Author Topic: Can't get Avast 5 to install on Windows XP Home Edition  (Read 5982 times)

garnbugby

Can't get Avast 5 to install on Windows XP Home Edition
« on: September 24, 2010, 08:29:19 PM »
My aunt's PC was left to her older kids to run over the internet with no anti-virus software and is now totally infected. I have run Malwarebytes, Superantispyware and Glary Utilities to clean her system and that has done a good job. I installed Avast 5 free and when I try to run it I get this pop-up: "D:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastUI.exe This application has failed to start because the application is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

I have uninstalled Avast and tried reinstalling it but none of that works. The OS system is Windows XP Home Edition. Please help...

-Garn

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Can't get Avast 5 to install on Windows XP Home Edition
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 08:42:02 PM »
D:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastUI.exe
are you installing it on D:\ ?......  try C:\

garnbugby

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 09:57:55 PM »
I have tried loading Avast on drive C but it still doesn't run. Gives the same prompt but for drive C. The reason I put it on drive D was because whoever got on my Aunt's computer partitioned out her system into 3 drives. Why? I have no idea? But most of my Aunt's programs are on the D drive.

-Garn

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 10:13:19 PM »
not 100% sure but i think you need to install it on the same partition as the OS for it to work.....

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 10:44:41 PM »
No it can be installed on a different partition, but the registry is in the C:\ drive (or where the OS is installed). So given that the registry entries will be on C:\ it it really of little point in installing it on D:\ or any other partition. This is even more the case with avast5 as some of the information, etc. is stored on the C:\documents and settings or c:\Programdata folders depending on your OS.

I used to install programs on a different partition but if there is a problem on C:\ and you have to reinstall the OS the programs being installed on a different partition won't work as there will be no associated registry entries. So there really is little point in doing this as it doesn't achieve anything.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

garnbugby

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 11:29:22 PM »
In looking closer at her system I can see that they set up the C drive as a backup drive and the D drive as the main drive that has the OS system, program files and all on it. They set up a third drive, drive E but it is empty. Could it be that there is still a hidden virus on the system that is stopping Avast from executing?

-Garn

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 12:07:52 AM »
Could it be that there is still a hidden virus on the system that is stopping Avast from executing?

Follow this guide from Essexboy and post the log`s
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

To avoid using 20 post with copy and paste you have to attach the log`s
Lower left corner: Additional Options > Attach ( OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt.)