Author Topic: System Speed  (Read 4103 times)

craigtaz

System Speed
« on: September 17, 2010, 05:26:10 PM »
Hi Folks,

I am currently running MS Security Essentials AV software on Windows XP. While it may be protecting my PC, it uses too much memory and slows my system down. Somone recommended Avast. Is Avast heavy handed? Does it use a lot of resources?

Thanks.

Dch48

Re: System Speed
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 05:30:05 PM »
Avast! uses less resources than MSE, impacts system performance less, scans much faster, updates more often, and has more features and options. Given all that, the choice is clear. At least it is for me.

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 05:50:57 PM »
confirming that MSE is a ressource hog, very often at startup where it starts eating CPU usage...while Avast is quite light with more protection.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
Avast! uses less resources than MSE, impacts system performance less, scans much faster, updates more often, and has more features and options. Given all that, the choice is clear. At least it is for me.
100% Agree with you, it's what i tried to explain on the malwarebytes forum but i got back lashed from that lot, there moderator's are so intent that mse is the best thing since sliced bread that they wont here a word against it. Live and learn i say  :)

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 09:45:52 AM »
i most totally agree here that MSE is slowing down your computer back to the stoneage :D. I tried it on my 5 year old laptop with windows xp and a 256 ram card just to try it out. dame it slowed down the computers start up time with like 5-10 min. (before it was in windows) so i uninstalled it and now it avast instead that will have my computer up an running in less then a min. so MSE clames is good. .... no. keep up the good work avast you have my vote ;) 
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

MasterTB

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 07:17:21 PM »
I had been an Eset user since version 2.5, beta tested for Eset Smart Security on V3 where I got a free license and ported it to version 4 -I started using Eset Smart Security- regularly. After a ton of problems with it's firewall and the SSL protocol filtering -which never worked right- and the fact that I use Opera to read my mails -Opera has M2 built in- and Eset doesn't work with it I ditched it.

Being used to a light and fast AV I was forced to change, and I changed to MSE having read that it was light. Big Lie.
Used version 1 for a while 'till I got tired of the slowdowns, tried the Beta of version 2 on my laptop, same deal..

Now after looking to Avast! free as a recommendation from a friend I'm a happy soon to be customer of Avast Internet Security.
Very light and simple. No problems with the firewall, no slowdowns or performance impact on my system and the Sandbox is an extra bonus worth the money.
Hey even the Mail Shield and AntiSpam work with Opera.
What more can you ask for.

Give it a try, you won't regret it.

Martin.-