Author Topic: avast! Pro 5 upgrade problem  (Read 6766 times)

cad

avast! Pro 5 upgrade problem
« on: January 30, 2010, 05:17:57 PM »
I just tried to install the 5 Pro upgrade on two PCs and both gave the same 'spawning' error when I ran the EXE file.

My Home version upgrade (at home!) went AOK, so I'm wondering what might be the problem?  Is this a known issue, and what is the fix?

One of the PCs is a Dell running XP Pro, the other is a Dell laptop running Vista.

Thanks in advance for any help!
--
BFN
Cad

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: avast! Pro 5 upgrade problem
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 05:37:40 PM »
Um...what do you mean by the 5 Pro upgrade?
Can you give us more details about the Pro licence key you had purchased?
For how many computers is that licence key for?

cad

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 08:56:09 PM »
Sure.

By 'the 5 Pro upgrade,' I mean the Professional edition upgrade downloaded from the "Download new Pro Antivirus" button on this page: http://www.avast.com/en-gb/lp-upgrade-4-5-paid

We (as in my local bridge club) purchased a 3-year licence for two copies of avast! 4 Pro, on 26 April 2009.
The element5 order number was 270861755, if that helps; and it is registered to "Carlton Bridge Club Ltd."
Obviously (?) I'm not going to post the actual licence key in a public forum! ;)

(Detailed enough for ya?  Good! ;D)

So back at the plot: what does 'spawning error' mean?  This is what shows in the Stop message box when I run the EXE, on both computers.  Any clues about what's wrong?

(PS: The EXE was downloaded separately from the page above on each computer, so it isn't a corrupted download file problem, as far as I can see?)

Thanks again.
--
BFN
CAD

cad

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 10:13:16 PM »
I realise there's a LOT of traffic in this topic right now, but I had hoped someone might have come up with an answer to my seemingly simple question by now?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this mysterious 'spawning' error.
--
BFN
CAD

waking

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 02:45:13 AM »
what does 'spawning error' mean?  This is what shows in the Stop message box when I run the EXE, on both computers. 

Can you get a screen snapshot of the message box and attach it to a message here?

cazoza

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 05:54:55 AM »
Well, i think it has to do with the compilation of Avast during installation, some spawning errors occurs when in Visual Studio you try to compile with C++ , and you dont have the compiler installed. Maybe, there is something missing on your systems, maybe .Net framework update, a Visual Studio update. Because Avast installs an update for Visual Studio Redistributable, called Vcredist x86, or something like that. Maybe you need to download the package befor installing Avast 5, from microsoft update, or enable that feature in your win xp, so you can have all your windows enviroment up to date.

Well, i think is that, hope this info can help you pal. take care.

cad

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 08:12:14 PM »
Can you get a screen snapshot of the message box and attach it to a message here?

I should be able to do that when I'm next in the club on Friday.

I'll also take a look at cazoza's suggestion.

Thanks in the meantime!
--
BFN
CAD

cad

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 04:03:58 AM »
Weirdly, I tried the upgrade again tonight on our main PC and it worked AOK. ???
I also belatedly discovered that that PC only has 512MB of RAM. :o
[Note to self: up the memory in that box to something sensible ASAP!!!]

So it is now happily running avast! 5.0, and the licence file upgrade also worked just great.

I'll try the laptop again (which I think has 2GB of RAM) when I have time, but I'm still puzzled about the spawning error message.  >shrug< Oh well, we move on.

Thanks again for all your helpful suggestions.
--
BFN
CAD

zakiks

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 10:46:17 PM »
I dont know how to get license file for avast 5.0.776???
I want to upgrade my avas!!!
Please halp me!!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 11:02:00 PM »
Have you paid for an avast 5.0 Pro license and where ?
If so then you should have received an email with a link to get your license.

What version of avast do you have right now avast 4.8 or 5.0.677 (free or pro) is the latest.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security