Author Topic: SANDBOX and NEW FireFox 3.6.10 problem  (Read 15193 times)

MasterTB

Re: SANDBOX and NEW FireFox 3.6.10 problem
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 06:32:58 PM »
For now I have disabled the sandbox waiting for a resolution to this issue.

Martin.-

SafeSurf

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 01:09:34 AM »
As promised, a small update on the situation.  The QA guys have managed to recreate the situation here at avast HQ and are therefore currently working on how to get this solved.  I will get more news to you as soon as we have it. 

Also as per SafeSurf's message, thank you for your patience  :)

Best,
Adam
The Avast Lab first needed to replicate the problem, then find the solution to fix it; they do not work on the weekend.  This all occurred after FF upgraded to 3.6.10.  So Avast is aware of it and are trying to fix it as soon as possible.  Thank you again for your understanding.

Diazruanova

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 01:24:20 AM »
Oh, OK thanks again and please keep us posted as soon as there are news :-)

SafeSurf

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 01:26:16 AM »
The Avast Team will reply to all of you in this thread.

Jon_T

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 05:40:15 AM »
Glad to see the avast! team is working on this.

However, just a FYI for those who have not done the 3.6.10 update; the only item the 3.6.10 upgrade was issued for:
Fixed a single stability issue affecting a limited number of users.
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.6.10/releasenotes/

Unless you're are one of the "limited" users being affected by the stability issue really no pertinent (i.e., security/vulnerability) reason to install the update.  Hence, I have no intention of installing 3.6.10 on any of my three systems; i.e., why fix it if it's not broken.  ;)

FYI -- Security Advisories for Fx 3.6.X:
http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox36.html

onepk

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 10:11:20 AM »
Good point Jon_T, maybe a reason to think about turning off auto-updates.  Sometimes it rains on even the well-meaning and (self-)righteous!!

Jon_T

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 05:05:41 PM »
Good point Jon_T, maybe a reason to think about turning off auto-updates. ...
I learned a long time ago to disable auto updates for all my apps.

When a update is released I wait for 3-5 days and read the forums to see if users are experiencing any problems/issues from the update.  Over the years this has saved me from quite a few of problems/issues resulting from updates.  ;)

Diazruanova

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 12:20:35 AM »
Hi,

Kind of curious about how long it would take to create a work-around on this problem and have FFx 3.6.10 running again Sandboxed: ...it took no more than 8 minutes and now it is running fine and opening without problems SANDBOXED!

1.- Downloaded a fresh copy of FireFox 3.6.10 from Mozilla´s site
2.- Backed up my profile with MozBackup
3.- From the Add-Remove programs control panel, I Uninstalled FireFox deleting everything   related to it (the uninstaller has this option)
4.- From the Add-Remove control panel I repaired avast´s installation
5.- Proceeded to install the fresh Firefox new version
6.- Re-boot the PC
7.- Right-click on Firefox´s icon and click on the "Always Run in SandBox" option
8.- Restored with MozBackup the original previously backed-up copy of my FFx profile
9.- Launched FireFox 3.6.10  ...and voila! FFx again is running SandBoxed

Total time from number 1 to number 9: 7 minutes and 30 seconds aprox

This does NOT mean that you guys from avast are exempt of the responsibility of fixing this bug ehhh???  ;)

SafeSurf

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 11:24:09 AM »
@ Diazruanova,

It looks like you discovered a good work-around that perhaps others should take a look at.  Maybe someone should hire you.  ;)

Diazruanova

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2010, 03:26:39 PM »
@ Diazruanova,

...Maybe someone should hire you.  ;)

Yes, that would be nice, maybe avast?  what do you think?  :)

SafeSurf

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2010, 09:05:26 AM »
Yes, that would be nice, maybe avast?  what do you think?  :)
;)

onepk

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2010, 03:06:11 PM »
Hi,

Kind of curious about how long it would take to create a work-around on this problem and have FFx 3.6.10 running again Sandboxed: ...it took no more than 8 minutes and now it is running fine and opening without problems SANDBOXED!

I think I can beat your 7.5 mins and get it down to about 2 mins (standing on the shoulders of giants of course)!  All I did was to download Mozbackup (since I wasn't aware of it before), install and run a backup and hey presto after that FF3.6.10 comes up and runs in the Sandbox as easy as you like...... unless of course someone did something else sneaky behind the scenes in FF or Avast and didn't let on?  Bit of a coincidence though if so.

As said by Diazruanova, it would nice to have an official fix - or maybe all we need now is an explanation?

Diazruanova

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2010, 05:22:12 PM »

...... unless of course someone did something else sneaky behind the scenes in FF or Avast and didn't let on?  Bit of a coincidence though if so.

Well, probably they did something behind the scenes with avast, because MozBackup exclusively backs up the Firefox´s profile and does not modify FireFox at all.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2010, 05:45:34 PM »
The best things in life are free.

onepk

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2010, 07:49:55 PM »

Well, probably they did something behind the scenes with avast, because MozBackup exclusively backs up the Firefox´s profile and does not modify FireFox at all.

Surely that's not possible (they said they would tell us!) - anyway how could any such change happen with only database updates?

I ran FF out of the Sandbox - as I've had to become accustomed to for over a week, downloaded MozBackup, ran a backup, closed FF, went to eat, 30 mins later started FF in the Sandbox - magic!  I just love coincidences... and believe in conspiracy theories, and fairies and ....

Come on Avast - someone must know what's going on by now.  10 days ago, or whenever this topic started, I was about to tell everyone how great the service was - glad I held off a while.  An update, any update would be good, pleeeeease.