Author Topic: [Resolved] CANT ACCESS INTERNET using avast AIS 5  (Read 61501 times)

Skowy

Re: CANT ACCESS INTERNET using avast AIS 5
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2010, 12:53:57 AM »
screen shot
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 12:56:02 AM by Skowy »

Skowy

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2010, 12:57:35 AM »
woops I'll try again

Skowy

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2010, 01:31:21 AM »
connections

Skowy

« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2010, 01:34:54 AM »
firefox browser connection error

SafeSurf

« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2010, 09:40:07 AM »
i submitted a hijackthis file to the tech support 4 days ago and they haven't responded in 8 days <snip> i am unsure if i should post a hijackthis file to a forum? i will need some advice on this outcome before proceeding
We work quickly here in the forum, and we are trying to resolve your problem as quickly as possible.  If getting the information needed from you can do this (like your HijackThis log) can help us, then we ask you to please provide it. 

To post something as an attachment (like your HijackThis log): In the Post windows > (Additional Options > Attach > Browse > Post).

Skowy, we are here 24/7, and understand that it can be frustrating to have a computer issue, so that is why we ask for information (including logs) to help you so that we can help fix your problem as quickly as possible.  Thank you.

mrsgoodwin

« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2010, 01:17:14 PM »
Hi

I have exactly the same problem.  I was using Avast 4 Pro previously.  I think the problem is more deep rooted than proxy setting etc... 

Normally I use a "wired" connection to my router, but now I can't even see it, so I tried wireless and I can't even see any networks, even though I know they're out there !!

I ran the install, which uninstalled the v4pro, everything seemed to go ok, but after the machine rebooted I had lost all network connectivity.  I disabled all the shields and the firewall but nothing except uninstalling the product made any difference.

I'm running XP Pro and I have Spybot, Windows Defender and Malwarebytes running on the machine.

ps I running the trial version - glad I haven't paid for it yet !!!

I did ask the Avast Sales Support people before trialing it, if there were any know conflicts with the other products I run and they said try it and see.  I'm not keen on their "suck it and see" attitude !!!

Skowy

« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2010, 11:57:27 PM »
okay SafeSurf, i attached the hijackthis file - but i am starting to feel like i'm playing a game of strip poker, i hope we can resolve it -
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 01:02:47 AM by Skowy »

Skowy

« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2010, 09:33:43 AM »
i received this from the technical support team but can someone explain it -

set the Web Shield "Heuristics sensitivity" to low and try again?

SafeSurf

« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2010, 10:09:29 AM »
I'm going to let someone familiar with interpreting HijackThis logs read your log and report in this post.

i received this from the technical support team but can someone explain it - set the Web Shield "Heuristics sensitivity" to low and try again?
What they want you do to is this:

Open your Avast GUI > click on Real Time Shields > click on Web Shield > click on Expert Settings (right side of page) > click on Sensitivity > you should see 4 orange bars (like a bar graph) and it should default on the "Normal" 3rd bar...they want you to click on the 2nd bar = Low > click "OK" on the bottom of the page > close this window and the Avast GUI > reboot your machine (if you have an XP, reboot twice).  Now see if things work.

SafeSurf

« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2010, 10:16:13 AM »
@ mrsgoodwin,

Please open your own thread in the Avast Free/Pro/Suite forum section as to not confuse the OP or helpers with this thread.  We will help you there and that is the appropriate place for your post.  You can copy and paste what you have written here in your first post.  Thank you very much for your understanding.  :)

Skowy

« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
okay the mailshield works [send / receive] really slow

but not the webshield
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 11:01:50 AM by Skowy »

SafeSurf

« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2010, 11:10:15 AM »
The snapshot shows it is on the default setting of Normal.  Did you lower it to the 2nd bar (Low)?  The reboot your machine twice?

Skowy

« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2010, 12:36:23 PM »
yes, i posted the image indicating confirmation of task to be done - it is set on the second bar as LOW - but unsuccessful

tech supp requested i do the following actions;

Please try to uncheck the option "Use code emulation" for both

i did this but same error occurs in browser -

yes, rebooted twice
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 01:27:46 PM by Skowy »

CharleyO

« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2010, 05:48:50 PM »

Hi SafeSurf & Skowy,

When I analyze Skowy's log, most things seem normal until I noticed certain entries near
the beginning of the log.
As examples, the 3 listed below would be normal entries for XP:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

In the log supplied, the same entries show as below:

C:\WINXP\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINXP\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINXP\system32\services.exe

There are at least 3 more similar entries all beginning with C:\WINXP which seems incorrect
to me.
I do not know why these entries are as they are in the log but it appears something has
changed them.

The other 2 things which are relatively minor are no firewall shows in the HJT log (XP firewall will
not show) and this entry:

O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0}
- (no file)
Unnecessary (deactivated) entry that can be fixed and is related to LinkScanner.

I hope this helps.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 05:53:52 PM by CharleyO »

mrsgoodwin

« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2010, 07:15:32 PM »
@ Safesurf

Sorry but I thought this was the correct thread AIS = Avast Internet Security.  Which is what I'm attempting to trial.

I'm not running the free version.  It's the full version in trial mode, which is free for 30 days.