Author Topic: Can you temporarily disable AvastSVC.exe  (Read 17728 times)

Ildamos

Can you temporarily disable AvastSVC.exe
« on: September 21, 2010, 05:42:53 PM »

Hello I am making a guide on how to disable Avast 5.0 temporarily. You guys might be wondering who in his right mind would want to do this but there are gamers out there with low-end systems. (I was one myself; that's why I moved away from AVG because Avast 4.0 offered me with a tweakability that AVG didn't have.)

Disabling the Self-Defense module and ending the AvastSVC.exe process is not a help --- the process restarts after a few seconds (though I've noticed that the restarted process has a smaller memory consumption after doing this).

Any solutions to this?

(Awesome job with Avast 5.0 by the way. Aside from the "Silent/Gaming Mode" you guys have conveniently clumped all real-time processes in the new shields control menu, making it easier for us gamers. VERY happy with this.)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Can you temporarily disable AvastSVC.exe
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 05:45:51 PM »
Don't kill the process from Task manager, but rather use the correct "Stop" command from Control Panel / Administrative tools / Services. In that case, it won't be restarted - and you even don't have to disable the self-defense, you will be asked by avast! whether the stop request is legitimate.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 06:20:14 PM »
I don't think I have ever come across a gamer with a low end system before ;D

As to run the current must have games, etc. you couldn't hope to run them on a low end system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 06:27:32 PM »
+1 on DavidR post ;D, adding that most people posting about that, asking how to disable Avast etc...have reasons that they obviously don't state here. A guide :D ...what's next, "how to infect your system painlessly" ? ...funny too as it's often new members asking for this kind of crap.

lol >>> http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=38227
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 06:32:58 PM by Logos »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 06:51:12 PM »
 This person has two separate post's going, in one he state's he's using avast 4.8 and here he's saying avast 5, what the! if you need to turn of your av off to save about 15meg of ram i think you need to upgrade you computer if your so into gaming.  ::)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 07:05:46 PM »
if you need to turn of your av off to save about 15meg of ram i think you need to upgrade you computer if your so into gaming.  ::)

a big +1 to this statement..!! ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 07:09:33 PM »
This person has two separate post's going, in one he state's he's using avast 4.8 and here he's saying avast 5, what the! if you need to turn of your av off to save about 15meg of ram i think you need to upgrade you computer if your so into gaming.  ::)

Often happens when they don't like the answers given in the original topic, start another.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Ildamos

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 09:11:24 PM »

First off thanks to Igor for the reply:

Don't kill the process from Task manager, but rather use the correct "Stop" command from Control Panel / Administrative tools / Services.

Second, apologies for the confusion but I didn't mean my series of post to come off as

Often happens when they don't like the answers given in the original topic, start another.

Avast 4.0's processes didn't recreate themselves every time you kill them. Hence this second query.

Third,

I don't think I have ever come across a gamer with a low end system before

Poor ones. I still remember the time I had a GeForce 4 and a 512mb system. The post are for those who still can't afford a mid-end system. There are lots of players out there who simply don't have the money to upgrade. 

I didn't expect my posts to be interpreted this way.

Igor's reply though makes it clear the whole process is not worth it (I was looking for a quick procedure where you can easily re-enable everything after gaming). Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 09:21:58 PM »
Try writtng  a batch file.

net stop service nameX, net start service nameX, etc.

Now I don't know if that would work in the same way as Igor describes given it is an external process it may bump into the self-defence module.

More and more AVs have self-defence as there are more and more variants of malware trying to kill the AV and avast has to try to protect the majority of users.