Author Topic: "...not a valid avast! license file" error message when trying to insert key  (Read 9544 times)

Guitargold

I recently upgraded to Internet security (actually I just wanted to send avast some money; for my uses the free version worked perfectly fine; now I've opened the can of worms), and when I try to insert the license key provided I get the above mentioned error message.  I tried removing and the redownloading the license, but same response.  I use XP pro OS, Comodo firewall, Windows Defender.  Any help/suggestions much appreciated.   8)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
What version of avast did you previously have installed, 4.8 home or 5.0 free ?

Did you install AIS over the top of the existing installation of avast home/free or did you do a clean install ?

How are you trying to insert the key ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

I do not think you can use Comodo with avast! Internet security as using 2 software firewalls will confict.   

Guitargold

Thanks for the assistance, folks.  DavidR, I had the 4.8 (I think: blue ball icon) free; I did uninstall the old version before installing the new version, even restarted computer between.  I tried manually inserting key, and also tried following instructions from site and just clicked on license file to 'automatically insert into the program,' but no luck.

YoKenny, I turned Avast's firewall off; I only want it's anti-virus service (which by the way, how is the firewall working if it won't accept the license key????). 

Man, you folks are speedy.  Thanks for the quick responses.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
1. How are you trying to insert the key as you don't actually have to insert the key in avast5 as it uses a License 'File' ?

- Avast! Internet Security Quick Start Guide http://files.avast.com/files/documentation/quick-start-guide-is-en-ww.pdf. This will have instructions on how to register (insert the key).

- Check out these knowledge-base articles for the version you have:
- Inserting the license key into: avast! Free Antivirus, avast! Pro Antivirus and avast! Internet Security.

2. It will work in trial mode for 30 days, so it is unrestricted use firewall avast pro and anti-spam modules. At that point it would cease to function unless you had registered (inserted the license).

Turning the avast firewall off isn't enough, you would have to actually uninstall that element to ensure there is no low level driver conflict with comodo firewall. From the windows add remove programs, select avast, change/remove; select Change in the next window and uncheck the firewall module and OK your way out.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 10:03:00 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Guitargold

Thanks, DavidR. I tried manually inserting by going to the 'insert activation code' under 'subscription,' but the insertion boxes don't correspond to the license key number.  I also tried following the instructions from the links you included, the same error message pops up every time.  Thanks for the explaination about firewall and 30 day trial.

Guitargold

FYI, when I click on 'change' during change/remove task you outlined, it just processes for about a second then says 'product was successfully update'

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Well presumably the update is talking about the removal of the avast firewall module, you shouldn't be able to see any reference to it in the avastUI ?

Where did you get your license ?
You should have received an email with either a link to download the license.avastlic file or that file as an attachment to the email ?

If you have the license.avastlic file you need to save it to your hard disk, from there you should just be able to double click it and avast should be able to do the rest.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
YoKenny, I turned Avast's firewall off; I only want it's anti-virus service (which by the way, how is the firewall working if it won't accept the license key????).
Disable is not enough. Go to Control Panel and change your AIS installation to uninstall the firewall.
Without the license, you can be in trial mode.
The best things in life are free.