Author Topic: Do you need to pay to be protected on Internet?  (Read 22294 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Do you need to pay to be protected on Internet?
« on: September 22, 2010, 09:44:43 PM »
Janice Chaffin, president of Symantec's consumer business unit, says: "Freeware vendors have created a false perception that free, basic security is enough to protect you from today's online threats. The reality is, free is not enough. It's like wearing a light windbreaker in a snowstorm."

A USA TODAY survey of 16 anti-virus companies shows that no-cost anti-virus programs generally lack important features such as a firewall, website health checks, automatic updates and customer support. Meanwhile, full, subscription AV suites continue to get more powerful each year.

(...)

The common denominator: Each promotion — whether it be for a free basic version or free trial period or a free infection scan — seeks to convert users to a paid subscription.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/computersecurity/2010-09-22-antivirus22_CV_N.htm

What do you think? Do you need to pay to be protected on Internet?
The best things in life are free.

Gargamel360

Re: Do you need to pay to be protected on Internet?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 10:10:16 PM »
What do you think? Do you need to pay to be protected on Internet?

In a word, no.

Janice Chaffin, president of Symantec's consumer business unit, says: "Freeware vendors have created a false perception that free, basic security is enough to protect you from today's online threats. The reality is, free is not enough. It's like wearing a light windbreaker in a snowstorm."

The idea that a paid suite can 100% protect is just as naive as thinking a free program can. 
S.S.D.D. from this company, and it must work,
as they keep growing and buying, ad infinitum

Counterpoint, though slightly off-topic..... time is money.  I can assemble something as good or better than a paid security suite from assorted free programs.  But every separate program becomes an additional thing to troubleshoot should something go wrong, a separate company to contact for answers.

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 10:15:26 PM »
to the question of this thread: ...of course not, even then it doesn't mean that I'm promoting free software, which I don't btw ;D
 Just mentioning that paid software seems often bloated with what I call "non-features"...stuff meant to make the customer feel better about the product and his daily browsing :D ... anti-phishing anti-fraud anti-whatever buttons are legions in paid solutions.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 10:22:21 PM »
Hi Tech,

It depends if one knows how to protect oneself. If this is over your head then a commercial all-in-one solution pack could be an option, just like when you cannot do it yourself, you have to hire someone to do it for you, and that will cost you money.
A combination of some free programs can deliver a free all-in-av-solution with which you can even be BETTER protected, for instance a combination of Avast, Microsoft Security Essentials (or M.B.A.M. or S.A.S) and Immunet Protect are free and for the home user that does a bit of surfing and reads mail all the protection one needs. Some can add in-browser protection as well as NoScript and RequestPolicy for the Mozilla browser or the easier solution for Google Chrome: NotScript extension, NOREF extension (and optional Better Pop-up Blocker, Flash Blocker & Click & Clean), OK and have a FW installed, and fully patch and upgrade allways, both OS and third party programs,

polonus

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 10:31:51 PM »
Thanks for the opinions. Let's wait if more users post also.

and have a FW installed
Sure.

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 10:38:06 PM »
If it is from Symantec's consumer business unit then you can bet it is only to promote Symantec's products.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 10:44:20 PM »
The reality is, free is not enough.
But not all of the protection software is given for free.
Isn't the Symantec right regarding to this?

Gargamel360

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 10:54:06 PM »

Pardon, but are you really Tech? 

These questions seem odd coming from possibly this forums biggest freeware supporter. ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »
These questions seem odd coming from possibly this forums biggest freeware supporter. ;)
avast provides free antivirus for sure. But Symantec guy is saying that this is not enough. This is basic protection.
So, you need something more. And it could be not free...

YoKenny

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 11:04:34 PM »

Tech needs to go back and read the Blog:
Can you Trust Free Anti-Virus?
http://blog.avast.com/2009/08/04/can-you-trust-free-anti-virus

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 11:11:25 PM »
Tech needs to go back and read the Blog:
Can you Trust Free Anti-Virus?
http://blog.avast.com/2009/08/04/can-you-trust-free-anti-virus
Yokenny needs to read the Symantec declaration or better the full article linked at the first post ;D
By the way, I've read both articles of Vince (avast CEO) in the blog yesterday :)

Hermite15

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 11:23:31 PM »

yeah, I'm wondering too... may be his account has been hijacked or something ???

... ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 11:35:24 PM »
No, it's me... believe :)
I'm discussing this Symantec guy declaration:

"Freeware vendors have created a false perception that free, basic security is enough to protect you from today's online threats. The reality is, free is not enough. It's like wearing a light windbreaker in a snowstorm."
He's not saying that free antivirus is worse than paid or that free antivirus does not protect you as well as the paid ones.
He's saying that basic free security is not enough.
Isn't he right?

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 11:38:57 PM »
Hi Tech,

Well reality is a strange animal. Depends how you look at the issue. What is full protection, it is non-existent in this world, best protection you can get is when you know how to protect yourself decently. What is the best way to do that? - using layered protection. Some rather have avast free than TrendMicro's paid version. If you know how to bastle a combination of layered protection as I sketched above, who needs the paid all-in-one bloatware av solutions. Well those that click after abything that is clickable, have no notice of what Internet security is about, rely fully on an automated process of  paid protection solutions to do that for them, and what will be the end result they will remain vulnerable as hell, because they do not know what to do with the applications, do not know what to do with the settings, do not know about what threats they are up against, etc. etc. So they pay and get fooled. This makes it a complete different discussion. AV-protection has to be educated and users have to grow into the habit and then it does not cost much to be nearly fully protected....
When I have been to this forum here, did a couple of malware cleaning routines myself, have read an awful lot from security savvy people how to protect I can make a complete full layered anti-malware protection and that won't cost me a Eurocent. I experienced what Norton brought me when they launched the wrong certifications to go with their scanning, it was a complete disaster and enough for people to never want to use the Symantec product(s) again. McAfee will block everything the admin sees as undesirable and therefore can be rather user-unfriendly, so I am completely protected with my combination of free programs and free tools: a free firewall, avast free, the free version of MBAM or SAS (or both as on-demands), SpywareBlaster, Windows Defender, in-browser security extensions, the only suspicious things I saw in recent years were some ad-tracking cookies, and those I cleanse at closing the computer with some Cleansing Programs, by the way these are also free,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 11:40:42 PM »

Total bulls**t, as YoKenny's image depicts. It would only be true if you couldn't get an all free solution in individual components, which is easily achievable. It is Symantec/Norton that are peddling a false perception that the only way to be protected is to pay.

Avast has a great free anti-virus solution and there are many free firewalls that are more than capable, there are many such free security applications. The only issue is the user has to choose which is best for them and some are lazy and get a suite and for the most part that means paying.

All they are out to do is scare people into buying Symantec/Norton Suite, this is pure marketing BS to try and steer people away from free solutions and hopefully to them.

@ Tech
I suggest you refresh your memory with the Blog article by Vince about free products.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 11:42:41 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security