Author Topic: Is XviD safe?  (Read 77407 times)

Offline hiswifey09

Is XviD safe?
« on: September 16, 2010, 04:20:06 PM »
I've been trying to find a place to watch movies online. The one that I use to watch them at is pretty good, but they now need you to install XviD to watch the movies. I was wondering if it's safe? I've tried searching the web, but hardly anything comes up. I've gotten that some people seem to have no problems, but then some do. So I thought I'd ask you guys/girls since I'm likely to get a better, and more reliable answer here.

Thanks again.  :)

Dch48

Re: Is XviD safe?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 04:33:54 PM »
Xvid is a very good avi codec and yes, it is perfectly safe. If you are interested in watching and making videos of your own, I suggest installing a free program called Format Factory. It installs almost every codec you would ever need and nearly all of your files will then play in the regular Windows media player. If you get Format Factory, you don't need to install Xvid since it's included along with Divx, H264, MP4, Matrosky, and a slew of other codecs.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 05:02:27 PM »
DivX codecs can decode XviD as well since they are virtually the same.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Dch48

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 05:25:34 PM »
DivX codecs can decode XviD as well since they are virtually the same.
I know the Xvid codec can decode Divx. I'm not sure if the reverse holds true since I only install the free Xvid one.

dipu06

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 12:40:47 AM »
It seems this is not safe to install XviD, Actually this forum misguided me. After seen the post from this forum then I have started install XviD then I got warning from my Antivirus... Thanks I did not affected...Since my antivirus protected me..

Please don't misguide people by giving wrong information.

Thanks,
Paul

Dch48

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 08:09:04 PM »
If you got a warning from your AV about the valid version of XVID, it is definitely a false positive and should be reported as such. As with many codecs, however, there are hacked versions floating around. Get it from the actual developer site and it will be fine. Alternatively, you can get the ffdshow codec which decodes almost every video format known.

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 09:11:18 PM »
If you got a warning from your AV about the valid version of XVID, it is definitely a false positive and should be reported as such. As with many codecs, however, there are hacked versions floating around. Get it from the actual developer site and it will be fine. Alternatively, you can get the ffdshow codec which decodes almost every video format known.

I think the best solution for movies is K-Lite Codec Pack with Media Player Classic(MPC).  ;)