Author Topic: Can't update  (Read 3623 times)

1dc

Can't update
« on: September 23, 2010, 09:54:46 AM »
Hello all,

I downloaded the 5.0 free version and get the following message when I try to update.

Cannot connect to download778.avast.com  (208-43-157-80)

I'm using Ashampoo with all of the firewall settings set to stop.

Under updates in Avast I have the following settings.

Engine and Virus definitions  Automatic update

Program  Automatic

Update parameters  I only connect to the internet using a dial up modem.

Proxy settings  Direct connection (no proxy)

Windows XP SP3

There are no other active security applications running

Browser Firefox 3.6
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 10:02:14 AM by 1dc »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Can't update
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 10:03:30 AM »
remove ashampo and use Outpost free

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=64121.0

1dc

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 10:06:33 AM »
Hi Pondus,

I appreciate the quick reply.

Is there a complication with Ashampoo?

Just for the record, I uninstalled the firewall entirely, and disable the Windows firewall as well, and still couldn't connect to the server.

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 10:08:52 AM »
Hello 1dc and welcome to the forum.  :)

1.   What version of Avast did you install?  5.0.677? 
2.   What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including antivirus (AV), firewall, and other security programs?  If they were in the past, how did you remove them (the vendor's uninstaller's tool or another way)?

To let you know, there have been other users on the forum that have reported conflicts using Ashampoo FW and Avast.  Once this FW was uninstalled Avast worked properly.  If you want to try it with your FW, make sure Avast is not being blocked by the FW, but it is strongly recommended that you uninstall it and replace it with a different FW.

Update parameters  I only connect to the internet using a dial up modem.
Proxy settings  Direct connection (no proxy)
Change your Settings > Update Parameters > click "I only connect using dial-up modem" > Proxy settings...enter the information needed.

Let us know how this works.  Thank you.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 10:26:19 AM »
Is there a complication with Ashampoo?
click the link in my reply and read the tread, see reply #6

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 10:30:25 AM »
Other FW's that work well with Avast are Online Armor http://www.online-armor.com/downloads.php, Outpost (already mentioned above), Comodo (without the antivirus) http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/firewall.php or upgrading to Avast Internet Security (AIS). 

1dc

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 10:38:01 AM »

It looks like I'm going to go with outpost free.  I just uninstalled Ashampoo and now I'm updating.

I had uninstalled it previously just to make sure that it wasn't the problem, and couldn't update.  But I had been using the default settings at the time with Avast.  It looks like it is working with my current settings now.

Thank you both for your help.  I will keep this site bookmarked for any future problems.

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: Can't update
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 09:14:59 AM »
1dc,

I'm glad things worked out for you.  :D

If or when you feel that your issue is now resolved/fixed, please go back to the first open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed. 

Feel free to come back any time you need help, to learn something new, or just to ask questions.  We are here 24/7 for your convenience.  Thank you for allowing us to assist you.