Author Topic: Pirate English?  (Read 30857 times)

fragman

Pirate English?
« on: September 16, 2010, 06:51:20 PM »
I just received an avast pop-up regarding pirate English. Does anyone know what this is about?

Offline RZPogi

DESKTOP: Win 10, Avast 20 Free, Windows firewall, Malwarebytes free

LAPTOP: Win 10, Windows Defender, Malwarebytes free, Windows Firewall, Mcshield

fragman

Re: Pirate English?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 06:58:25 PM »
Aargh! I get it.

garlonwv

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 07:00:55 PM »
Neat idea!  Once you install it, can you revert back to regular English? ???

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 07:06:12 PM »
Neat idea!  Once you install it, can you revert back to regular English? ???

Yes ofcourse, just select "English" from the language pop-down menu.

Greetz, Red the Pirate.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 07:08:55 PM by Rednose »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

RealityTech

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 07:15:54 PM »
Neat idea!  Once you install it, can you revert back to regular English? ???

YARRRR!

georgermct

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 09:02:01 PM »
Who's the moron that came up with this STUPID idea? >:(

I thought my Avast was hijacked! 

You DON'T fool around and play "cute" when you job is securing millions of computers.

This is the most irresponsible thing I've ever seen in computer software.  Even Microsoft wouldn't pull a stunt like this.

Can I be the first in line to smack the guy silly for thinking and following through with this act?

Avast just do your job and secure my computer...don't start pulling this crap about trying to be cute or cool...WTF?

Gargamel360

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 09:28:43 PM »
Who's the moron that came up with this STUPID idea? >:(
I thought my Avast was hijacked! 
You DON'T fool around and play "cute" when you job is securing millions of computers.
This is the most irresponsible thing I've ever seen in computer software.  Even Microsoft wouldn't pull a stunt like this.
Can I be the first in line to smack the guy silly for thinking and following through with this act?
Avast just do your job and secure my computer...don't start pulling this crap about trying to be cute or cool...WTF?

Get a grip.  It is an optional language add-on.  Heaven forbid someone has a little fun. 
Do not like?......ok......don-not-use.........

ImWarm

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 09:40:36 PM »
Georgermct, why can't avast! celebrate talk like a pirate day? After all, the name of the company is a "pirate" word (avast!). ::) so don't take it too seriously...

IMO this is pretty cool. Is this the first time they did this? Makes avast special from other AV,s :)

georgermct

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 09:44:27 PM »
Get a grip.  It is an optional language add-on.  Heaven forbid someone has a little fun. 

Pirate "talk" is not a language.
And yes, the makers of my SECURITY SOFTWARE should be forbiden from having "a little fun" with some thing so frivolous as Pirate Talk Day...come on!

Gargamel360

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 09:48:30 PM »
Well, you are entitled to you opinion. 
I'm sure the dev's are happy you are not their boss.  ;)

georgermct

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 09:48:59 PM »
Georgermct, why can't avast! celebrate talk like a pirate day? After all, the name of the company is a "pirate" word (avast!).  so don't take it too seriously...

IMO this is pretty cool. Is this the first time they did this? Makes avast special from other AV,s

They shouldn't celebrate "Pirate Day" because it's not their job.

Like I said, I thougt my Avast was hijacked and made me worry about nothing because someone was being gay about their otherwise serious job.

Mike_X

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 09:52:15 PM »
I don't think they will throw you off the plank if you don't install it so I guess you should be fine. Remember that computers were made for making life easier, why can't it be fun too?

rfro

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 10:27:30 PM »
I saw the message and thought it was an exceptionally poor idea to make an alert about this. I really do not mind adding pirate english language as an option, but I hate getting spammed by software.

Anyway, I accidentally clicked the install button (my touchpad kind of sucks), which gave me the Win7 UAC control dialog. Not interested in installing anything, I denied access. That resulted in Avast crashing. I restarted my computer and now Avast will not start, crashing with the error "Failed to load language dll [1909\UILangRes.dll]".

So this little stunt wasted my time and left my computer without protection. No, Im not installing Avast again. The developers obviously do not consider Avast to be security critical software. Just make software that does what it should, do not compromise security/stability with alerts about pirate english... actually, for any software, never ever make popups for non-critical information, that is basically adware territory.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
Get a grip.  It is an optional language add-on.  Heaven forbid someone has a little fun.  

Pirate "talk" is not a language.
And yes, the makers of my SECURITY SOFTWARE should be forbiden from having "a little fun" with some thing so frivolous as Pirate Talk Day...come on!

Did you not bother to read the information on the page, if you clicked the avast! News Service about it Pirate Talk, if you did why did you bother to install the language module.

Or are you saying you didn't read it and blindly installed it anyway.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security