Author Topic: Does Avast 5 detect ZeuS.Zbot.aoaq banking trojan virus  (Read 22571 times)

zakuli

Does Avast 5 detect ZeuS.Zbot.aoaq banking trojan virus
« on: September 17, 2010, 11:13:17 AM »
Hi,

SafeSurf, can you answer clearly (YES or NO) to the question from "clueless101" and from "iga"

"Does Avast 5 detect ZeuS.Zbot.aoaq banking trojan virus"

or say where we can find easily the information wanted

Thank's for your answer

Best regards

SafeSurf

Re: Does Avast 5 detect ZeuS.Zbot.aoaq banking trojan virus
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 11:31:56 AM »
Please see the malware checking instructions that I posted here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=64000.0 - see Post #8.  You can continue your thread regarding this subject in this thread.  Thank you.  :)

Offline Left123

• There Is No Patch For Human Stupidity.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Proud Community Member&Helper.
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 12:21:07 PM »
i think avast can't detect this zeus,however zeus is the "worst" virus if you are from  USA where paypal from internet is a routine,also zeus creators use the latest methods to hide the virus in victims pc,correct me if i am wrong i think  zeus has no symptoms.
AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual-Core Processor 4200+ - 2.20 GHz,3,00 GB RAM -
Browser:Mozilla Firefox +WOT - SoftWare:CCleaner - Windows 7 32 bit
No Anti-Virus

shermans

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 12:43:51 PM »
I regret to say that SafeSurf does not know the answer.  I have asked him twice on the link to which he refers in the above posting, and unfortunately, he has studiously avoided answering the question each time.

Zakuli - your question could not be more clear but I doubt if you will get an answer which is equally as clear as your question.

I have of course followed the instructions which SafeSurf proposes, but nothing adverse is reported.  Of course, if Avast! cannot detect the virus, then you would not expect anything adverse to be reported !  So I still do not know whether I am infected, although I have absolutely no reason or symptoms to fear that I am.  But in this respect, Avast! is no help IF it cannot alert me to something which it cannot detect.  That is what I wanted to know, but I am really none the wiser.

In view of the reluctance to answer the question directly, but just to give a "politician's" answer, I can only conclude that Zone Alarm's claims that Avast! does not detect the virus are indeed, sadly, true.

Offline Left123

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 12:56:02 PM »
I regret to say that SafeSurf does not know the answer.  I have asked him twice on the link to which he refers in the above posting, and unfortunately, he has studiously avoided answering the question each time.

Zakuli - your question could not be more clear but I doubt if you will get an answer which is equally as clear as your question.

I have of course followed the instructions which SafeSurf proposes, but nothing adverse is reported.  Of course, if Avast! cannot detect the virus, then you would not expect anything adverse to be reported !  So I still do not know whether I am infected, although I have absolutely no reason or symptoms to fear that I am.  But in this respect, Avast! is no help IF it cannot alert me to something which it cannot detect.  That is what I wanted to know, but I am really none the wiser.

In view of the reluctance to answer the question directly, but just to give a "politician's" answer, I can only conclude that Zone Alarm's claims that Avast! does not detect the virus are indeed, sadly, true.

you don't have to blame avast(avast team) if it can detect this virus,atleast you can use other anti-viruses,you are infected with zeus?,it's your fault,they are just tryin to help you ;D

No Anti-Virus

shermans

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 01:06:14 PM »
I am not blaming anyone, least of all Avast!  I think very highly of Avast! and use it all the time.  If Avast! cannot detect zeus, then no doubt the other anti-virus software cannot either, and indeed Zone Alarm claims that Norton and AVG cannot detect it either.  So there is no point in using another anti-virus, because I am confident that Avast! is the best there is.

All I want is a clear answer to the simple question.  Can Avast! detect this virus or can it not ?  What is difficult about that question ?  And why will Avast! not give a straightforward, clear answer to that question ?  I do not understand why the Avast! team refuses to answer the question, that is all.  Enough people have asked, but the only answer anyone gives is a "politician's" answer which skirts around the point.

So let's try just one more time.  Can Avast! detect the ZeuS.Zbot.aoaq banking trojan virus or is Avast! unable to do so ?

tanya

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 01:21:29 PM »
Ok, lets say we are infected. What has happened and how?

If I after my infection have logged into my email-addresses, gaming-accounts, paypals, facebook, forum-accounts and whatnot. Does it mean that ALL that info is in the hands of someone else?

Does not the program (lets say if it logged my keystrokes when I typed my passwords/personalia) need to get through the ZA-firewall and upload the information? How does this actually work? They call it a Trojan, does that also mean keylogger?

Will post a scanlog soon.

Offline Left123

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 01:25:37 PM »
Ok, lets say we are infected. What has happened and how?

If I after my infection have logged into my email-addresses, gaming-accounts, paypals, facebook, forum-accounts and whatnot. Does it mean that ALL that info is in the hands of someone else?

Does not the program (lets say if it logged my keystrokes when I typed my passwords/personalia) need to get through the ZA-firewall and upload the information? How does this actually work? They call it a Trojan, does that also mean keylogger?

Will post a scanlog soon.

check this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzdBCDPETxk
No Anti-Virus

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 01:51:05 PM »
So let's try just one more time.  Can Avast! detect the ZeuS.Zbot.aoaq banking trojan virus or is Avast! unable to do so ?
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=64000.msg541023#msg541023

salit

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 01:56:01 PM »
I am not blaming anyone, least of all Avast!  I think very highly of Avast! and use it all the time.  If Avast! cannot detect zeus, then no doubt the other anti-virus software cannot either, and indeed Zone Alarm claims that Norton and AVG cannot detect it either.  So there is no point in using another anti-virus, because I am confident that Avast! is the best there is.

All I want is a clear answer to the simple question.  Can Avast! detect this virus or can it not ?  What is difficult about that question ?  And why will Avast! not give a straightforward, clear answer to that question ?  I do not understand why the Avast! team refuses to answer the question, that is all.  Enough people have asked, but the only answer anyone gives is a "politician's" answer which skirts around the point.

Hallo. I'm a FREE AVAST USER writing from Italy. Because of language I have some little problem to follow any single detail of SafeSurf's answers.
I'ld appreciate very much when Shermans's simple question should receive the simple requested answer.
And: does The Avast Free Edition detect the virus?

tanya

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 01:56:26 PM »
Hi, back again!

I ran Adaware, Spybot, Avast! and that malware-program I posted.

What else should I do to try detect it? What more is it too look for?

This any good? http://www.threatexpert.com/blog/zbot/ZeusDecoder.zip

I think it do some 'false' detections?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 05:00:10 PM by tanya »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 04:48:55 PM »
look for what, are you infected, do you have a problem ?

The Malwarebytes log you posted say " No action taken " you have to click the REMOVE SELECTED button to quarantine it

tanya

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 04:58:47 PM »
look for what, are you infected, do you have a problem ?

To know how to see if we are infected, and what suggest we're not infected.

That program I posted found 5 "signatures" on my computer, but that was prolly the aaw/windows defender and zeusdecoder definitions of the virus. So I am probably ok. Just very curious about this.

The Malwarebytes log you posted say " No action taken " you have to click the REMOVE SELECTED button to quarantine it

It was nps with that. It was some kind of harmless leftover.

Will just delete that post as it is just distracting. ;)

hezekiahj

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 05:48:51 PM »
Thank you lefty123 for the youtube link, I think it answers the question - and several other unasked questions, besides. Since the more malicious the hacker, the less likely he wants to be noticed until after he has stolen your info and draining your accounts, the question "What are your symptoms?" is next to POINTLESS! If the exploit is not detected before it is executed, by the time the system meltdown begins to show symptoms it is probably already too late.
I believe the Zone Alarm "warning" is a scare tactic (inexcusable behavior) but that doesn't remove the reality that NO SOFTWARE will detect a new variant until it is updated first by the provider, second by the end-user, unless it "gets lucky" in the heuristics scan. Thankfully, crackers are criminals, criminals are generally somewhat lazy, so heuristics will generally detect - as long as the setting is on "High".
Would anyone rather deal with a few false positives or the total financial ruin and ensuing destruction of their computer after the fact?
(Lefty's YouTube link is worth repeating/sharing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzdBCDPETxk )
Avast is STILL the best, most socially responsible and my all-time favorite safety/security tool. Until the day they pull a boneheaded scareware tactic like ZA at least...

Offline Left123

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 09:48:59 PM »

If the exploit is not detected before it is executed, by the time the system meltdown begins to show symptoms it is probably already too late.

well,exactly
No Anti-Virus