Author Topic: QuickTime Alternative  (Read 24789 times)

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
QuickTime Alternative
« on: September 25, 2010, 01:56:16 AM »
Anyone here use QuickTime Alternative?
Pros?  Cons?  Do you recommend it?
Is it SECURE vs. the full latest QuickTime version?
Will QuickTime Alternative play MP3's straight from a link from a MyOpera file?
Or ONLY Files that are embedded in web pages?

I still have the OLD QuickTime version that gets installed by my AOL software.
It is so old that it is only like 2.6 Meg vs. the 32 Meg that is the latest version of QuickTime.  But, I really don't want to install the full latest version of QuickTime if QuickTime Alternative will do the job without problems or security risks.  I do not want to add a full 32 Meg to my already small 10 Gig Hard Drive if I can get away with only 18 Meg that is QuickTime Alternative.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 01:58:56 AM by Chim »
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: QuickTime Alternative
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 02:12:46 AM »
I used to use it on my old system and I didn't find any issues. I haven't got it on my current system as a) I'm not that much of a media user and b) even less when it came to quicktime formats. So I haven't come across a need for it.

The reason I went for QuickTime Alternative was QuickTime became a bloated behemoth and when installed wanted to take over the world including your PC and all medial file associations. Whereas QuickTime Alternative was much smaller and did what I told it to do and only associate itself with the quicktime media formats.

I think the main question is how much do you actually use QuickTime or rather only those media file formats you need quicktime or QuickTime Alternative for.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 02:21:09 AM »
Why not use jetAudio and cover all your media needs:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_jetaudio/
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 03:51:44 AM »
JetAudio is a 32MB download and would almost certainly be larger when installed.

Given what Chim said, I think that would be something he is trying to avoid bloat:
Quote from: Chim
I do not want to add a full 32 Meg to my already small 10 Gig Hard Drive if I can get away with only 18 Meg that is QuickTime Alternative.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 04:24:32 AM »
Yep, David, for sure QuickTime did become a bloated behemoth ... going from my old version's 2.6 Meg to the current 32 Meg.  :o

Like you, David, I too am NOT much of a media player user.  I don't play Audio CDs on my computer.  YouTubes ... VERY rarely.  They have to be REALLY short because of my Dial Up.  So yeah, extremely limited VidClip usage.

I have Windows Media Player 11 installed.  I just uninstalled RealPlayer yesterday.
I really just want QuickTime (Or QuickTime Alternative) to be available if some content on a webpage requires it.  Plus, for the occasional Audio (Voice) Clip that some of my MyOpera friends will post up.  And to play the Music Clips that I periodically record from my Casio Keyboard with Audacity Recorder.  I end up converting those to MP3s.  I found out that those Music Clips and my friends' Voice Clips will by default be played by QuickTime when I'm on Opera Browser, which is what I always use.

That plus I wanted to upgrade to a new, more SECURE version of QuickTime.  While my computer has NOT been infected in years, the fact of the matter is that my OLD QuickTime has GOT to by now be a security risk.  So, I was just trying to cover that base.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 04:27:12 AM »
Hmmm?  JetAudio, Eh, Bob?
Let me get a clarification.
Are you saying that JetAudio would cover ALL of the formats that are typically covered by my Windows Media Player 11 and QuickTime?  Are you saying that I could simply install JetAudio and uninstall both Windows Media Player 11 and QuickTime?

If that IS the case, then this just might be a good deal.  Cuz while JetAudio is 32 Meg ... by uninstalling Windows Media Player 11, I'd be getting rid of 50 Meg because it actually has 25 Meg for Windows Media Player 11 and another 25 Meg for Windows Media Player 11 Runtime ... whatever THAT is.  Then I'd also be getting rid of either QuickTime's 32 Meg or QuickTime Alternative's 18 Meg.

Either way, having exclusively JetAudio would be a good deal and allow me to regain some Hard Disk Space IF it really is All That and a Bag of Chips.

If I do opt for going with exclusively JetAudio though, I'd have to wait until I can get access to my sister's, friends', neighbors' or nephew's High Speed Internet to download it.  I am NOT gonna attempt downloading 32 Meg via my Dial Up.  :o

I did finish downloading QuickTime Alternative with my Dial Up a while ago though.  That was 18 Meg in around 1 hour and 50 minutes.  I'm gonna go install it right now.

Dch48

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 04:30:13 AM »
I use QT Lite, It has browser plugins for the major browsers and lets you play MOV files in a player like Media player Classic. True to it's name, it's much lighter than the full QuickTime.

Alan Baxter

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 05:43:31 AM »
I did finish downloading QuickTime Alternative with my Dial Up a while ago though.  That was 18 Meg in around 1 hour and 50 minutes.  I'm gonna go install it right now.

As far as I can tell, none of the downloads of QuickTime Alternative include anything newer than the QuickTime 7.6.6 files, which are insecure.  Now that you've downloaded QuickTime Alternative -- which includes Media Player Classic -- download QT Lite 4.0.0.  QT Lite 4.0.0 updates the QuickTime components to version 7.6.7, which patches the QuickTime Player Streaming Debug Error Logging Buffer Overflow vulnerability.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=9671.msg543440#msg543440

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 06:06:29 AM »
That's odd.  Softpedia had mentioned:
"QT Lite contains exactly the same components as QuickTime Alternative. The ONLY difference between the two packs is that QT Lite does not contain Media Player Classic." And that QT Lite contained --  7.66.71.0 QT version.

Plus I had read elsewhere that QT Lite was a dead project.
What do y'all know about that?
That was one of the reasons I had gone with QuickTime Alternative.

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 06:09:13 AM »
So then IF I were to install QT Lite ... I'd have to install Media Player Classic separately?

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 06:13:15 AM »
I'm curious as to what Bob will say regarding whether JetAudio can replace both my Windows Media Player 11 and QuickTime Alternative.

Alan Baxter

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 06:21:11 AM »
That's odd.  Softpedia had mentioned:
"QT Lite contains exactly the same components as QuickTime Alternative. The ONLY difference between the two packs is that QT Lite does not contain Media Player Classic." And that QT Lite contained --  7.66.71.0 QT version.

Odd indeed.
"QT Lite contains exactly the same components as QuickTime Alternative. The ONLY difference between the two packs is that QT Lite does not contain Media Player Classic." is true when QT Lite and QuickTime Alternative have the same version number, e.g. version 3.2.2, which contains the 7.6.6 components.  I couldn't find a 4.0.0 version of QuickTime Alternative yet yesterday when I last looked.  It doesn't matter though because I already have Media Player Classic.

Plus I had read elsewhere that QT Lite was a dead project.
What do y'all know about that?
That was one of the reasons I had gone with QuickTime Alternative.

What you read elsewhere is incorrect.  Obviously QT Lite isn't dead.

So then IF I were to install QT Lite ... I'd have to install Media Player Classic separately?

Yes.

Edit: Softpedia links.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Codec-Packs-Video-Codecs/QuickTime-Lite.shtml
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Video-Players/QuickTime-Alternative.shtml
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 06:24:30 AM by Alan Baxter »

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 06:37:07 AM »
Okay, thanks for the clarification, Alan.
I'll see if in the morning I download QT Lite.

Is all that other stuff necessary?
With QuickTime Alternative, I was prompted whether I wanted to install some MS Visual C++ something or other Distribution Package.  Do I NEED that?  What does that do?  It seemed to take a while to install.

And there were 2 other Apple "Prerequisites" that I reluctantly checked to go ahead and download because well ... it said "Prerequisites."

Alan Baxter

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 08:13:37 AM »
You're welcome.

Is all that other stuff necessary?
With QuickTime Alternative, I was prompted whether I wanted to install some MS Visual C++ something or other Distribution Package.  Do I NEED that?  What does that do?  It seemed to take a while to install.

And there were 2 other Apple "Prerequisites" that I reluctantly checked to go ahead and download because well ... it said "Prerequisites."

Since all those things are checked by default in QuickTime Alternative 3.2.2, then you did the right thing to install them.  But it doesn't matter.  QT Lite will require you to uninstall QuickTime Alternative before you install it anyway.

Before you uninstall QuickTime Alternative though, make a copy of the Media Player Classic folder, D:\Program Files\QuickTime Alternative\Media Player Classic.  If I were you I'd copy it to D:\Program Files\Media Player Classic and then create a shortcut to D:\Program Files\Media Player Classic\mplayerc.exe on your desktop, or wherever you like to put stuff like that.

Uninstall QuickTime Alternative and then install QT Lite 4.0.0.  Let QT Lite install all the components it has checked by default.

Edit: Corrected shortcut.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 07:39:52 PM by Alan Baxter »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 04:02:04 PM »
VLC MEDIA PLAYER will do all your needs with ease plus be able to play quick time straight through your browser, plays all formats and video from your camera for and all codec's are are auto installed and setup including h264 for free.