Author Topic: Program temporary disable ? (free edtion).  (Read 5488 times)

Sotiris

Program temporary disable ? (free edtion).
« on: September 18, 2010, 10:55:11 AM »
Hi,

I would like to know whether it is possible to temporarily disable this antivirus program, eg to install a program that recommends to disable antivirus, or while running a power thirsty program like Flight Simulator. Not meaning just the shields disable, I have the impression that, in that way, it is still enabled.

Thanks,

Sotiris.

SafeSurf

Re: Program temporary disable ? (free edtion).
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 11:01:19 AM »
You should not have to disable Avast to install another program nor is it advised.  If anything, you WANT to have your AV protect you during the installation of another program.

I even have Avast scan programs that I download prior to installation. 

You can put Avast into Gaming Mode "Turn On" while you are playing the game, but then turn it off when you are done if this other program is "thirsty."

Joe S

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 11:11:14 PM »
You shouldn't have to but there are some programs that do require it. One is VMware Workstation. If you don't disable the Avast shields in guest when trying to update VM tools in a guest running Avast they don't install properly. ON reboot the guest will not dispaly to full screen properly. It doesn't matter the OS on guest XP Vista or Windows 7. It is a legitimate question that always gets poo pooed because most people haven't encountered it and gone thru the learning process of discovering it in a failed install. It is also recommended by many reputable software makers. I realize the software makers just slip that in because it's always been that way occasionally there is a need to disable AV.
Joe

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 09:40:51 AM »
I realize the software makers just slip that in because it's always been that way occasionally there is a need to disable AV.
Although I disagree with this and things can be put into Learning Mode or other ways to bypass this, I will give you instructions on how to temporarily disable your self-protection mode of Avast:

- First disable the Avast Self-Defense module (Avast -> Settings -> Troubleshooting > unclick the box for "Enable Avast Self-Defense Mode").  Confirm the consent message with Yes, and that's basically it.

- Now you can e.g. stop the Avast processes from the Task Manager.

- When done with what ever you needed to do for disabling the Avast Self-Defense module, remember to turn the Avast Self-Defense module back ON or you will not have antivirus protection.