Author Topic: cannot send or receive e-mail since 5.0 upgrade  (Read 7625 times)

bkccorp

cannot send or receive e-mail since 5.0 upgrade
« on: August 31, 2010, 09:08:54 PM »
Cannot send or receive email (via Mozilla Thunderbird 3.1.2) since upgrading from 4.8 to 5.0 (free version). All server settings verified. Disabling Mail Shield restores functionality. Please advise.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: cannot send or receive e-mail since 5.0 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 09:19:26 PM »
We will need more information ?

What is the full text of the error ?
Are you using SSL/TLS (secure) email ?

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and check for new email, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bkccorp

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 12:55:19 AM »
Thunderbird log reads CONNECTION TO SERVER POP.JUNO.COM TIMED OUT.

No SSL / TLS security.

Standard Windows XP firewall; verified avast access.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 01:09:07 AM »
The windows XP firewall has zero outbound protection, so shouldn't be an issue (but not good for additional firewall protection).

Were you trying to send an email with a large attachment at any of those times ?

What are the settings in the avastUI, Real-time Shields, Mail Shield, Expert Settings, SSL Accounts for the Juno account ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bkccorp

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 10:57:26 AM »
Cannot send or receive, attachments or not.

All settings default as downloaded. Again, Thunderbird works perfectly when Mail Shield deactivated. Those settings as follows --

Scan inbound messages -- YES
Scan outbound messages -- YES
Scan inbound mail (pop3, imap4) -- YES
Scan outbound mail (smtp) -- YES
Scan newsgroup messages (nntp) -- YES
Mark in subject of mail containing a virus -- YES
Mark in subject of suspicious mail -- YES
Check white spaces sequence in name of attachment (20) -- YES
Attachment check (content type / name) -- YES
SSL accounts -- NONE
Actions -- MOVE TO CHEST< DELETE
PACKERS -- ALL
Sensitivity -- NORMAL
Report file -- GENERATE

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 03:59:15 PM »
Yes, but the question was about the settings in avast Mail Shield and that remains unanswered and it is this information that may reveal why.

<snip>
What are the settings in the avastUI, Real-time Shields, Mail Shield, Expert Settings, SSL Accounts for the Juno account ?

The SSL Accounts part holds information on all accounts, SSL or otherwise and shows the settings that will be used for that account, basically these settings should match your thunderbird settings for Protocol, Port and Encryption.

If they match try deleting all the entries in the avast Mail Shield, SSL Accounts section.

GaryMugford

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 06:30:51 PM »
I can verify that the mail-stopping issue is affecting Eudora running under WinXPSP3 also. The failure to connect message coming from the ISP is consistent as of today. If Mail Shield is active, the mail doesn't get through. It applies to each of (together or separately), incoming and outgoing. It has been getting intermittently worse over the last little while, concurrent with the last update to v5. The Avast link was found in conversation with the ISP, who reported no current or ongoing mail server issues with my particular mail-server.

Further, although I have Avast setup to check for updates every two hours, I noticed no definitions update since Aug. 28. I manually forced an update check and am now operational to Sept 1. The mail-blocking issue remained after the update. The machine has been continuously on since Aug 27 in the early afternoon. (I reboot once a week). Also, ZoneAlarm has all four checks for all Avast items, including update. I do not believe that ZoneAlarm is involved.

Lastly, when loading GMail this morning in Firefox, I got the message that some of the services could not be loaded.

It is very, very difficult to crab about a free product. But a quick resolution to this issue, which seems to have generated at least six entries in the last couple of days here in this forum, I have to seriously consider my continued use of Avast.

[EDIT] I am not using SSL, simple password confirmation for this account.

GM
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 06:33:58 PM by GaryMugford »

mrgigabyte

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 10:06:35 PM »
i am not having any problems i use Thunderbird

bkccorp

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 07:26:18 PM »
There are no listings under SSL ACCOUNTS. My understanding is that none would exist because 1.) this account is unencrypted, and 2.) I have been unable to either send or receive with the mail shield on.

Juno offers no advice other than to confirm default port settings of 110 inbound and 25 outbound. At this point, because everything works perfectly with the mail shield off, I'm wondering if the port settings require alteration to work with the shield in place?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 08:34:32 PM »
Well in theory accounts that aren't encrypted don't need an entry in the SSL Accounts section. Then my image goes against that theory as none of may accounts require a secure connection(SSL/TLS encryption), yet they are listed.

Unfortunately I know even less about Juno support email account settings. It isn't so much the ports but if they have encryption (SSL enabled) and that would normally throw up an error other than the thunderbird time-out error.

I'm at a loss as to what else to suggest as I don't use thunderbird either.

bkccorp

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 07:55:17 PM »
Turned off WEB SHIELD, and was able to receive email. Turned WEB SHIELD back on, and can still receive. Now have an entry for juno.com (protocol pop3, encryption = NONE) under SSL accounts in MAIL SHIELD. Tried same for outbound mail; still unsuccessful. Will keep experimenting and advise.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 08:33:45 PM »
Well since the web shield would have nothing to do with standard 'email' you must be using a web-based email, e.g. one viewed through your browser (not thunderbird), is this correct ?

bkccorp

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 08:38:43 PM »
No, not using any form of web mail. Strictly Thunderbird. I understand the web scanner doesn't relate specifically to email, but assume it does relate to internet access. As the mail originates on a Juno server, it's certainly interrelated. Anyway, once the log entry was made, I could turn off the web scanner and receive mail with no further issues. My only "fix" thus far for sending mail has been to turn off the outbound scanner permanently. I look forward to an update that will correct this.

Thanks for all your help!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 09:14:09 PM »
The web shield only relates to browsing, particularly http protocol and port 80 traffic, so it doesn't monitor any other protocols or ports, so shouldn't have any impact at all on standard email protocols and ports.

It doesn't matter where the email originates, Juno or other email server, it is how it is downloaded, via your browser or via an email program like thunderbird, etc. and what ports and protocols are used.

If it isn't using the http protocol over port 80 the web shield isn't monitoring it, so I can't see how it can be connected, I can only conclude some happy coincidence in stopping the web shield.