Author Topic: Can you help me understand why is Avast free antivirus 5.0 better than 4.8?  (Read 7838 times)

Tunez

I have Avast! Free Antivirus 4.8 and it should expire in a few days, I have loved it and I dont want to let it go :( but since its expiring soon theres no choice but to get Avast free antivirus 5.0, I have seen a few vids on 5.0 review that it doesnt respond to some viruses well, watch this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0fhfnrOEOE and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVxlZOoUhV0

I hope you guys can help me

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can you help me understand why is Avast free antivirus 5.0 better than 4.8?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 12:11:50 AM »
First this is in the wrong sub-forum, which is for the server version of avast only my curiosity got the better of me got me to read it.

First there are many things that make avast 5 better than 4.8, more functions, better detection rate, lighter on resources, improved User Interface (UI) which is much more user friendly, etc. etc. It really is no contest, if your OS is supported (not win9.x, winME), then you should update to avast 5.

Avast 5 has been out for 8 months, not to mention support for avast 4.8 is likely to cease at the end of this year; hence the update pop-us to avoid everyone trying to update at the very last minute, overloading servers.

Personally I trust youtube as far as I can throw it (which is you can't) with reviews, etc. by so called armchair malware experts, where you haven't a clue how they have tested or what their settings are. You only need look independent testing sites like av-comparatives, etc to see just how well avast compares.

See http://www.avast.com/pr-avast-free-antivirus-is-a-suite-performer
This relates to this test the Symantec sponsored test at Denis Publications labs, http://www.dennistechnologylabs.com/reports/security/anti-malware/symantec/, in which avast free did better than many paid suites and 4th overall in the test.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Tunez

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 12:27:43 AM »
Im sorry for putting this in the wrong section, Im going to read those links

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 01:11:53 AM »
No problem.

Whilst the links provide some interesting information, there really is no contest, between 4.8 and 5.0, update to avast5.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Tunez

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 01:27:46 AM »
thanks man  :)

ShirlR53

I Love avast 4.8 it is great 5.0 says every thing is a virus even things that come in with windows. I wish you could just keep 4.8 and just add new definition's for it. I have customer's I put it on their computer and they can run it better then most virus programs it works great for them to.
So Please keep it or make new one like it. Thank you hope you can help all that still likes it.

Gargamel360

I Love avast 4.8 it is great 5.0 says every thing is a virus even things that come in with windows. I wish you could just keep 4.8 and just add new definition's for it. I have customer's I put it on their computer and they can run it better then most virus programs it works great for them to.
So Please keep it or make new one like it. Thank you hope you can help all that still likes it.

If it says everything is infected.......have you stopped to think it might be true, that Avast! 5 is better than 4, therefore it is detecting what 4 could not?

Either way, that is not normal behavior.

comsats

I personally like avast 5 because of its new feature SAND BOX / we can make any file Virtually secure from sand box. And some network tools i.e tracing i.p address/domains etc
hmm i guess its in avast 5 internet security  ??? :P ::)