Author Topic: Do you need to pay to be protected on Internet?  (Read 22364 times)

Gargamel360

Re: Do you need to pay to be protected on Internet?
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2010, 06:24:03 AM »
Avast! is the only one I know of that offers the same features in it's free version as in the paid one. The only thing the paid AV gives is an on demand sandbox.

Wait a minute, I don't have a firewall???  I thought I got a firewall too!! ;D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 06:32:15 AM by Gargamel360 »

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2010, 06:56:14 AM »
Avast is the best freeware AV but you need to mix Avast with other freewares like ThreatFire etc to make your computer have optimal level of protection.

Hermite15

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2010, 10:15:38 AM »
As far as just AV programs go, Avast! is the only one I know of that offers the same features in it's free version as in the paid one. The only thing the paid AV gives is an on demand sandbox.

wow, we're talking about the same Avast right? ;D

YoKenny

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2010, 03:10:45 PM »
Avast! is the only one I know of that offers the same features in it's free version as in the paid one. The only thing the paid AV gives is an on demand sandbox.

A firewall is included in avast! Internet Security
http://www.avast.com/security-software-home-office

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2010, 03:21:26 PM »
Here's an interesting one for you, http://www.avast.com/pr-avast-free-antivirus-is-a-suite-performer.

PRAGUE, Czech Republic, September 21, 2010 - avast! Free Antivirus was a top performer in the Dennis Technology Labs test sponsored by Symantec, outscoring a number of paid-for applications.

Avast! Free Antivirus outscored the paid-for internet security suites from Bit-Defender, McAfee, and Trend-Micro. In addition, avast! topped the below-average performance of free programs from AVG, Avira, and Microsoft Security Essentials.

Get that, in a test sponsored by Symantec :P
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2010, 05:28:22 PM »
Trend Micro
Why not? I don't have much experience on it, but has good detection rates...

It monitors every action by every program and alerts you to them unless the application is whitelisted.
Very good.

Other vendors such as Avira and AVG do not give all their AV scanning features in the free versions so you are getting what the Symantec person says is "free basic protection" and paid AV's are better than those offerings.
Exactly. That seems correct under this point of view.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2010, 05:39:29 PM »
Get that, in a test sponsored by Symantec :P
I haven't noticed that. Thanks David, very good.

13thSlayer

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2010, 05:53:47 PM »

Get a free firewall like Online Armor, and let that be.

Dch48

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »

NO---you get the firewall with Avast! Internet Security. With Avast! anti-virus pro, you only get the sandbox as an additional feature. the rest of the AV is the same as the free version.

Hermite15

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2010, 09:26:09 PM »
hey, you never mentioned the "pro" version in your post, you just said the paid one

As far as just AV programs go, Avast! is the only one I know of that offers the same features in it's free version as in the paid one.

...and yes we know that the AV part is common to the three versions.

Dch48

« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2010, 09:29:55 PM »
hey, you never mentioned the "pro" version in your post, you just said the paid one

As far as just AV programs go, Avast! is the only one I know of that offers the same features in it's free version as in the paid one.

...and yes we know that the AV part is common to the three versions.
I prefaced it by saying "As far as just AV programs go" the just means AV by itself and not part of a suite. I thought I was being perfectly clear.

Hermite15

« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2010, 09:39:28 PM »
whatever you wanted to say :D >>> wonder why you mentioned the sandbox and forgot the rest then, but never mind, that's not interesting.

ps: unless you consider the sandbox an AV tool, which is true, but I doubt that you saw that far...oh, you forgot the AV command line, only available in pro ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2010, 10:26:11 PM »
In fact, sandbox is a way to achieve higher protection, specially if it was automatic (and not on demand).
Then we can't say the protection level is the same in the free and pro versions of avast.
Again, back to the topic, the Symantec guy was right in avast case, unfortunately.

Dch48

« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2010, 10:32:17 PM »
whatever you wanted to say :D >>> wonder why you mentioned the sandbox and forgot the rest then, but never mind, that's not interesting.

ps: unless you consider the sandbox an AV tool, which is true, but I doubt that you saw that far...oh, you forgot the AV command line, only available in pro ;D
There is no "rest" other than more frequent updates which IMO, are not needed since there are usually only 2 updates released per day and the free version keeps up with that very well.

Of course the sandbox can be an AV tool. That was not overlooked at all but it is not the same as AVG and Avira leaving out scanning modules entirely in their free versions which Avast! does not do.

Everything I said was intended to inform the OP, not people here who already know what Avast! does.

@Tech, check reviews on TrendMicro. It used to be very highly thought of, but not so much any more.

Dch48

« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2010, 10:35:09 PM »
In fact, sandbox is a way to achieve higher protection, specially if it was automatic (and not on demand).
Then we can't say the protection level is the same in the free and pro versions of avast.
Again, back to the topic, the Symantec guy was right in avast case, unfortunately.
Maybe he wasn't. I doubt if he was referring to sandboxing capability since Norton does not have that  ;D.