Author Topic: 50%+ CPU usage for AvastSvc.exe when hovering over files in Windows Explorer  (Read 2907 times)

cashonly

I'm on Avast 5.0.507 running Windows XP SP3

When I hover over files in Windows Explorer, Task Manager shows 50%+ CPU usage for AvastSvc.exe

If I leave my mouse there, it goes back down to zero.  If I move it to hover over another file, it spikes back up for a few seconds, then goes back down to zero.

It also happens when I select a file.

Now, if I select say 20 files, and right click, then I might as well go get a cup of coffee before I get a rt-clk pop-up menu and AvastSvc.exe is cranking away at 60-80% CPU.

What can I do to fix this???

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Hi cashonly, you need to update to the latest 5.0.677 first as your on a fairly old version and see if this fixes your problem.

Hermite15

it might not be just a matter of version but also a matter of what settings the OP's got for the file system shield :D

cashonly

OK,

I upgraded to 5.0.677 and am still having a problem.

This is what I do...
I reboot my PC and open task manager... everything is fine
I open Windows Explorer... everything is fine
I click on the '+' for My Computer... everything is fine
I click on the '+' for C Drive... everything is fine
I click on a folder in the C Drive... The AvastSvc process is bouncing around between 30-50% and pretty much stays there.
I select about 20 files and right click... The AvastSvc process is bouncing around between 65-85% and it's taking 20-40 seconds showing the hourglass before rt-click menu to pops up.

What can I do to fix this?
I have all real-time shields enabled.

Thx,

Cash

cashonly

OK,

Just turned off all shields and that stopped it, now need to figure out which shields cause probs

cashonly

OK,  It looks like it was the "Scan Documents when opening" setting that was the problem.
I unchecked it and things work fine.

So, the question is how do I get that feature to work without grinding my system to a halt?

And why does it do it when I just click on the directory or a file or group of files without even opening them?

YoKenny

How much RAM does the system have ???

cashonly

I have 4GB of RAM on a Quad-Core Intel machine