Author Topic: [Resolved] CANT ACCESS INTERNET using avast AIS 5  (Read 61317 times)

Gargamel360

Re: CANT ACCESS INTERNET using avast Pro 5
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2010, 07:25:26 AM »
This be beyond my ken, I think.   Someone with more know-how is needed, perhaps someone to read one of you logs or some such detailed troubleshoot, or just to think of one of the likely many things I have not thought of yet.  

I will pass the buck, send someone a PM who can either help you better or find one who can.
Sorry for the headache.

Anyone else is free to try in the meantime, of course. :)

Skowy

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2010, 07:30:55 AM »
thanks for trying Gargamel360 - I submitted a support ticket 7 days ago marked emergency and no reply -

Anyway...Thanks for your time; i hope someone out here can help

Skowy

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2010, 08:52:34 AM »
This is the total rundown of the troubleshooting outcomes to date;

1.   I have removed all previous anti viruses prior to loading Avast on PC 
2.   I have a windows firewall and deactivated it - but that's not the issue
3.   the internet connection is working - ISP confirmed this and sent a technician to test it and it works – my laptop connects and no error when browsing
4.   I bought a brand new router and modem because i thought the old ones were broken –
5.   the only way i can surf the internet is via disabling the web shield
6.   The only way i can send / receive emails is via disabling the mail shield
7.   I have checked that “firefox” is not the issue – proxy settings are correct
8.   I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Avast application [AIS]
9.   I have inputted the correct license number because the customer number is compatible with my Laptop and my Laptop is working without error
The browser error: this is the error that i see when i attempt to browse via any browser namely fire fox but chrome and IE respond with the same error;
The connection was reset
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
*   The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
*   If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
*   If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to     access the Web.
Basically –
I have used the same set up program for my laptop and it work, but the PC doesn’t work unless i disable the web shield...
I have sent a support ticket to the technical team marked as “emergency” but they continue to ignore the issue and have NOT RESPONDED IN 7 DAYS really disappointing for what i considered a good company;

SafeSurf

Re: CANT ACCESS INTERNET using avast AIS
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2010, 10:36:23 AM »
The following is for the machine that is not working properly:

1. Have you tried resetting your firewall settings?
2. Please check to see if you have the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package installed on your machine, look in Add/Remove Programs to see if you have Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package listed.  If not, download the file (see below) and restart your machine. 

When folks are having troubles with Avast installs and similar it could also be a dependency problem. Make sure you have Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package installed and updated BEFORE you attempt to install Avast.  Actually this is good general advice anyway, for maximum compatibility and in order to avoid problems with applications written in Visual C++ it is always a good idea to have all the C++ redistributables installed and fully updated.  Many programs require them to function properly; one important example is ATI drivers.  It is often seen when the installs went bad or were unable to install the drivers because of either missing or not updated C++ Redistributable Package.

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=766a6af7-ec73-40ff-b072-9112bab119c2

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=2051a0c1-c9b5-4b0a-a8f5-770a549fd78c&displaylang=en

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=a7b7a05e-6de6-4d3a-a423-37bf0912db84

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=bd512d9e-43c8-4655-81bf-9350143d5867

If the above fails, the next step is submitting a memory dump file is needed for Avast to analyze what is going on.  This would be only for the machine that is NOT working (I understand your laptop is now working fine).  Remember to rename your file that you submit uniquely.

Here is additional information on how to invoke a memory dump file:  http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71.  Avast will analyze the information and report back to you in this thread or by email.  They do not work over the weekend, so there will be a delay.  I thank you very much as you have been very patient. 

Please go back to the FIRST post and edit/modify the title of the it from "Pro 5" to AIS.  Thank you.

Please let us know in the meantime if we can help you in anyway, and we will continue to provide you with support and help you.  Thank you.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2010, 11:13:05 AM »
By deafult avast! FW should auto allow it's own processes to connect but i am wondering if somehow your rules got changed. How do you have your FW set up ? You need to allow internet access to avast's webshield or none of your browsers will work(it's not enough to just allow FF). Can you give us a screenshot of your application rules ? Here is how mine looks like.

You can also turn on webshield, open up FF, try to browse some sites and check the in the FW logs to see if it's blocking anything.

Here is how it looks like on my machine when i block internet access to IE and try to brose some sites with it(don't have FF installed sorry):

SafeSurf

Re: CANT ACCESS INTERNET using avast AIS
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2010, 11:38:45 AM »
@ Skowy,

m416 gave you excellent suggestions regarding the firewall settings and asks some good questions for you to respond to.

I know we have asked you this in the past, but more information has come out as we talk to you more about your problems.  What other security programs (Firewall, Antivirus, security programs in general) do you currently have on the computer that does not work and in the past?  If it was in the past, how did you uninstall the software (the vendor's uninstaller tool or some other way)?  Thank you.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2010, 11:58:05 AM »
Hey i think it's best if he runs HijackThis and give us a list of installed programs:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/

Open HJT, go to Open The Misc Tools Section and then Open Uninstall Manager and Save List.
You will get a dialog to save uninstall_list.txt. Save it somewhere on your hdd and then attach it to your post here.

Skowy

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2010, 12:21:15 PM »
sorry for the delay -

the PC has been completely reformatted - new motherboard new modem and new wireless router; there are no previous antivirus applications on this PC except the current AIS -

what i don't understand is that the laptop works fine;

Yes i have Microsoft visual C++ 2008 installed

Skowy

Re: CANT ACCESS INTERNET using avast AIS 5
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2010, 12:24:25 PM »
i am trying to figure out how to post a screen shot so...?

Skowy

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2010, 12:38:30 PM »
i submitted a hijackthis file to the tech support 4 days ago and they haven't responded in 8 days they have only asked me to see if it work if when i disable the web shield - i replied saying yes, and that was 5 days ago; the forum has as much info now as the support team had 5 days ago - with a few exceptions the forum now has more info until they respond; i am unsure if i should post a hijackthis file to a forum? i will need some advice on this outcome before proceeding -

i am unsure what a memory dump would achieve if when the support team is AWOL  >:(

YoKenny

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2010, 12:40:50 PM »
I like
MWSnap is a small yet powerful Windows program for snapping (capturing) images from selected parts of the screen
http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html

Then use Additional Options...

Skowy

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2010, 01:01:45 PM »
is this it?

i download the 3 files?

Current stable version: 3.00.0.74, 06 Jul 2002
Platform: any 32-bit Windows (including XP)
Download:
  v.3.00 as Setup (recommended): site 1, site 2 (643 KB)
  v.3.00 as ZIP file: site 1, site 2 (601 KB)  Be sure to unpack internal "Lang" subfolder!
  Up-to-date languages pack: MWSnapLang.zip (123 KB, 16 Mar 2003)

Skowy

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2010, 01:12:34 PM »
okay what do you do now the screen shot is done how do i load it to the post?

Skowy

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2010, 01:50:53 PM »
In answer to a previous question regarding the setup tool install -

I took the setup app from the laptop and downloaded to a flash drive and uninstalled the previous AIS on the PC and transfered the laptop AIS setup app to PC i then loaded it and opened it and inserted the same license as on laptop - "it didnt work" same error"

i need sleep now - 

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2010, 02:20:15 PM »
okay what do you do now the screen shot is done how do i load it to the post?

- When you click the Reply button, there is an Additional Options link, this expands the options to attach a file, that can be an image file or a text file (.log or .txt). Also see How to post an Image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security