites, etc. I have to watch where they are trying to connect to and authorise only those required for shopping and processing, not adverts and google-analyetics, etc. etc.

Have you tried reporting it to the site, that doesn't work with firefox as it represents over 20% with some reporting around 24% depending on whose stats you use and if it is geographical for UK. So a good deal of their customers/potential customers could be using it.

MAG

« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2010, 05:01:41 PM »
mastercard secure/VbyV authorisation page works fine for me too with FF in every other site that needs it.

The only other browser security app I have had is Trusteer Rapport - but I have that in IE too.

I have reported the problem to the site a few months ago. No change as of today.

Using IE8 for this one site isn't really a problem.

(I am trying out RequestPolicy now - looks like a good addition to browser security/privacy.)