Author Topic: Samples missed by avast (VirusTotal links only!)  (Read 414141 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Samples missed by avast (VirusTotal links only!)
« Reply #180 on: November 12, 2010, 10:06:35 PM »
It is a total waste of time
Don't lose yours then :)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #181 on: November 12, 2010, 10:08:43 PM »
This kind of topic is useless.
Sorry Omid, but does this make your suggestion also useless? I don't think so...

avast! need more way for collecting malwares, a web-interface is essential, something that does not cost much for avast because they already have resource for that (A public FTP Folder with enough hosting, bandwidth etc) and just need time and a technical team work on that a few days. I don't want post link to other vendors website because some people don't like, if not, I could post some example ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #182 on: November 12, 2010, 10:17:23 PM »
It is a total waste of time
Don't lose yours then :)

No it is a total waste of time posting the VT results as I have stated quite clearly and not as you have taken an extract of my comments and posted it in isolation.

Quote from: DavidR
It is a total waste of time, avast will always be trying to improve detections. It is the nature of the beast that AVs will always be playing catchup. This is why the generic, algorithmic, behavioural and heuristic signatures/rules were introduced to help improve over just signature based detection.

I'm not the one wasting time posting VT results.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #183 on: November 12, 2010, 10:53:57 PM »
I'm not the one wasting time posting VT results.
Just let the thread there. Don't post. Don't read. Don't waste your time. But don't say a thread that I have opened with the best intention and with 180+ posts is a waste of time. It's a matter of personal respect to the one who opened the thread.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #184 on: November 12, 2010, 11:50:15 PM »
The number of posts or who started it or respect for who started it has nothing to do with how useful or useless or a waste of time a topic is. That is down to clear hard facts, simply posting the VT results isn't going to help detections, samples are.

Why if it isn't a waste of time have several of the virus labs team said it doesn't help them. So to that end it has to be a waste of time and as I keep banging one if you don't bother to update your posts when a missed sample is added then it is totally unbalanced. So those visiting the forum get a totally unbalanced view about avast missing samples when there are no subsequent updates when they are added.

So sorry, if I decline your autonomous command not to read, post or waste my time. That is my right to waste my time as it is yours ;D

No one has said anything about your best intentions, that isn't in doubt, just the fact that it isn't meeting your intention.

As my first thread get hijacked and closed without even warning me :P, I'm starting a new one trying to help avast improving detection if possible.
<snip>
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #185 on: November 13, 2010, 04:22:49 AM »
Are you submitting the samples to avast?
If not, you're losing your time posting the links...

Sure Tech, Everything I post here is sent to Avast (Along with as many others that aren't detecting them as possible)
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • KISS Army
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 05:09:17 AM by Marc57 »

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • KISS Army

iRonzel

« Reply #189 on: November 14, 2010, 05:57:40 PM »
Is possible that a trojan can be disguised as a Screen Saver file extension?

http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=a0aa12cdd31154dec56880f57577c316d154945f74dc4e0cceeaba36e5b7cb4d-1289748843

The file was submmited to avast!