Author Topic: SANDBOX and NEW FireFox 3.6.10 problem  (Read 15130 times)

Diazruanova

SANDBOX and NEW FireFox 3.6.10 problem
« on: September 16, 2010, 04:45:42 PM »
HI,

Today, after updating FireFox from 3.6.9 to 3.6.10 I was NOT able to open it when Sandboxed with an XULRunner error: see attached JPG.
In fact, I tried to open a Sandboxed "Safe mode"of this new version, but to no avail, so here any add- on can be ruled-out of the equation.

When running UN-Sandboxed, this new FFx version runs perfectly fine, either in "Safe Mode" or in the Standard one.

Thanks

olejnikster

Re: SANDBOX and NEW FireFox 3.6.10 problem
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 06:26:36 PM »
I had a similar problem running previously Firefox in the sandbox. Whenever there was an update to a plug-in, or Firefox itself, upon restart/new start it would go in circles not allowing me to carry out any modifications to it(same updates over and over). Also any downloaded programs would not install completely if launched from download manager in Firefox. The best way to get around the updates problem was to take Firefox out of the sandbox emulation, and do everything then. Afterwards everything in sandbox emulation was updated and running as expected. Also installing directly through windows explorer was the only option for downloaded programs.

Diazruanova

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 07:38:09 PM »
Did you have the same error window as I do?

I had a similar problem running previously Firefox in the sandbox. Whenever there was an update to a plug-in, or Firefox itself, upon restart/new start it would go in circles not allowing me to carry out any modifications to it(same updates over and over). Also any downloaded programs would not install completely if launched from download manager in Firefox. The best way to get around the updates problem was to take Firefox out of the sandbox emulation, and do everything then. Afterwards everything in sandbox emulation was updated and running as expected. Also installing directly through windows explorer was the only option for downloaded programs.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 11:30:07 PM »
have you updated FF inside or outside of sandbox? thanks

olejnikster

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 01:57:57 AM »
No. In my case that didn't happen. It was however two months or so ago.

Did you have the same error window as I do?

Diazruanova

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 02:49:13 AM »
have you updated FF inside or outside of sandbox? thanks

At first, I forgot totally that it was Sandboxed, and I proceeded to update it and then the error appeared, so I downlaoaded the whole installer and updated it UN-sandboxed. FireFox updated fine, but now it does NOT open while sandboxed showing the error window, otherwise it runs fine.

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
Diazruanova,

I noticed that in your Signature you are using an older version of Avast.  Perhaps if you update to the newest version of 5.0.677 this may help.  Reboot after upgrading.  Thanks.

onepk

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 10:53:29 AM »
I have had the same problem this morning when updating Firefox.  Same error as originally reported.  I repeated the update OUT of Sandbox mode and that worked OK and so does FF but only OUT of Sandbox mode, still fails in Sandbox mode.  I have 5.0.677 Avast Internet Security package running.

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 11:01:45 AM »
It appears that most of you have updated FF to v.3.6.10 outside of the SB and got this error/problem using AIS 5.0.677.

I am going to need the assistance of the Avast Team for trouble-shooting on this. Please bear with me.

Edit:  An Avast Team member was notified, so we need to wait for a solution.  Thank you for your patience.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 11:12:18 AM by SafeSurf »

Adam Riley

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 12:09:08 PM »
Hi all,

@SafeSurf thank you for the message alerting me to this.

I will try to find out exactly what is happening here and ask our QA guys to recreate the scenario and do some testing to determine what is causing this.  I will post back here as soon as I can.

Many thanks,
Adam

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 12:13:38 PM »
I will try to find out exactly what is happening here and ask our QA guys to recreate the scenario and do some testing to determine what is causing this.  I will post back here as soon as I can.
Thank you Adam.  And thank you to our Avast users for your patience.  :)

Adam Riley

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 02:44:17 PM »
Hi guys,

As promised, a small update on the situation.  The QA guys have managed to recreate the situation here at avast HQ and are therefore currently working on how to get this solved.  I will get more news to you as soon as we have it. 

Also as per SafeSurf's message, thank you for your patience  :)

Best,
Adam

Diazruanova

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 03:19:44 PM »
Thank you very much for your response!!!  ;)

onepk

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 01:57:29 PM »
Hi, any further news on this one?  Since only a few people have indicated an interest in the topic does that mean this problem is only affecting a very few users? 

It might be nice if there was a poll button on each topic which meant "yes, I'm interested and also waiting for a solution" so that users could express interest without necessarily having to enter a reply. Would that help the Avast staff prioritise?  If not, how do they prioritise currently?

Diazruanova

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 03:45:16 PM »
Well, since avast has been able to re-create and acknowledge the problem, it would be nice for them to reply with the info on how and when this issue is going to be solved, IMO