Author Topic: Outpost Firewall Free  (Read 8743 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Outpost Firewall Free
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 11:37:03 PM »
I'm using the Outpost Pro firewall and that doesn't use 35MB of RAM (18,392KB of VM Memory, more accurate reading of memory in use) on my system and I would have thought the Outpost free firewall would use less, given it has less functionality.

My concern over Kerio a) it is no longer supported and b) is rules based which to a point you have to create the rules if you really want to tighten down security.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 11:54:12 PM »
Thank you all for your comments, I REALLY appreciate your help, but I'm quite confused about what to install... I'll open another thread about my security setup so that you'll see why I need a really light FW. Again, thank you all! :)
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

timcan

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 12:20:15 AM »
Hi, just wanted to add that my previous post stating the memory usage of pfw is at 5+ days usage(no reboot)
VM= PFGUI.exe 18,828 pfsvs.exe 2,588

Sorry to keep taking this off topic

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 05:06:43 AM »
No problem! Now I'm deciding about Kerio 2.1.5, Outpost Firewall, Personalfirewall and I've found another one: SoftPerfect Personal Firewall - do you know anything about it?

In the reviews I read Comodo is praised as the best FW and Zone Alarm is second or or so... But those who are quite resource hungry, I guess?
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

SafeSurf

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 08:42:18 AM »
Is there any other good and light firewall which also works fine with Avast!'s Free AV and has NO NAG SCREENS or any other kind of nagging (like Avast! Free for example)?
I've been using OA with Avast Free for quite some time and have had no problems with any of the versions.  I have 3 machines with XP and Vista, and have run anything from the public versions to beta versions on them with no problems or nag screens.  The newer versions of OA are more stable now than in the past and I use all shields for both software.

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 02:05:09 PM »
Can you tell me how much memory Online Armor needs to run (in the task manager)? Thank you.