Author Topic: Using defragmenter  (Read 12252 times)

blunderbuss

Re: Using defragmenter
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 01:46:38 PM »
Did you reboot after installing Avast?  Is Avast working properly? 

Interesting to know how you removed KIS from your system - if by vendor's uninstaller tool or some other way.

What is the defrag software you are using and do you have any partitioned drives?

Did you use a cleaner prior to doing a defrag?   Many of us use CCleaner.  It is a freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool.  There is a Slim version available as well at http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds - 4th option down.  It removes unused files (cache, temporary Internet files, etc.) from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space.  It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history.  Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner. 

A good defrag with a boot-time defrag is from Puran (free version) http://www.puransoftware.com/Puran-Defrag.html.  Run the regular defrag first, then the boot-time defrag after wards.  Works very well on XP's.

Let me know if you have any questions.  Thank you.

Thanks for so many kind replies..(to all)
At least its not stubborn malware (I hope)..
One thing I would say is if so many people are reporting the same thing, its kind of a cheek to say, "use a third party's software" as even though the problem is indirectly windows based, it does'nt show up without avast..
By the way I uninstalled kaspersky properly, and there were no residuals, I would also like to say I think we've discovered why most software does not use the journal, maybe avast should follow suit..
And as good as puran sounds, stop plugging it.. when I install software, I do not expect to have to install unrelated software to help it work properly..! And maybe puran is'nt that good if it is'nt reporting the non-movable journal log..!

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 03:27:26 PM »
Boot-time defrag works great with Puran, but was sometimes problematic with others I've tried.
I read on the homepage of Pirisoft/Defraggler, that in the new Version of Defraggler (actually Version 2.xx/in the near future Version 3.xx) there will be a Boot-time defrag, too.

We'll see how it works... ;)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 03:29:03 PM by ~SKY~ »
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

bazer

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 04:40:37 PM »
 It seems that we are all getting away from the  reason why in the first place that the xp default defrager reported that it could not defrag some files, its because avast is creating a  USN journal for logs etc, not very big in size please avast just let us know that this is by design of ver5 of avast

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 05:28:20 PM »
As far as I'm aware, it is related to the Transient and Persistent caches, used to speed up scans. If you defrag and delete that journal, I believe you fill find the next scan takes longer as you have to build up the persistent cache again, I don't know if that is related/located in the journal.

It is certainly the case after defragging with Puran I find the next on-demand scan is a little slower, so I don't know if this is simply because files may well now be in different locations but the file hash would presumably be the same. Or could it be that it is defragging the journal.

The one thing I do know even if the journal is the reason and avast is creating it own journal entry, its size would be minimal even if fragmented when the rest of your hard disk has been defragged.

So I don't think there would be any system performance impact through it not being defragged, only it would seem avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security